PDA

View Full Version : Home made 3D game!

kasigawa
06-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Me and my bro were thinking of making a 3D game at home, i already have experience in lightwave 3d and my bro has experience in java programming.

How could we begin, and what engine could we use?

We're not looking to make the greatest thing ever, but we were thinking of making something similar to a zelda game on the nintendo 64. Simple and practicle.

I need an engine that'll work great with lightwave, and i was thinking maybe the torque engine, but if i get that i think i would need an entire different computer for memory space.

Give me your opinions. :lwicon:

LazyCoder
06-01-2008, 12:36 PM
You could try the Irrlicht engine. There's been a few java wrappers made for it.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

Steamthrower
06-01-2008, 02:26 PM
If you're on the Mac, go with Unity.

Also, for either Windows or Mac, try out the C4 Engine.

For Windows only, look for the Vatan Engine.

doimus
06-03-2008, 08:58 AM
There's Monkey 3D engine for Java. Don't know how it goes with LW.

3DGFXStudios
06-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Quest 3D is also a very cool engine! www.quest3d.com
It's node based.

kasigawa
06-05-2008, 05:09 PM
The engines everyone has shown here are truly awsome, but there is one minor problem. I could use some help finding out how to start.

It's like this, we have the igredients, but how do i begin to make the salad?

In my opinion i think we may have to start by getting another computer, because the one we are operating everything on is kinda retarted, slow, and could use some love and affection, but to have an engine running on it would mean we'd have to pray to the gods of windows to run it.

If there's anyone who can adress me to a tutorial, video, tour, or demonstration on how a game is put all together neatly, i would put your picture in a glass case to thank you everytime i look at it. :lwicon:

doimus
06-06-2008, 04:55 AM
It's like this, we have the igredients, but how do i begin to make the salad?

Well, that's something you have to figure for yourself. Keep in mind that sooner you start, sooner you will finish. :thumbsup:

Where to begin? Like all things in life: Google, Wikipedia and Amazon.com.
Buy books, search online, experiment... when you run into problems, seek help.

RollerJesus
06-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Where to begin? Like all things in life: Google, Wikipedia and Amazon.com.
Buy books, search online, experiment... when you run into problems, seek help.

That's good advice! What engine have you decided on, as it's not easy to switch once you've started?

kasigawa
06-06-2008, 08:57 AM
i liked the Irrlicht engine, but i'll keep an open mind on other engines incase i find something better.

Steamthrower
06-06-2008, 10:24 AM
Are you and your brother comfortable with coding and scripting? Go with something widespread like C++ for coding and Lua for scripting.

alifx
06-06-2008, 12:02 PM
here you can find most of game engines available form opensource to commercials
http://www.devmaster.net/engines/list.php?start=0&order=overall_rating&fid=6&sid=1

java is very nice, and for 3D games its always better that you know c++ or c#.

I don't know but maybe JME (jmonkey) is the best one you can find for free.
http://www.jmonkeyengine.com/

cute_cube
06-07-2008, 11:34 AM
Hey guys
been following this thread and thanks for the inspiration.
I have been trying to find what can I do for my little company that
involves java minds and graphics alike. one of my company objectives is to involve
the young and old.
thanks thanks,
I will also try jmonkey too and see where it goes from there.

LFGabel
06-07-2008, 07:55 PM
There's also Panda3d.

erikals
06-09-2008, 07:06 AM
Holy Macaroni, didn't know there were so many engines...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

erikals
06-09-2008, 07:25 AM
wikipedia.org, notable engines,
The ten most reviewed commercial engines (most of which are low cost and used by hobbyists and indie developers), on DevMaster.net[1], are:

Torque Game Engine
TV3D SDK 6.5
Gamestudio (A7 Engine)
C4 Engine
Unity (remember this can make Wii games)
NeoAxis Engine
DX Studio

Traveler
06-10-2008, 11:39 AM
A question, why go the 3d route?

I assume you and your brother are new at this, so if I may make a suggestion. Go for 2d instead. It's far more easier, you'll get results faster, and you'll learn tons more. (Including all the answers to the questions you just posted, and more.)

