PDA

View Full Version : fading smoke

PeteS
07-24-2003, 01:45 PM
i know this is probally a real simple thing, but i can't find it. i'm animating cigerette smoke and i want it to fade out (instead of poppong out which it's doing now). I have my particle emitter and my HV set up...what next to fade it?
Thanks in advance.

lwgal
07-24-2003, 03:12 PM
Hiya!

This should be pretty easy if you're using sprites or volumes, which I guess you probably are creating your smoke.

Go into your hypervoxels menu and for the dissolve set an envelope to from your starting dissolve value (if you have one set) and eventually take it to 100% to completely dissolve it. Setup the texture as a gradient with the gradient to be based on the particle age.

It would be easy to make it stay pretty solid until a certain frame, then you could have it start fading out quickly or you could have it start fading slowly at first, then speed up a little further out...you could even have it appearing at the beginning (sometimes it seems the smoke doesn't always appear right at the tip of the cigarette (I have seen too many people smoking...) and then dissolve out again later in the lifetime of the particle!

Play with it and have fun!

lwgal