PDA

View Full Version : .Zip files

oobievision
06-07-2008, 10:05 AM
when compressing a file, what compression software do you use.

I use 7zip, pretty good compression I recently ziped an 8.4 gig avi file down 1.5 gigs thought it was impressive. though u can only use 7zip to open it wich is the sad part and it doesnt make em self unzip but its great for archiving. heres the link. Free download open source.

http://www.7-zip.org/

walfridson
06-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Well.. What codec compression did you use on the avi? :)

Winrar here.

Hopper
06-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Keep in mind that it's not really what software you use as far as how much you can compress a file. It's the actual file(s) themselves. A standard text file has a compression ratio of over 80%. Binaries - not so much. Try zipping an MP3 and see what you get.

I find RAR formats to squeeze a little bit more out of a file than ZIP, but RAR simply isn't as popular yet.

What .. no one uses ARC or LZH anymore? :D

manholoz
06-07-2008, 12:29 PM
I agree with Hopper.

BTW, Winrar can open 7z files...

Mitja
06-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I agree with Hopper.

BTW, Winrar can open 7z files...

I read so, but I tryed and I couldn't open the 7z file.
Maybe because it was a multipart file...dunno.
Standard WinRara works fine enough for me!

Oedo 808
06-07-2008, 09:14 PM
I use .7z where possible, but the fact that it's not as widely used as other formats can be a problem when sending to others. There are a couple of issues such as transfer of .7z files will occasionally cut off and report as 'complete' before fully transferred, this is particularly a problem with slow connections. Also many file hosting sites do not support this format.

But still it's easily my first choice when it comes to compression, some may be interested to know that I get up to 10% better compression on smaller files when using PowerArchiver as opposed to the 7-Zip download, not that it wouldn't do the same for larger files, I've just never done a comparison with larger files so I couldn't say.

IMI
06-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Keep in mind that it's not really what software you use as far as how much you can compress a file. It's the actual file(s) themselves. A standard text file has a compression ratio of over 80%. Binaries - not so much. Try zipping an MP3 and see what you get.

I find RAR formats to squeeze a little bit more out of a file than ZIP, but RAR simply isn't as popular yet.

What .. no one uses ARC or LZH anymore? :D

I agree with Hopper too.
Except for the part about Winrar not being as popular. Well, I agree that's likely factually correct, but I disagree it should be that way.

The people who help perpetuate WinZip's hold on the zipping market are the same people who have caused us to have to choose either Windows or Mac - the Quick-Fix, easy answer, microwave popcorn, Instant Oatmeal Society.

They probably watch American Idol religiously, too. And I bet they think Pizza Hut invented pizza. :D

Hopper
06-07-2008, 09:40 PM
The people who help perpetuate WinZip's hold on the zipping market are the same people who have caused us to have to choose either Windows or Mac - the Quick-Fix, easy answer, microwave popcorn, Instant Oatmeal Society.

They probably watch American Idol religiously, too. And I bet they think Pizza Hut invented pizza. :D
Amen brother.

It's time to move on. WinRAR has such a better feature set. The fact that Winblows builds ZIP functionality into the file explorer doesn't help. Plus it's about the poorest implementation I've ever seen. Nothing like having Explorer chew up your CPU while it tries to peer into every zip file in the directory when you drill down to it. Every time I reload an OS with Windows I have to remember to remove the ZIP association from explorer. It keeps you from pulling out your hair waiting 30 minutes just to get into a directory.

Tech tip for removing the zip from explorer:

Start-> Run

regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

iojabba
06-07-2008, 11:15 PM
Amen brother.

It's time to move on. WinRAR has such a better feature set. The fact that Winblows builds ZIP functionality into the file explorer doesn't help. Plus it's about the poorest implementation I've ever seen. Nothing like having Explorer chew up your CPU while it tries to peer into every zip file in the directory when you drill down to it. Every time I reload an OS with Windows I have to remember to remove the ZIP association from explorer. It keeps you from pulling out your hair waiting 30 minutes just to get into a directory.

Start-> Run

Good tip there. Thanks

IMI
06-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Amen brother.

Start-> Run

Yeah, Winrar is da Bomb, The Sh1t.
The bees knees or the cat's pajamas, for our older members. ;)

I never messed with it until someone pointed out the automatic archiving it can do, which WinZip can't (or at least couldn't at the time, I don't know now.)

Winzip is like 24 gauge cat3 telephone wiring: Almost there, but not quite enough for today's needs, but trying to hang in there...
It's like a Boston Cream donut with NutraSweet...
Like a table with one irregular leg...
A bath towel coated with fiberglass insulation...
A room lamp with a 25 watt bulb...
A menthol cigarette with the filter cut off...
A fishing trip on a charter boat with no beer...

It's like a politician who actually tells the truth - functional, but short-lived. ;)

oobievision
06-11-2008, 10:06 PM
the Avi was a uncompressed. needed it that way so I could later upload it to a scoreboard server.