PDA

View Full Version : PCI Express video card in an older machine?

Tom Wood
06-05-2008, 12:38 PM
I have a machine with a SuperMicro X5DA8 motherboard, bought in 2003 or thereabouts. I'm using a Nvidia Quadro FX 500/600 video card with 128 MB of memory in what I "think" is a regular PCI slot.

I want to upgrade the video card for one with more memory, but all the new cards mention "PCI Express" as part of the specs. Can I use those video cards in my older machine?

Thanks,

Lito
06-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Nope you will need a new motherboard to use the new PCI-Express cards. If your board still has an AGP slot you might be able to get a slight older card for that slot.

Tom Wood
06-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Bummer, how can I determine which slot the card is in? I can't quite decipher the System Information listings.

CC Rider
06-05-2008, 01:09 PM
If your machine is that old, there's pretty much no chance of it being PCI express...
If you look in the machine, the pci slots are most likely going to be white and the AGP slot will be brown. Usually the AGP slot is the one that's closest to the processor with all the pci slots underneath.
If you don't want to open up the machine, you can look in Device manager.
find your display adapter the right click and choose properties.
The 3rd or 4th line will say something like:
or

:)

Tom Wood
06-05-2008, 02:01 PM
AGP - That's the other acronym I was trying to think of. I'll open the box and look, no fears there. :D

EDIT: Any advice on shopping for a 512 MB card that will work in this machine?

Titus
06-05-2008, 05:23 PM
I have a machine with a SuperMicro X5DA8 motherboard, bought in 2003 or thereabouts. I'm using a Nvidia Quadro FX 500/600 video card with 128 MB of memory in what I "think" is a regular PCI slot.

I want to upgrade the video card for one with more memory, but all the new cards mention "PCI Express" as part of the specs. Can I use those video cards in my older machine?

Thanks,

I have the same motherboard on one of my machines, right now with a Quadro FX 1100. The further you can go is AGP, and the motherboard manual should say something like PCI-E or PCI-X, this slot is a "fast" PCI but it isn't the same as PCI express.

Jim_C
06-05-2008, 06:13 PM
EDIT: Any advice on shopping for a 512 MB card that will work in this machine?

Since it will be the weak link in your system when it comes to Speed Edit Display.... buy the fastest nvidia 7 series 4x/8x AGP you can afford with as high of memory and core clock as you can get. I think most core clocks will be 350-400 and memory clocks the same although I think there were a few with memory clock up around 700 or 800. (pulling from memory when I last bought an AGP for my supermicro)

Hopper
06-05-2008, 06:15 PM
One thing to consider if your board uses AGP is the actual revision. Is it AGP 8x or AGP 4x ? An 8x will still work with a 4x, but you'd be wasting money at that point because your performance won't be much better than your old card. Unless you can find one for a couple of bucks (which I'm sure they're everywhere by now).

A friend of mine gave me his AGP 8x GeForce 6200 to replace my burned out T3 500. Absolutely no difference in most graphics and gaming apps. The card scaled to 4x because the Dell 8200 series doesn't support 8x. It's still cranking though.

Jim_C
06-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Luckily the X5DA8 is 8X/4X AGP pro

SBowie
06-05-2008, 08:33 PM
Tom, seriously, it's time to replace the system. A quad-core box that would absolutely smoke your current one would be a fraction of what you paid for it when new - and it would come with a new PCI-E card. ;)

Tom Wood
06-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Tom, seriously, it's time to replace the system. A quad-core box that would absolutely smoke your current one would be a fraction of what you paid for it when new - and it would come with a new PCI-E card. ;)

No way Steve, I'm running it until it drops! :D

I'm doing little cartoons for the web and don't really need high performance graphics for VT4. It's LightWave that's giving me hell again. I'd bypassed it with my earlier animation method using pre-rendered clips, so the lousy audio playing from the LightWave timeline didn't affect me.

But now I'm doing full animation in LightWave and having to listen to the audio to set the in/out points for the character dialogue. I remember way back when I first complained about the lousy audio (lots of static and skips) in LightWave and Newtek tech said it may be related to the video card. Doesn't make sense, but apparently there's some shared resources in there somewhere. So I just need a card with more memory, I think.

