PDA

View Full Version : BigBuckBunny Internet Premiere - Free!!!

jin choung
05-30-2008, 01:22 PM
http://www.bigbuckbunny.org/index.php/download/

all done in blender except for sound mix i believe (they had to use a proprietary for the 5.1 mix or something like that).

check out the competition.

jin

geothefaust
05-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks Jin, appreciate it. This movie has been on my list for sometime. I'll be placing an order for it very soon.

Premiere looks really good. :)

Ztreem
05-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the tip. Will be fun watching this one, love the style.

JamesCurtis
05-30-2008, 10:20 PM
I get a "500 internal server error" when clicking the link! Using Firefox. WinXPpro 32bit. Hope it gets fixed.

LazyCoder
05-30-2008, 10:29 PM
I just saw the movie today. Very funny.

It downloads really fast if you use Bittorrent.

Anti-Distinctly
05-31-2008, 03:47 AM
James, just grab the torrent. It's pretty fast and it was the only link that worked for me yesterday.
Nice little movie :)

hrgiger
05-31-2008, 04:09 AM
I just watched the streaming on youtube. It was ok. It looked very nice but I thought the idea was kind of weak and never really thought the humor ever really came together.

jin choung
05-31-2008, 05:12 AM
yah, story wise it's not perfect - not a perfect clockwork mechanism ala disney or pixar. and the use of violence is interesting in its difference from american cartoons in terms of sadism, lethality and desecration.... but some really beautiful rendering and fur and some nice acting and animation.... actually a pretty nice demo of most of blender's features like physics, fur, perhaps cloth for airborne rodent?

humor wise, i thought some gags could've been tightened up but there were a few that i really loved.... i thought all the comeuppance payoffs were pretty funny.... the first one was just so... cute. as was the second...

and i really loved the jump rope thing though i thought they should have cut away before his final gesture at the end....

can't wait to see what the game is gonna be all about....

jin

p.s. as for the site error - yikes, must've been hammered. might have to go torrents if their bandwidth can't keep up.

JeffrySG
05-31-2008, 05:42 AM
I just watched this yesterday and thought it was terrific! It's definitely worth downloading a HD version. It's so cool to see this done with all free OpenSource software, especially in a day and age where huge companies like Adobe and AutoDesk are buying up everything. I loved the look and feel of the short. I thought there were some small compositing 'errors' and every once in a while something will catch my eye that doesn't look correct - but not too often. The logo is a definite take off of the logo from "A Bug's Life". ;)

Congrats to all that were involved!

You can also support the project by buying the DVD (http://www.blender3d.org/e-shop/product_info.php?products_id=97).

You can help us to realize future projects by purchasing the DVD edition of the Peach project.

On the Big Buck Bunny DVD (two disks) you will find:
- The movie (10 min) in best DVD quality widescreen format (versions in both NTSC and PAL)
- The HD version of the movie (.avi and/or .mov)
- Commentary tracks by the creators
- All .blend files, models, textures, and so on... the material used to create the movie.
- The original script, breakdown, storyboards
- Documentation and video tutorials by the team members about all technical aspects the movie; like how to re-use assets, animate characters, or add new shots.

(although with the dollar worth nothing these days the DVD is kind of expensive in us dollars.)

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4875/header2ow6.jpg

wavk
05-31-2008, 06:11 AM
beautifull little movie.
tight humoristic little package, very well excecuted.
although dont like sadism but then good to see the sadists pay :)

now lets see lw make sum like this.

mlon

bobakabob
05-31-2008, 06:24 AM
An amazing achievement - hats off to the Blender guys. The character animation is really sophisticated. The main character also has a sense of weight which doesn't always come across in CGI.

RebelHill
05-31-2008, 07:36 AM
visually a good work i thought... well animated, rendered, etc. However the story, especially fomr the viewpoint of character motivation is inceadibly weak, and very poor, the gags were kinda predictable, almost every shot, or sequence is ripped off from somewhere (especially noticable were pieces from rambo, predator, and the simpsons), and its trying WAY to hard to be pixar (for the birds beak clone??!!) rather than taking on its own individual design and/or asthetic.

IMO.... decent eye candy (but so is soooo much stuff now), poor film.

bobakabob
05-31-2008, 07:59 AM
True I agree with many of your points RebelHill, it does have its flaws, it just feels a little like nitpicking pointing them out. The pacing of the editing is a little slow and some of the gags creak a little. The eerie stillness of the environment marrs the illusion. And the Bunny is a wee bit creepy but then I love creepy and it's probably intentional anyway :D Still technically the character animation is extremely subtle and the renders are very well lit and composed if slightly washed out looking on YouTube. It's one helluva project and a grand gesture to give away all the files. True Internet pioneers.

