PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drives

crashnburn
06-01-2008, 09:04 AM
HI,

Just wondered what you guys think to the various hard drive manufacturers, in particular reliability. I'm looking to replace a hard drive in one of my PC's as it failed last night and I'm waiting for a NAS to come through the post. I've had two Maxtors fail in the past, a Western Digital last night and have heard bad things about Seagates latest drives.

I'm seriously considering Samsung or Hitachi, what do you guys think?

Thanks
Marc

IMI
06-01-2008, 09:35 AM
I've used Western Digital almost exclusively for several years now. I've had one fail, very shortly after installing it, but my 2 older computers have WD drives, two of which are five years old and still doing fine.
My LW box has four SATA WD HDD's which are all less than 8 months old, with no issues at all. I have a Western Digital "My Book" 320 gig external HDD which is about 18 months old and still performing perfectly.
I know they're not considered the "best" brand, but overall I've had a very positive experience with them.
The only two Seagates I've ever owned both gave up after less than six months. I will never buy another.
I also have a four year old 40 gig Samsung still chugging away in one of those other machines.

crashnburn
06-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys. This is the first WD drive I had fail on me. I had heard that Seagates were getting unreliable compared to their older drives. Maxtor I would touch at all.

Luckily I didn't lose any work, but it can make you worry about losing work when a drive you thought would be reliable fails without warning, hence ordering the NAS with mirrored drives.

Also wondering if people have experiences with the newer makes like Samsung etc who haven't been as popular or around until recently?

Lightwolf
06-01-2008, 10:21 AM
It seems to vary over the years, I've had drives of all manufacturers fail (recently a bunch of Hitachis).
Currently I tend to get Samsungs and Seagates, Maxtor ar out of the question and I'd only get the more expensice WDs.

Then again, this may change as alll manufacturers seem to have issues with charges every now and then...

Cheers,
Mike

bobakabob
06-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Western Digital and Seagate seem reliable but you're right about Maxtor. Mine confirmed the reviews on Amazon when it died in under a year's useage. OK there's Sod's Law but what's the point of a backup drive? Samsung appear to have a good reputation.

kfinla
06-01-2008, 11:03 AM
I've also had bad expeirences with Maxtor.. If i had two votes I would of voted for both WD and Seagate.. i choose WD, ive also had a Seagate disc fail, but it was under warranty and quickly replaced.

Lito
06-01-2008, 11:30 AM
I have had issues with all HD manufacturers but less with WD than Maxtor or Segate. But then again I am not a good measure since I have also had fewer WD drives than Maxtor or Segate so statistically Maxtor and Segate had more opportunities to fail than WD. I still have working HDs from Maxtor, Segate and WD that still work today even though they are over 8 years old. But I have only 2 drives that really died one Maxtor and one segate. I don't buy any other drive manufacturer.

Stooch
06-01-2008, 12:13 PM
i use WD raptors for my system drives and Seagate as my storage drives, seagates tend to be also extremely quiet with their hydrodynamic bearings. the raptors are nice because their roots are from server applications where high MBTF is the norm and are also suprisingly quiet for their speed. there is a new breed of raptors that just came out on the market that blows away most hdds in speed as well.

starbase1
06-01-2008, 12:23 PM
I've only really had problems ever with USB attached drives....

Steamthrower
06-01-2008, 01:25 PM
WD all the way. I've had Seagate burn out on me.

bobakabob
06-01-2008, 02:01 PM
I've only really had problems ever with USB attached drives....

Yep, you'd think they were made from exactly the same components but they don't seem so reliable as internal drives. I've added a hotswap bay which is faster and handy for storage.

cresshead
06-01-2008, 04:08 PM
i use freecom and iomega external usb drives..seems fine to me.
the freecom drives are cooled with NO fans...so no fan noise and no fan to die on me either!

Hopper
06-01-2008, 04:27 PM
I've had at least a handful of drives fail from just about every major manufacturer. Nature of the beast I guess. I prefer Western Digital and Seagates, but for no particular reason. The old SCSI Barracuda drives were great and I'm really enjoying the new WD Raptors - fast little buggers.