Tom Wood
06-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Since it will be the weak link in your system when it comes to Speed Edit Display.... buy the fastest nvidia 7 series 4x/8x AGP you can afford with as high of memory and core clock as you can get. I think most core clocks will be 350-400 and memory clocks the same although I think there were a few with memory clock up around 700 or 800. (pulling from memory when I last bought an AGP for my supermicro)

I'm considering one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/512MB-nVIDIA-Geforce-7600GS-7600-GS-AGP-8X-Video-Card_W0QQitemZ270247614384QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3762Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is there a deal-killer in the specs there?

One thing that concerns me, I am still using dual 17" LCD monitors. They both have both DVI and VGA connections. I currently use a PCI video card that has both one DVI and one VGA port, so each monitor uses one of those ports on the video card, one on DVI and one on VGA. I span the monitors using the nVidia setup manager. Is it safe to assume this new AGP card will work the same way?

Thanks,

mattclary
06-20-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm considering one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/512MB-nVIDIA-Geforce-7600GS-7600-GS-AGP-8X-Video-Card_W0QQitemZ270247614384QQihZ017QQcategoryZ3762Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is there a deal-killer in the specs there?

One thing that concerns me, I am still using dual 17" LCD monitors. They both have both DVI and VGA connections. I currently use a PCI video card that has both one DVI and one VGA port, so each monitor uses one of those ports on the video card, one on DVI and one on VGA. I span the monitors using the nVidia setup manager. Is it safe to assume this new AGP card will work the same way?

Thanks,

Go here, not e-bay!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609639+106790717&name=GeForce+7+series

And I agree, you need to buy or build a new system. You wouldn't even have to spend that much to have a better system!

Tom Wood
06-20-2008, 01:26 PM
If your machine is that old, there's pretty much no chance of it being PCI express...
If you look in the machine, the pci slots are most likely going to be white and the AGP slot will be brown. Usually the AGP slot is the one that's closest to the processor with all the pci slots underneath.
If you don't want to open up the machine, you can look in Device manager.
find your display adapter the right click and choose properties.
The 3rd or 4th line will say something like:
or

:)

Why do I always get the bizarre situations....

Device Manager says the video card location is: PCI bus1, device 0, function 0

But when I opened the case, the current video card is in the AGP slot.

Huh?

CC Rider
06-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Actually, that is normal.
Device manager looks at things a little bit differently than just looking at the properties tab for my computer.
In device manager, your AGP will be listed as being in PCI slot 1, which in your case will actually be your AGP slot.
(seems clear enough to me...NOT)

Why they list it this way...I don't know.
But here, just trust your eyes.
If you see it plugged in to the AGP slot then you are good to go
(again, the AGP slot will be the top most slot on the MoBo closest to the CPU)

But like others have said here...
A new system will be money much better spent than buying outdated technology!

Tom Wood
06-24-2008, 07:22 PM
I decided to take a chance on the 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS. Nominal improvement in LightWave for the audio, so it will make working somewhat better. The "static" is gone but there are still click/skips.

And, now I can use the "Pro" emitters in Particle Illusion, so that's a bonus.

Back to work...

Wrap
06-25-2008, 02:09 AM
[QUOTE=Tom Wood;707702]No way Steve, I'm running it until it drops! :D

How about getting a new quad core system and still running your old machine as part of a render farm?

Tom Wood
06-25-2008, 06:58 AM
[QUOTE=Tom Wood;707702]No way Steve, I'm running it until it drops! :D

How about getting a new quad core system and still running your old machine as part of a render farm?

Eventually, eventually....

Hey, how come everybody is so intent on me spending money? :D

I'm not really a 'computer person' and the thought of trying to move all my software to a new system at this time is too daunting. But a question - My system drive is a SCSI disk. Can I use Acronis to clone it to a new non-SCSI disk, then install that disk as the system drive in a new system?

Jim_C
06-25-2008, 07:03 AM
You mean your system disk with your operating system on it?
No.
The windows install is tied into the hardware.
A storage disk can be moved like that yes, but there wouldn't be a need for the cloning.

Titus
06-25-2008, 09:10 AM
You mean your system disk with your operating system on it?
No.
The windows install is tied into the hardware.

He only needs to call MS to activate Windows.