PDA

View Full Version : Change the "skew" of an object

jtoney7852
06-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Before I get too deep in this topic, let me give some background information...

Some of you might have seen me working on an Enterprise D Bridge model. The model was an original concept by SeanR who has done many bridges before. I was able to secure a truespace version which I converted to lightwave.

Now, the bridge was modeled after something seen on the television series. The problem is that it doesn't quite match the one used on my film (Star Trek the Experience mockup). The main problem is that the raised flooring in the rear section (model) is much higher than that real deal. This is probably due to fire code regulations. I have attached a picture showing how low the floor actually rests. I think its about foot, but I am just guessing.

The problem for me is going to be how to lower the raised flow and everything that will be affected to get the aspect I need. If I were using photoshop, I would simply skew correct the image lowering one side (just for representation purposes).

I am not sure how to accomplish this task. It's not as simple as moving a floor up or down, the walls will also be affected by this move. Do anyone of you know how I could correct these problems? Please see photos...

Surrealist.
06-04-2008, 10:06 PM
From what I can see, I would work from the front back. Is there a screen in this set? Or is the front open. Not sure how much deatail is in the front. I can see the front chairs. But I would take those, the command chairs and the floor and raise it, leaving the back alone. Then make the sides even with this.

Not enough information in what you have given here to make any more detailed assessment. I would have to look at the model in modeler or see a series of very detailed screen grabs from all angles in wire frame shade.

jtoney7852
06-05-2008, 06:39 AM
I will render those out this evening. I will take out the chairs so you can get a better perspective.

jtoney7852
06-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Here is what you requested...

jtoney7852
06-05-2008, 05:58 PM
More...

jtoney7852
06-05-2008, 06:02 PM
And more...

jtoney7852
06-05-2008, 06:05 PM
And Finally...

Surrealist.
06-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Wow! Plenty of info there. So the next question is how are your modeling skills?

jtoney7852
06-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Fair but not excellent. Fortunately I have someone working with me but we are both at a block on this one...

Surrealist.
06-05-2008, 10:54 PM
OK, Good.

If the floor is level, I am going to assume the archways are too. That I think is going to be the key here. Notice that the archways step down. The ones in the front are one level and the ones in the back are higher.

So start there. Since there is a curvature along the top those are going to have to be recut to match the back archways. You can not get away with just moving it up. So just re-boolean the arch and duplicate the tripling.

This is the one thing that being able to do the rest is going to depend on because it will give you the headroom you need to then move the floor and the other wall components and then adjust the wall angle near the floor. You will have to do this all in small steps with a different tool for each thing until you get it all lined up. This will keep the same headroom for characters and makes the most sense to me.

Then the screen is your next major issue. Because the aspect ratio is going to change. For this part I would use the stretch tool. Everything else I would be moving points and/or groups of polys. Maybe one or two things you might have to stretch a little. But the screen you will have to stretch. (actually squash)

If the aspect ratio is key for this, have your shots figured out so you can use a separate correct-aspect-ratio-screen object (your original before you make these changes) behind those shots and if you have to do any panning avoid the floor and ceiling.

Good luck with it. :)

jtoney7852
06-06-2008, 06:13 AM
When you say "archways" to what are you referring?

Surrealist.
06-06-2008, 06:51 AM
The passageways onto the bridge in the back and front sides.

The back one is the main entrance. The one on the side also covers an equipment panel and then leads into an area with two doors. (I think this is basically the same on both sides)

Leave the back ones as is. And then recut the front side ones. Will give you head room to move everything in the front up.

Notice there is a curve in the ceiling panel they are cut into.

jtoney7852
06-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Here are some other photos...

jtoney7852
06-06-2008, 10:08 PM
And finally....

Surrealist.
06-07-2008, 07:06 AM
Oh OK from those new angles I can see that the floor does slope slightly on the real set.

I can also see that the difference between the two is such that you could easily get away with just lowering the floor in the back rather than the other way around. Keep the walls and things on it as is but lower the points on the bottom of the wall objects to be then even with the slope of the new floor. You may want to make a few adjustments here and there but I think that would be a good starting strategy without actually looking at the object file.

jtoney7852
06-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Well I managed to bring the floor down to where it needed to be. Then I came to a point where I had to figure out what I was going to do with the wall.

So we stretched it out a bit to make it even with the carpeted area. Im not sure it its right but I think it will work. What do you think?

Surrealist.
06-09-2008, 01:11 AM
You won't be able to tell. Stretching was an option but I was not sure how precise you wanted to get. I just think as long as the basics are there you are good. Anything that is questionable you can just cheat the camera angle if you need to. But on that note I have no idea what kind of shots you are looking to get out of the 3D version of the set, so you can make the best judgment.