PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with this scene

nolan5678
06-05-2008, 03:06 AM
I'm still very new to lightwave, and ive been working on this scene for a few days now.
I've kinda hit a brick wall, dont really know what to do to improve this scene, any advice will be helpful.

meshpig
06-05-2008, 03:32 AM
Bit of an open-ended question.

-How about zipping the folder over so others can play around with it?

m:)

nolan5678
06-05-2008, 04:03 AM
I realize that there are numerous ways one would go about improving this scene, telling me this doesnt help me.
Maybe you could just tell me what you think the weaker aspects of my scene are and what aspects of the scene you think I should focus my energy on improving, eg, the lightings ****, the textures.
Maybe you see a problem that relates to a problem you encountered and could tell me how you fixed it.

meshpig
06-05-2008, 05:05 AM
OK, no problem.

Firstly, the wall textures have too much z axis emphasis ie. they're looking too wide left to right scale-wise.

- The lighting is flat as in suggests only 2 dimensions because the camera angle is ipso facto not yielding any compositional advantage etc.

... I mean the "problem" is more to do with how you've turned the image out compositionally than any specific technique apart from some of the texture projection in the foreground. Try showing it isometrically?

m

RollerJesus
06-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Rather than actual isometric, I think you should try setting the camera to what would approximate the level of a human eye.

Also, try adding in some detail where some of your surfaces meet so it's not just an abrupt change.

It's a bit dark on the left.

A larger render would help too with critiquing the textures.

Surrealist.
06-07-2008, 11:57 PM
I don't have a problem with the static camera angle. That is a choice. And you see this often in adds, artistic shots of doorways, widows, graffiti etc. Not every shot has to be at an angle. You even see this effect in films. It is one of the many choices of camera angles. It just depends on the effect you want.

For the rest of the scene I would work on it in stages:

For lighting:

Turn off any ambient light if you have any. That will kill the lighting effect and make the textures appear flat.

Then disable all textures, turn off all lights and try a render with Final Gather just to see how that effects the subtleties. For that render just make the BG something like white to start. You will see how it puts darkess in the areas that block ambient light. This is good and will help some of the parts of your render that look flat.

Then put the BG back to Black and try turning lights on one by one and adjusting the level. Work till you get the lighting so it looks interesting. Having darkness in parts of the image is a good thing if you are going for mood. Turn on raytrace shadows and work on putting the shadows where you want.

Then for your textures:

In a fresh scene with no lighting effects. Start putting textures on one by one and tweak them.

Where the surfaces meet you could add a gap to show the change from one material to the next. That would be a good place to start.

Looks like you have done quite a bit of work here already. But a few adjustments then save the model(s) and then load up your lighting scene again and then adjust for any things that would need to change with the textures applied.

Some would argue to do the textures first and then apply the lighting to that. I just like seeing he lighting without textures first, that's me.

Good luck with it.

rakker16mm
06-08-2008, 03:07 AM
I'm just going to say there are no depth cues so it reads as flat.

Flat can be a style but then you need other strong compositional elements to carry the scene. If you want to create the illusion of depth it is probably best not to shoot the wall straight on. Also placing objects in your scene will help give a sense of scale especially if they diminish is size and detail as they recede from the camera.