PDA

View Full Version : LightWave facebook page

BeeVee
06-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Hi all,

I'm experimenting with new areas in which to promote LightWave and so have made a facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/LightWave-3D/16090743805). Sign up to be a fan! ;)

B

Matt
06-02-2008, 03:17 PM
I'm there! Oh there's no getting rid of me! Just like LightWave, I'm everywhere! ;)

bobakabob
06-02-2008, 06:51 PM
Joined. Lightwave fans of the world unite and take over :)

DarkLight
06-03-2008, 02:21 AM
Joined as well :)

Exception
06-03-2008, 03:22 AM
Booya!

colkai
06-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Well, whaddaya know, I'm there already ;)

Red_Oddity
06-03-2008, 03:47 AM
The fact i have to read the terms of use so i have a vague idea of what the site entails is reason enough to avoid it...

ahwell...signed up.

Mrjack
06-03-2008, 04:31 AM
Im a fan tooooooooo
Joined the group

archijam
06-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Noice.

Boris Goreta
06-03-2008, 05:23 AM
Ok, whoever made a hand drawn William render using nodes please, please tell us how.

eagleeyed
06-03-2008, 05:26 AM
Guess who now is also a fan of LightWave on Facebook?

Now all we need is a DeviantArt account honouring LightWave and we shall be set.
Actually thats a good idea :D

BeeVee
06-03-2008, 07:00 AM
Ok, whoever made a hand drawn William render using nodes please, please tell us how.

William made a hand-drawn William. Actually he showed the image to traditional artists who were all very pleased he'd given up on that silly "3D thing". :D

B

cresshead
06-03-2008, 07:17 AM
good idea!..was wondering what to do with my facebook account!

brian.coates
06-03-2008, 07:28 AM
I'm in...

greeb1957
06-03-2008, 07:38 AM
ditto

JeffrySG
06-03-2008, 07:48 AM
The fact i have to read the terms of use so i have a vague idea of what the site entails is reason enough to avoid it...

ahwell...signed up.

lmao

...I'm there too...

archijam
06-03-2008, 07:52 AM
I had no idea what a good looking bunch LW'ers were :)

Steamthrower
06-03-2008, 07:58 AM
We're all quite dashing, aren't we? :D

beverins
06-03-2008, 08:49 AM

I second the motion... nay... DEMAND.. that a detailed tutorial be published to accomplish this.

Doesn't have to be free. Put it on simplylightwave.com or kurvstudios... make it detailed and applicable for ANIMATION and I will eagerly pay whatever you ask for this video.

JeffrySG
06-03-2008, 09:07 AM
I had no idea what a good looking bunch LW'ers were :)

We're all quite dashing, aren't we? :D

Now we just have to convince the rest of the world of this!!! :goodluck:

ps. I'll second (or third) the request for the tutorial on that sketch node setup!

Tom Wood
06-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Okay, I'll admit up front that I just don't 'get' social software stuff. Why is Facebook/MySpace/Twitter useful? From an advertiser's POV I can see that it's a good way to get more eyeballs in a single place, but from my POV I don't see any value. And I'm not a luddite or even that much of a late adopter. This just escapes me.

JeffrySG
06-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Okay, I'll admit up front that I just don't 'get' social software stuff. Why is Facebook/MySpace/Twitter useful? From an advertiser's POV I can see that it's a good way to get more eyeballs in a single place, but from my POV I don't see any value. And I'm not a luddite or even that much of a late adopter. This just escapes me.

um, you just have to remember that it's.... oh wait... you're right. It's pretty valueless. It's just one more way to send messages to your friends and waste more time and remember one more password.

It is a pretty quick way to get short quick messages / updates to a larger group of people or friends though. Not like I really need to do that, though.

Tom Wood
06-03-2008, 10:12 AM
LOL

Ah hah! I thought so!

The emperor has no clothes!

Steamthrower
06-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Facebook is stupid. Yes, I'm a hypocrite, but the fact can't be denied. Facebook is stupid.

greeb1957
06-03-2008, 10:18 AM
im really only on it to keep in touch with one person. yes im hopeful but at the same time it kind of defeats the purpose of the whole "meet friends"/"connect" thing.

Jim_C
06-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Facebook is stupid. Yes, I'm a hypocrite, but the fact can't be denied. Facebook is stupid.

Is this a blanket statement on your feelings towards all social networks? Or just Facebook in particular for ??? reasons?

Paul_Boland
06-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Is this group solely aimed at Lightwave 9 users? I'm an 8.5 user myself.

JeffrySG
06-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Is this group solely aimed at Lightwave 9 users? I'm an 8.5 user myself.

I don't think it matters what version of LW you use... :) come aboard!

Paul_Boland
06-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Even Lightwave 3D 1.0 users? LOL!! Thanks, I've joined up.