Java isn't exactly the most popular language to write games in, so you should be prepared to see a lot less information than there is available for say c++. That's not to say there isn't any, but you'll need to look a lot harder to get it.
www.javagaming.org (http://www.javagaming.org/) does seem like a really nice place to start out with. (notice how there's a lot more activity/posts in the 2d section).
Also, to learn about more creating games in general I would suggest spending a couple hours at http://www.gamedev.net. They have a huge list with tutorials/articles ranging from explaining the absolute basics to advanced next gen magic. Of course they also have a nice and active forum.

andrew_y
06-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Check out http://www.fpscreator.com/

that thing is cool and you can be up and running in no time at all. A few years back, when it was first released, I recreated the entire office where i worked and distributed the game around the office and played against other employees. Its cool to recreate your office and battle your fellow employees. :thumbsup:

Steamthrower
06-11-2008, 03:31 PM
A few years back, when it was first released, I recreated the entire office where i worked and distributed the game around the office and played against other employees. Its cool to recreate your office and battle your fellow employees. :thumbsup:

Now we know what you guys do down there!

Actually, the office I work in has Quake tournaments. Definitely keeps the stress level down. Nothing like fragging the guy across the cubicle who just passed off a big job on you. :D

kasigawa
06-17-2008, 11:14 AM
A question, why go the 3d route?

I assume you and your brother are new at this, so if I may make a suggestion. Go for 2d instead. It's far more easier, you'll get results faster, and you'll learn tons more. (Including all the answers to the questions you just posted, and more.)

Java isn't exactly the most popular language to write games in, so you should be prepared to see a lot less information than there is available for say c++. That's not to say there isn't any, but you'll need to look a lot harder to get it.
www.javagaming.org (http://www.javagaming.org/) does seem like a really nice place to start out with. (notice how there's a lot more activity/posts in the 2d section).
Also, to learn about more creating games in general I would suggest spending a couple hours at http://www.gamedev.net. They have a huge list with tutorials/articles ranging from explaining the absolute basics to advanced next gen magic. Of course they also have a nice and active forum.

It's a good idea, but we've already done a 2D game and my bro gets fed up because the art work's easy stuff, and he has to go through hell trying to program everything while i just chill and wate for him to get done.

It's like this 2D games are an advantage for an artist, but for a programer it's like hell; for him at leaste. :ohmy:

So we're moving up a step to 3D, because he wants me to suffer, even though i told him it's gonna be a lot harder on him also. XD

Traveler
06-18-2008, 04:03 AM
It's like this 2D games are an advantage for an artist, but for a programer it's like hell; for him at leaste. :ohmy:

So we're moving up a step to 3D, because he wants me to suffer, even though i told him it's gonna be a lot harder on him also. XD

Haha that's a good one. Choosing 3D because 2D is too easy for the artist.
Actually, depending on the type of game, 3D probably requires less work for the artist.

You guys really should create a list of actions required to do by the artist and the programmer. One for a 2d game and one for a 3d game.

Steamthrower
06-18-2008, 11:14 AM
3D less work for the artist? Man, I don't know. I did some jobs for a studio and it was very stressful getting the models just right. You can't "fudge" on game models...you have to triangulate them, get the UVs just right, and heaven forbid that you have any leaks...

jasonwestmas
06-22-2008, 08:56 PM
3D animation just looks more real than a 2D project, it's not necessarily a faster or slower process. This is assuming one knows 2D animation techniques just as well as 3D.

meshmaster
06-26-2008, 10:05 PM
In Game Developer magazine... that article talked about 3d vs 2d and stuff... Yes, 2d is a bit of an older technology, but if you are indie, go for it... That having been said, Torque now has a 2d engine to it too I think, so that may be one route to go that's not too pricey. As far as 3d "looking more real"... that's not necessarily true. It all depends on the artist and the programming and game engine really... I've seen some pretty poor looking graphics in a large number of both 2d and 3d games in my time.

kasigawa
07-17-2008, 11:01 PM
I thank you all for your support and help, i'll do my best with what i have, if ya find something better or good advice to start a low budget game, tell me about it. :lwicon:

erikals
07-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Fps creator looked fun and simple :)
http://uk.youtube.com/results?search_query=FPS+Creator&search_type=&aq=-1&oq=

cute_cube
07-23-2008, 05:55 AM
now I dont know which one to settle for!

kasigawa
08-08-2008, 11:42 AM
My brother's a lazy programmer, and to make a 2D game demands a lot from him, so we're going through the challenge of making a 3D game.

erikals
08-08-2008, 12:17 PM
it is usually like that, a bit back and forth before a decision is made... :)

btw, Fps Creator is cool, as you can make a game in no-time,
but does anyone know of a simillar program that can make tomb raider / resident evil game type of game?