PDA

View Full Version : all or nothing with SCSI?

CollegeTVRules
07-24-2003, 01:46 PM
We have been using the toaster for about 3 months now to really only do live productions. The switcher, the CG, the DSK, and the toaster scope have really been worth the money right there. However we have done absolutely nothing with Toaster Edit, and very little Aura. When we built the system, we decided we would rather have the switching and CG as soon as possible rather than wait until we had money for SCSI drives, so we went with out them.

I know everyone is cringing at the thought, but we are running on 1 80gig IDE drive.

With all this SCSI, SATA, etc. talk lately, my question is, if we want to start using some of the editing features as well, do we have to suck it up and drop $1000+ on SCSI drives and a controller? Or is there a cheaper option that would give moderate functionality in toaster edit, but for say, lest than $500?

thanks everyone.

wvp
07-24-2003, 09:28 PM
The cheaper solution is to buy 4 IDE drives (size of which will depend on your needs & budget) and an Escalade controller.
While not endorsed by Newtek, many (including myself) use this as a less expensive option.
Performance is actually quite good.
Search this form for (many) other posts about IDE drives & the escalade controller.

Fr1tz
07-25-2003, 02:43 AM
You should join this thread:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8340

SBowie
07-25-2003, 05:59 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm basically in the SCSI camp - but it is surprising what you can get out of a system that merely runs 2 good EIDE drives striped, with no add-on RAID card.

While it wouldn't be my preference for a primary video storage solution in a busy suite, I've got a pair striped in my demo suite (alongside the SCSI drives) and it is perfectly adequate to run 2 streams of uncompressed and whole lot more DV with no rendering. And it costs peanuts...

harpert
08-12-2003, 10:32 AM
I'm using Windows 2000 Workstation OS software and I need to stripe 2 120gb IDE drives. Someone just told me I need Windows 2000 Pro OS software for servers. I thought I could use my workstation OS or can I? If I can, is there a good set of instructions on how to stripe IDE drives or should I use the Help section of Windows 2000?

Tom H. :)

Paul Lara
08-12-2003, 11:37 AM
You don't need Server Edition.
Win 2k PRO or XP Pro are quite sufficient.

Select Start Menu | Settings | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management
Select Disk Management
Striping and formatting is taken care of in Disk Management.

harpert
08-12-2003, 11:49 AM
So my Windows 2000 workstation/Pro software should get me by for now without having to use a RAID card...

Tom H. :)

vip3dran
08-12-2003, 11:59 AM
harpert,

Windows 2000 pro will allow you to stripe drives with Raid 0 no problem. What you cannot do is stripe as Raid 1 or Raid 5, but this doesn't matter since we're only concerned with Raid 0, which is the best speed solution for Toaster use.

Setup of a stripe set is actually quite easy and a setup wizard comes up when you go to partition your drive(s) in Disk Management (found in Administrative tools/Computer Management).