PDA

View Full Version : Help a newbie to add eyebrows !

hub73
06-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Hi !

i'm newbie so could you advert me on the best choice to add eyebrows to my model (see picture) !

1) I don't know what's the best choice : put them into another layer or no ? (i want animate the eyes later, open and close with morph).

http://www.zigwigwis.com/lw/visage_lea.gif

2) What is the best tool to create the eyebrows ? Could you describe me your method !

Many thanks to share your experience !!!

SP00
06-03-2008, 07:37 PM
I would bulge out an area that will represent the eye brow and texture it. If you want to go more realistic, you would create polygons sheets and layer them then use textures with an alpha channel on them. If want close intimate details on the brow, you can create 1 strain of hair, and point clone it all over the brow area.

Surrealist.
06-03-2008, 08:06 PM
For something simple there, for a cartoon look like you have, I would go with the same concept you did for the hair. Just create some simple geometry and place it above each eye and conform it to the surface of the face. Make sure it has the same control points so you can morph it along with the eyes.

hub73
06-03-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks for your help. It is a cartoon head, i've not planned to use one strain of hair.

conform it to the surface of the face
This seems simple but i've some difficulties to do this. How to conform the new poly to the face ? Drill tool ??? (i use the 9.3). How to have the same control point too.

i copy to above polygons and put them into another layer to work on it and deform them, but they seems not have the same form when there are not attached to the rest of the head (subpatch) !

Surrealist.
06-04-2008, 01:04 AM
1) In the front view and in another layer draw out a polygon in the shape of the eyebrow where you want it with the Pen tool.

Keep it simple. And plan it so you have control points near where they are on the face so it will be easy for the morph to match. Also make an even number of points that when connected with edges will make quads.

2) Then in the perspective view. Use the Drag tool to drag the points so they conform to the face. Get as close as you can.

3) Use the bevel tool to give it a loop around the edge. Click and drag left will bring it in slightly. Make an even thin control loop around the outside. This will leave a poly in the middle that has more than 4 points most likely.

4)Connect the points in the middle with the add edges tool to make quad polys.

5) Add some thickness with the Extrude tool. (You can then delete the middle polys on the backside and leave the edge as a lip.)

You can then tweak it to make it rounder and so on withe the drag tool.

Do all of this in plymode with subd off. Just hit TAB to test your results from time to time.

6) Mirror.

7) Cut and paste to face layer.

Now you can animate the brows separately if you want to go that style or animate them along with the face.

hub73
06-04-2008, 01:15 AM
control points
Thanks surrealist, but what'are exactly 'control points' ?

Surrealist.
06-04-2008, 01:38 AM
Control Points - just a term really. Comes probably from other animation packages. But in this case it is just the points in your model. When you are creating a morph you are moving points basically so you want points on the brow to match where they are on the head. Or you could say edges that line up so the points line up. I use the term control points simply to mean the points you would be moving in modeler to create the shapes of the morph that will then be animated.

In other packages you would perhaps be animating these points directly, or set up groups of points to animate areas of the face. In LW we do this with bones and morphs primarily.

Regarding the steps I laid out.

My bad,

Wait till you get to #4 to do #2.

Also you will find the DragNet tool very handy for this. You can RMB drag to adjust the little blue circle of influence.

Here is my end result:

Front showing the polyflow as well as the edges lining up with the model.

You can have more edges than in the face if you want but make sure you have some lined up with the face.

And back - showing the lip I am talking about.

And obviously this is just a quick simple example. You can made any shape you want.

I worked it to make the thing kind of rounded on the front - you get the idea.

hub73
06-04-2008, 05:52 AM
Very clear infos now. Many thanks for your help Surrealist !

Surrealist.
06-04-2008, 09:06 AM
No prob.

Good luck with her. :)

hub73
06-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Here my first try :
http://zigwigwis.com/lw/visage_lea_2.gif

Surrealist, could you post a waveframe view zoomed on the ear of your previous character ? I've not idea to increase the detail level of them into my own model. I'm searching to preserve the cartoon style.

Thanks again !

Surrealist.
06-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Not bad. Maybe give it a little more rounded shape in profile.

She did not have any ears yet. LOL!

I don't have any cartoon ear examples. Mine are all more realistic. I would just look at a picture of an ear and simplify it. All you really need is a little Y hump to sell it. Maybe give her a little lobe. Perhaps someone can post a cartoon ear. There are probably a few ways to go with that.

karlieman
06-04-2008, 01:52 PM
hey guys i was wondering how u guys take the screen shots of your models in modeler.:D:thumbsup::lwicon:

SP00
06-04-2008, 04:43 PM
PC - Print screen
Mac - Command + Shift + 3

Hub73 - You should check out Surrealist Subpatch Modeling tutorials, it helped me out a lot :thumbsup:

Hopper
06-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Hmmm... for a newbie, you sure have great polyflow. I know the model isn't highly detailed but I thought it was great anyway.

-Cheers

borkus
06-04-2008, 07:57 PM
hey guys i was wondering how u guys take the screen shots of your models in modeler.

mwsnap3 (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/mwsnap.html)

my favorite so far. very easy to use and free.

hub73
06-05-2008, 05:38 AM
Hi !
i trying to find some cartoon ear pictures from google. But nothing yet ! Is someone have a better idea / link ?
Thanks !

hub73
06-08-2008, 09:03 AM
http://www.zigwigwis.com/lw/lea_avec_casque.jpg
Just a quick last work preview on this model. I continue to improve it !

Surrealist.
06-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey pretty cool. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.:)