Steamthrower
06-03-2008, 01:27 PM
Is this a blanket statement on your feelings towards all social networks? Or just Facebook in particular for ??? reasons?

Blanket statement for my feelings on all networks. Humanity and relationships meets Tron.

JeffrySG
06-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Blanket statement for my feelings on all networks. Humanity and relationships meets Tron.
I love TRON! ;)

Red_Oddity
06-03-2008, 04:37 PM
It is a pretty quick way to get short quick messages / updates to a larger group of people or friends though. Not like I really need to do that, though.
You mean, like email or say, a forum with an RSS feed dedicated to say, 3d software from Newtek...oh...wait.

MooseDog
06-03-2008, 06:44 PM
i'm with steamthrower on this one, but overall want to congratulate beevee for the initiative. communication and presence is vital in this internet world.

which is why i'm confused why beevee you haven't started a newtek/lightwave channel on youtube. does it cost money? it's not like you're lacking for material to post, tutes masquerading as marketing.

BeeVee
06-04-2008, 06:48 AM
Have you seen the quality of YouTube? Yuck. There are moves afoot to have a channel elsewhere that offers higher resolution mind... ;)

B

Red_Oddity
06-04-2008, 02:18 PM
try Vimeo, even allows for HD footage, nice speed and great quality...
And despite my insistant whining, thanks for trying new ways to promote LW.

Steamthrower
06-04-2008, 02:55 PM
And despite my insistant whining, thanks for trying new ways to promote LW.

I'd like to second that. I'm glad to see a small surge of more marketing coming from Newtek...like the release of the demo, sponsoring some contests around the web, and Facebook pages.

Unfortunately I've begun to get a bit nervous about promoting LW as my main 3D app. I haven't been freelancing for very long at all, but already I'm aware that it needs to be "out there" in a much bigger way.

The last time I had a meeting with a producer, I showed him some of my projects. He was impressed, especially with some of the higher-profile stuff, but then he asked what app I used. I replied with my standard "Final Cut, Vue 6, Motion, Lightwave." Then he looked at the stuff again and said "...you don't work in Maya?"

Getting the name out there more will make it so much more accepted in the vast realm of studios. I was able to get the gig anyway, but there was a major down point in the meeting, because I didn't own Maya.

ivanze
06-04-2008, 03:00 PM
BeeVee, have you seen now that in youtube they are allowing videos in a higher quality?

I have seen some and they look better than the usual stuff.

Clockmaster
06-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Great idea, Ben!
I'll join immediately.

Hopper
06-04-2008, 06:49 PM
I replied with my standard "Final Cut, Vue 6, Motion, Lightwave." Then he looked at the stuff again and said "...you don't work in Maya?"
That's when you should have promoted a little LW by saying "Phhht... Maya? That old stuff? All the old-timers use that." :D

BeeVee, have you seen now that in youtube they are allowing videos in a higher quality?
It's true. YouTube will be providing for full-blown HD feeds soon.

**Sidenote: Add &fmt=18 to the end of your youtube URL when watching videos and it will change the format to a less lossy feed (thus slightly sharper videos). Try it - fun.

ivanze
06-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey Hopper, nice tip, you are right!! Thnx.

beverins
06-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Could William be somehow persuaded to post a tutorial (even if it's a paid tutorial) on how he did this with nodes?

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=617426&id=16090743805

I realize trade secrets and all, and that artists have to keep some nifty things to themselves, but... well... would be nice to share... ^_~

bobakabob
06-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Have you seen the quality of YouTube? Yuck. There are moves afoot to have a channel elsewhere that offers higher resolution mind... ;)

B

Ben, doesn't YouTube have HD now? Also YouTube has a potentially vast audience. And personally I've learned a helluva lot from watching free tutorials there despite the grain... and know plenty of college students who have really benefitted from the stores of information there.

flakester
06-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Dailymotion (http://www.dailymotion.com) deffo allows HD content, and even the general [sd] stuff seems to be of a better quality than both Youtube and Google video.

We have a some stuff on there - and we're happy with the crispness.
EESB..... (http://www.dailymotion.com/videos/relevance/search/EESB)
(not meant to be a shameless plug - just that we have SD and HD vids uploaded.)

Might be worth a lookie?

flakester.

The Dommo
06-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Tis true - I quite like putting our stuff on there, and the HD isn't too bad.

The Dommo
06-26-2008, 05:02 PM
In fact, I've just remembered - as we have an 'Official Content'account, we get access to having hosted higher bit-rate videos than normal users.

However, we'd be more than happy to host any LW related stuff within our account on there.

In the meantime, check our account there http://www.dailymotion.com/eesb and have a gander at our showreel, if you will http://www.dailymotion.com/EESB/video/x51bck_eesb-showreel-spring-2008_shortfilms

Ok, that's enough plugging.... stop it