I did, however, have a Fujitsu desintegrate in an external drive bay once... man you should have heard the noise that made.

Jim_C
06-01-2008, 04:57 PM
I've had at least a handful of drives fail from just about every major manufacturer. .

Yea agreed.

But one thing I can say.. much against the grain... is how WONDERFUL Maxtor drives have been for us the last 5 years.
Making a rough estimate, we have purchased....oh...about 70...maybe 80, Maxtor External One Touch's of various sizes and generations thru the lsat 4-5 years, and I have had to replace the drive on 2 of them.

and we treat them like dirt.. they travel in our carry ons thru luggage check and the airport, then plugged and unplugged numerous times at the gigs, then stuffed back into our luggage for the flight back. Bang Bang Bounce...

Now one drive we have had consistant trouble with is our Lacie Big Disks.. Not the drives in them so much (they are maxtors) but the raid/striping interface built into the external has fried on more than 50% of those we have.

danielkaiser
06-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Western Digital for me, great costumer service, had a drive die that was not even registered, gave them the ser# and was told that it was still under warranty, received one the in next couple of days, with a label to ship the old one back, I don't know about the others but WD has a 5 year warranty.

Verlon
06-01-2008, 06:41 PM
I have had decent reliability from all brands (but all have blemishes as well) from my original 48MB quantums to now.

The next Hard Drive (coming soon) is going to be a Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB drive (120 meg/s xfer rate and <$200 on pricewatch).

jaf
06-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I've had good luck lately with WD and Seagate. I suspect that heat is an often overlooked factor in HD failure. I try to keep some space between drives and when possible direct a case fan at them.

prospector
06-01-2008, 08:46 PM
I have WD in everything EXCEPT 3 which are Seagate and they are in the Amiga Toaster/Flyer just humming along for 14 years now. Even the WDs in the Amiga are 14 years old and they too just hum along.

But those barracudas...bought for 900 each at the time, have given their moneys worth back many times over.

Steamthrower
06-01-2008, 09:19 PM
I have WD in everything EXCEPT 3 which are Seagate and they are in the Amiga Toaster/Flyer just humming along for 14 years now.

Prospector :bowdown:, just how large is a 14-year-old drive? 2 Gb?

prospector
06-01-2008, 10:54 PM

@ $100+/gig

Phil
06-02-2008, 04:25 AM
Hmm. Interesting question. Since 1995, I've bought Western Digital almost exclusively, for internal drives. One of them died in 1998 after being left in an powered-off machine during a severe cold snap - it never spun up again. Other than that, they are all still working.

External disks, though, are a different matter. The MyBook series seems to be a huge reliability issue for Western Digital - I am on my 3rd replacement for 1 TB MyBook Pro II since buying it around 6 weeks ago. The disks run incredibly hot and the cooling fan seems to be entirely insufficient to take care of the problem. WD service seems OK, but refuse to acknowledge a problem with these units, so be careful.

In total we have RAID 1 for the below :

1 x WD MyBook Pro II 1 TB (died and replaced twice under warranty)
1 x WD MyBook Pro II 2 TB (replacement for the broken 1TB disk above, sent by WD after I got cross)
1 x Buffalo DriveStation 1 TB (Samsung disks)

Non-RAID drives include :

1 x Toshiba 250 GB
1 x WD MyBook Pro II 500 GB (1st replacement for original drive that died)
1 x WD MyBook Essentials 500 GB (gratuity from WD during replacement of 1 TB array)

We now have more storage than we strictly need :D

Matt
06-02-2008, 07:21 AM
Enterprise Class Western Digital!

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=325630

Phil
06-02-2008, 07:59 AM
Enterprise Class Western Digital!

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=325630

As far as I can tell, the Enterprise class drives are the ones in use in the MyBook Pro II series, which was another reason that I have been so surprised by the reliability issues seen.

