PDA

View Full Version : Modelers: How Long Does It Take You...

trowzers
06-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Hello Fellow Modelers,

I'm running a little personal survey and I wonder how long, on average, it takes you to model a cartoon style character for tv or film use. A character something like the one attached.

We're talking about the model only, not custom surfaces, texture maps, bump maps or rigging.

Thanks for your input.

-Bill

voriax
06-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Hard one to say. Depends on how complex it has to be, the final usage, etc. But no more than 2 to 3 days I'd reckon.

I've had to model a group of 5 cartoonish characters in the last week, but that was with re-using components here and there. The last character didn't use any other elements and was finished from scratch in just under a day (about 8 hours).

moc
06-03-2008, 01:54 AM
yep,one day should be done.

NAS
06-03-2008, 04:51 AM
About a day probably less but i use Silo for characters

NAS

prometheus
06-04-2008, 03:04 PM
I wonder what the time would be for more advanced characters human style or monster style would take?
It would be interesting to hear how fast Taron can get a decent model done.
without the texturing or zbrush displacements that is.

Michael

sadkkf
06-04-2008, 03:21 PM
I wonder what the time would be for more advanced characters human style or monster style would take?
It would be interesting to hear how fast Taron can get a decent model done.
without the texturing or zbrush displacements that is.

Michael

I bought his modeling video and he had a great head modeled in about 30 minutes. He noted during the vid, too, that he modeled more detail into it than he usually does with displacements. Great vid if you want to check it out.

MikeUnderwood
06-04-2008, 11:16 PM
6-8 hours for me, could be done in 3-4 hours by some people.

ben martin
06-05-2008, 09:13 AM
5 hours +/-

RollerJesus
06-05-2008, 09:19 AM
a year...

I'm pretty slow with characters, so it takes me 2 - 3 days, but lately that has sped up a bit since I do more of a roughing out in LW now and detail in 3d Coat.

toonafish
06-09-2008, 12:40 AM
I think it all depends on the quality you go for.

I have a hard time believing some peeps will get something decent in less then a day from a sketch like that. In a few hours you could have the basic shapes, but then the real work starts.

But then I might be slowing down after all those years ;-)

Titus
06-09-2008, 09:27 PM
A day of work for this chap, including some basic rig.

sammael
06-09-2008, 11:08 PM
A few days, probably 3 to really tweak it to perfection possibly less. It all depends on what the client expects from the final model I guess.
Could probably knock it out in under a day without putting much thought into the mesh flow.

cresshead
06-10-2008, 11:09 AM
maybe a day or 2 for most of it and maybe a month for the hair...or longer if i was using fur/hair in lw as i have not a single clue how to make good hair as yet with the new tools....
not even tried it yet!

of course poly hair [ardman/jimmy neutron style] would be faster though!