Lightwolf
05-31-2008, 08:41 AM
... almost every shot, or sequence is ripped off from somewhere.
That sounds like Shrek 1-3 to me ;) Come to think of it, there's plenty more examples.

Now I need to finish downloading it, but what I saw so far looks great (I agree on the rope jumping bit.... the gesture is too much there).

Cheers,
Mike

cresshead
05-31-2008, 12:02 PM
the last lightwave 'short' was ''le freak'' done in lightwave 7.0 for development of 7.5

we could really do with a lightwave short don't ya think!...well hope we get to see a 9.5 reel from the beta chaps if nothing else...

and yup BBB is an excellent showcase for blender and the VERY talanted artists and coders from that production...you also have to note that it was composited in blender and video edited in blender too....amazing don't ya reckon?

'1 app to rule them all' :^)

Larry_g1s
05-31-2008, 12:06 PM
That is just fantastic! Extremely inspiring. How do they afford to do something like that. Is it just a wonderful marketing promo for Blender, to show what it can do, or what? Down loaded the super high resolution version, the close ups of the characters and fur....fantastic.

jin choung
05-31-2008, 07:37 PM
yeah, i just watched it again and those close ups are truly remarkable. man that fur holds up!

also, for those who might've checked out early, "stay" until after the credits. you'll see an example of a morph target that pixar will never ever ever ever...

ever

do.

: )

oh, and the MUSIC! freakin' LOOOOooooove it! soooooo well done. actually MEMORABLE!

jin

RTSchramm
05-31-2008, 08:00 PM
I thought the movie was OK, and the rendering was not that great even at the HD resolution, but the animation was incredible. I agree with most of the previous critics as well.

I think the fur as great, but the grass seemed really lame and I noticed it didn't interact with the characters? I plan to which this again to verify this.

The animation reminded me more of a Saturday cartoon than a CGI film.

BUT when you considered that it was done with ALL free software, it should be a wakeup call to LW, Autodesk, and others out there.

I am seeing more and more users around the world using Blender in product design, commercials, and some professionals are even using blender's cloth and liquid effects and exporting them into main stream CG applications because its free.

In the end I think Blender will be to the CGI industry as Linux is to the OS desktop market.

I'm still routing for LW, though, but they need to get their act sooner than later. The completion is heating up.

Rich

jin choung
05-31-2008, 10:46 PM
holy crap! this is the tree tool they developed for project peach:

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Scripts/Manual/Wizards/TreeFromCurves

check that out... if you guys ever needed a free and GREAT tree maker, this is pretty neat! make sure you check out the video!

revolutionarily AWESOME things:
1. remeshes tree so that trunk, branches and twigs are all a single mesh! not just embedded but separate cylinders.
2. BLENDS TEXTURE so that with a single tree trunk image, you can texture the entire tree and NOT have hard seams of texture discontinuity between trunk, branch, twigs!

jin

JamesCurtis
05-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Finally got to downloading the short - actually both 480p and 720p. Probably will Dload the 1080p one too in a day or so. I'm not set up for BitTorrent on my machine [I don't want to either]. Will opt for buying the DVD in a few weeks since $46.+ right now is a little too much to spend until I get paid by a client in a few weeks. I see they are planning on a DVD ISO sometime in the near [hope] future.

Ztreem
06-01-2008, 02:45 AM
Downloaded the HD version with bittorrent, worked great. But the movie was a big disappointment, sure nice style, nice fur, nice characters, but the story was just lame. I enjoy the stills from the movie more then the actual movie.

wavk
06-01-2008, 05:22 AM
yeh the fur holds up!

dang! :)

http://www.mixolydian.biz/MyImages/TigerFurTest.jpg

mlon

Matt
06-01-2008, 06:31 AM
Just watched this, pretty cool for open source. The look of the sets was excellent, the story was okay, but it would have been much better if they did something a little more original.

The character animation and facial expressions were awesome I thought.

Hair / fur looked pretty good.

Music and sound was well done too.

All in all, a very professional delivery, with maybe a few short comings in the story and pace.

Without doubt though, it puts Blender in a whole new light.

I agree with others, would be nice to do a LightWave short of similar quality, but it would need proper funding and planning.

Lightwolf
06-01-2008, 06:44 AM
... it doesnt make sense to compare with big studios on this short ;-)
I don't really know. I've seen worse short film from studios. And it is quite compareable to something like Gentlemen's Duel... especially as far as the story is concerned.