IMI
06-02-2008, 03:16 PM
External disks, though, are a different matter. The MyBook series seems to be a huge reliability issue for Western Digital - I am on my 3rd replacement for 1 TB MyBook Pro II since buying it around 6 weeks ago. The disks run incredibly hot and the cooling fan seems to be entirely insufficient to take care of the problem. WD service seems OK, but refuse to acknowledge a problem with these units, so be careful.

Well, that's interesting to know. As I mentioned above my "MyBook" external WD has been doing great for a year and a half, and it gets *alot* of heavy usage. I'm constantly writing huge files to it, deleting them, burning to DVD and so on.
But I never thought about heat before. I have central air conditioning, but I added a window AC unit to my office to supplement the central air. Otherwise I'd have to have the whole house at 65 just to keep this room at 70, due to all the computer stuff in here.
As it turns out, my MyBook is directly in front of that AC unit, about 16" away, and things over there on that part of my desk stay very cool.
I wonder if that's what's saved it if they're known for overheating?

cresshead
06-02-2008, 03:21 PM
re external HD's...my freecom hard drives are cool and nr silent...no fans...passive cooling via the metal casing...never hot...just a gentle warming..

starbase1
06-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Western Digital.

Both internal and external. Raptors in RAID 0 on the inside and a few 500 Gb My Books for data. I just use the regular 7200 rpm My Books and they have been reliable so far (cheap too).

I notice that Raptors seem to get consistently excellent reviews, particularly the smaller faster ones for holding software and swap files...

prospector
06-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I use the raptors in the VT5 in raid
4...74 gigs and getting a MIGHTY 268 MB/s transfer.

Phil
06-03-2008, 04:55 AM
Well, that's interesting to know. As I mentioned above my "MyBook" external WD has been doing great for a year and a half, and it gets *alot* of heavy usage. I'm constantly writing huge files to it, deleting them, burning to DVD and so on.
But I never thought about heat before. I have central air conditioning, but I added a window AC unit to my office to supplement the central air. Otherwise I'd have to have the whole house at 65 just to keep this room at 70, due to all the computer stuff in here.
As it turns out, my MyBook is directly in front of that AC unit, about 16" away, and things over there on that part of my desk stay very cool.
I wonder if that's what's saved it if they're known for overheating?

The issue seems to be largely to do with the dual drive units. There's hardly any space between the disks for airflow, and the bottom of the units are sealed. The debate regarding cooling then comes to the fan (which is loud at times).

In the dual-drive MyBooks, the fan is placed at the bottom of the case, but some seem to blow air out and others suck air in. Given convection, one would expect the fan sucking air in to be a good choice, but there is a school of thought that this then makes the region at the top of the case far too hot. The option then is to make the fan blow air out, attempting to draw cool air in at the top of the unit and even out the temperature gradient. I don't really have data to judge this, so am simply keeping an eye on the replacement units to see if they die again.

The Buffalo unit draws air in at the front and blows it out the back with a fan.

starbase1
06-03-2008, 06:56 AM
The issue seems to be largely to do with the dual drive units. There's hardly any space between the disks for airflow, and the bottom of the units are sealed. The debate regarding cooling then comes to the fan (which is loud at times).

In the dual-drive MyBooks, the fan is placed at the bottom of the case, but some seem to blow air out and others suck air in. Given convection, one would expect the fan sucking air in to be a good choice, but there is a school of thought that this then makes the region at the top of the case far too hot. The option then is to make the fan blow air out, attempting to draw cool air in at the top of the unit and even out the temperature gradient. I don't really have data to judge this, so am simply keeping an eye on the replacement units to see if they die again.

The Buffalo unit draws air in at the front and blows it out the back with a fan.

I got a Buffalo external 750 Gb not long ago, it stays beautifully cool, (and has an on/off switch! Why do they leave thouse out so often!?). I fairly rapidly bought a second one, and have now relegated my 2 Packard Bell's to backup - once a month I power them up and copy over everything on the Buffalos. More often if I change something major.

I think that the big b's must also spin down when not in use for a bit.

Nick