PDA

View Full Version : Why me, all my files?

We-Co
06-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi LightWavers.

I have recently run into some trouble. Just the other day I found a sweet desk, big enough to fit my monitors and computer, but small enough not to block the entrance in the room. During all this commotion to get this desk in the room I had to take apart my computer and put it back together again.

Anyways when it was all setup and I decide to mess around with Vue. Well Vue kept on crashing on me so I went to my external hard drive to get the upgrade files for Vue off it. Guess what, yep youíre right it didnít work. I tried different cords, different slots, but still nothing.

Basically what Iím trying to say here is keep all the important stuff away from a moving zone, and also does anybody here have a remedy for recovering files from broken eternal drive?

Ember
06-03-2008, 12:12 PM
http://www.ibas.com/

Gonna cost you though so I don't think it's worth it unless you had some really expensive files on your harddrive (like an almost completed project for a client). A rough way to learn about the importance of taking backups...

Hipcheck
06-03-2008, 12:18 PM
file scavenger! worth every penny of the 50 bux. Saved me once and a buddy once. Highest marks!

JBT27
06-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Archiving.....seems that it doesn't matter what you do, how safe, how many, at some point you're going to lose stuff. Happened to us a bit, seems there's no rhyme or reason.

The only thing you can also do perhaps is keep your 3D assets extra safe and extra archived.....paranoia can be your friend here :D

Seriously, finding a foolproof workflow for archiving drives us nuts sometimes.

Julian.

Jim_C
06-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Do you know if they external interface is fried or the drive itself?
Try the drive in another external interface or plug it in inside the machine.

The drive might be fine.

jin choung
06-03-2008, 01:18 PM
right,

this has happened to me LOTS of times. for some reason external harddrive enclosures are finickyassbiotches... i don't know wtf makes them so touchy but they stop working at the drop of a hat.

keep trying to get it to work until you're satisfied it doesn't. cuz your next step might involve cracking the case.

next step: you're gonna open the case and pull out the hard drive. it is a DEAD STANDARD PATA hard drive inside of that enclosure! the very same kind that is probably your current C: drive.

remove the cables attaching the hard drive to the enclosure and then get cables to hook it up to your computer's mobo. you might need to switch it slave or master depending on your circumstances.

your data should be fine. it's probably just your enclosure that went tittts up.

jin

Bytehawk
06-03-2008, 01:27 PM
if the drive's really dead and not the housing, try to put it in the freezer for an night and the immediatly turn it on, it might work for a few minutes because the cold slightly shrinks the metal.

Jim_C
06-03-2008, 01:37 PM
if the drive's really dead and not the housing, try to put it in the freezer for an night and the immediatly turn it on, it might work for a few minutes because the cold slightly shrinks the metal.

Yea this actually worked for me the one time I tried it...
But the drive was making that dreaded ticking sound with no report at all, in dskmgmt or my computer when I did it...

FWIW.. what I did...

Put drive in ziploc bag, put in 2 or 3 ddesiccants or silica-gel packets to absorb moisture....
put that ziploc into another ziploc.
Freeze overnight...

Then I plugged it in and at first the drive made no sound, then after about 2 seconds it spun up and sounded like an icescraper on a windshield for about 1 minute, but still not recognized...
Then the ice scraper sound went away and it was replaced by a normal drive in use sound. (NO ticking)
Then the drive appeared in my computer.

I was able to get all 180gigs off of it almost twice (going for a backup) when the ticking returned and the drive disappeared from my computer and dsk mgmt for the last time.

Lito
06-03-2008, 02:11 PM
If you power it on and it doesn't seem to be getting power then the controller or the power supply is probably dead. It might very well be that the HD inside is fine so if don't mind voiding the warranty then taking it apart and putting it into your PC will probably let you pull all the data off the drive without problems.

We-Co
06-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Hmmmm... Yeah, it starts up but it won’t boot up in the Hard Drive Disks view of the My Computer folder. I didn’t even know there was a HD in this case; I thought the case was the HD. That’s good to know because maybe I can pull it out of the case and plug it in.

Should I take it out of the case though, or let a pro look at it? Also when I do turn it on I can hear some ticking noises is that bad?

If that doesn't work I'll do the freezer thing.

COBRASoft
06-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Carbonite, money well spent :)

jin choung
06-03-2008, 06:38 PM
if you're not going to do it yourself, you have to take it to someone who knows what they're doing and knows what you're trying to do (in removing the case).

if you've attached a pata drive to your mobo, you can do it yourself.

what kind of external drive is it? do a google search on it to find specs and perhaps even instructions on removing.

i had a western digital "MY BOOK" and the only real way to pull it out was to start cracking plastic.

anyway, as i said, your data is probably fine. it's probably the external enclosure. start googling till you feel comfortable and break out your tools.

jin

p.s. better thing than to take it to a pro is to take it to a gearhead friend who you can point this thread out to and see if he gets the idea....

Dodgy
06-03-2008, 08:39 PM
I've had external harddrive tick when they weren't getting enough power. I usually use them with just the USB cable, but some usb ports don't provide the power so an external power supply might give it enough juice to get going.