PDA

View Full Version : WeightMap Node scaler question

sculptactive
06-03-2008, 05:20 AM
Ok
What it the best node to add that enables you to add or subtract Opacity to the WMap in the Node editor.

Thanks

MooseDog
06-03-2008, 07:56 AM
put a gradient node in between the weight map and the image nodes. pipe the weightmap into the input of the gradient, and the color of the gradient into the opacity of the image node. play with white and black in the gradient to get what you want.

sculptactive
06-03-2008, 08:45 AM
Many thanks MooseDog

sculptactive
06-03-2008, 10:53 AM
The Gradient worked great.

I have now added a Color Layer between the Image and the surface.

Is this the correct place for it in the node flow? It seems to work how I want it to, but maybe there's rules about the sequence of nodes.

Thanks.

Maxx
06-05-2008, 07:20 AM
It may offer more control to set up a couple keys in the gradient node (turn on show key), then pipe the first color node into one key, the image into the other key. Use the weight map value output as the input for gradient, and adjust the gradient as necessary. Pipe the color output into the corresponding input on the standard node, and you should be good to go.

Although, if you're getting the results you want, what the heck. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? :D

I don't think there are many hard and fast rules about node flow, though mixing and matching can result in some unexpected behavior and/or results.

sculptactive
06-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Maxx Thanks for the suggestions.
You are right, using the keys gives you more control.

JBT27
06-07-2008, 05:37 AM
Pumping nodes into gradient keys is one of the nice and new things about surfacing in LW - did this self-same thing the other day and got some great results on a landscape scene.

Julian.