Cheers,
Mike

Qexit
06-01-2008, 06:46 AM
I agree with others, would be nice to do a LightWave short of similar quality, but it would need proper funding and planning.If you read the news section on this site, I think you'll find something is already being planned:

http://kazeghostwarrior.com/flash/index.htm

Of course, the 'homemade' short came out a few years ago :D

Matt
06-01-2008, 06:49 AM
BTW: Just downloaded the Rabbit character, exported from Blender as FBX, loaded into LightWave perfectly! Nice going on the FBX loader NewTek!

:)

-EsHrA-
06-01-2008, 09:01 AM
well, the next question would be.... :)

put sum fur on him!

mlon

Matt
06-01-2008, 10:22 AM
well, the next question would be.... :)

put sum fur on him!

mlon

I tried, but FFX couldn't handle it, and for some reason it also stopped seeing one of the lights in the scene, dunno why.

Might try later, have some work to do at the moment.

bobakabob
06-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I agree with others, would be nice to do a LightWave short of similar quality, but it would need proper funding and planning.

Agreed, but what about Proton and Dave School's recent 'Zombie Dearest'? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vct2yoZNg) Some great animation, lush rendering and characters. Though guess on a technical level it doesn't have CG hair (correct me if I'm wrong).

Re: the Blender trees plugin... looks great though no insight on the page about making leaves. Does anyone know of a Lightwave plugin other than Rope which makes polygonal cylinders from splines in this way? Maya's had this capability for a long time.

Matt
06-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Honestly, the production level of BBB is far higher than any recent non-commercial LightWave short that I've seen.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

jin choung
06-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Agreed, but what about Proton and Dave School's recent 'Zombie Dearest'? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vct2yoZNg) Some great animation, lush rendering and characters. Though guess on a technical level it doesn't have CG hair (correct me if I'm wrong).

Re: the Blender trees plugin... looks great though no insight on the page about making leaves. Does anyone know of a Lightwave plugin other than Rope which makes polygonal cylinders from splines in this way? Maya's had this capability for a long time.

watch the video - it has leaves too.

jin

mrunion
06-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Yeah, the DVD is kinda expensive for a DVD alone -- but you get 2 DVDs (one in NTSC and one in PAL format). They are also DVD-ROMs and ALL production files, models, scenes, etc. are on them. you should be able to recreate or re-render the entire movie from the DVDs. There is almost 16GB worth of stuff.

I liked the story, but I did think it was a tad "not quite there". I pre-paid for the DVD and got to see my name in the credits though, so that was a kick. Blender is not a replacement for every tool out there -- or maybe not a replacement for ANY tool out there. But for FREE, can you afford NOT to use it?

jin choung
06-02-2008, 09:30 PM
ooooh neat! now we have stuff from APRICOT gonna get into blender!

http://apricot.blender.org/ watch first movie.

Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ve the auto uv packing and optimization for render baking! it PRESERVES RELATIVE POLY SIZES!!!

perfect for when you have to bake shadows or something on a model that you didn't need to uv map before.... takes a tedious step out!

i asked for this a while back for lw after seeing a similar thing in zbrush (albeit used for a different purpose in zb)....

jin

mrunion
06-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Someone mentioned earlier in this thread about the characters interacting with the grass and such. I noticed what seemed to be a glitch or two in that area as well. Kinda on that same topic, check this video out though:

http://www.blendernation.com/2008/06/02/zanno-and-the-new-blender-physics/

This gets really cool around the 3 minute mark!

@Jin:

If you want to try an Apricot build, check graphicall.org.

jin choung
06-02-2008, 09:48 PM
nah, i can wait. but it's good to see nifty things loaded in the chamber already.

jin

Surrealist.
06-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Great little flick. I enjoyed it - Bump :)

Jim_C
06-08-2008, 07:46 AM
and i really loved the jump rope thing though i thought they should have cut away before his final gesture at the end....

That is their 'nod' to Bugs Bunny.
The 'hide item behind back and appear innocent' was an often move of Bugs.

but imo, they should have snapped it about 20-30 frames earlier.

jin choung
06-08-2008, 01:27 PM
i guess,

now that you mention it, it does seem like something bugs would do just before saying, "ain't i a stinker?"....

but in this movie, i would have taken out almost all the parts where the big guy acknowledges camera... the thumbs up, the rope gag's end, the final facial gesticulation in the iris....

just for me, they felt .... out of place and a beat too much in the gag....

jin

jin choung
06-08-2008, 01:29 PM
watch the video - it has leaves too.

jin

oh, in case this isn't clear, i'm saying watch the tree maker intro video. it shows you how to make leaves.

jin

jin choung
06-18-2008, 12:44 PM
sweeeeet,

blender gets a shout out from shawn kelly of animationmentor.com and ilm fame!

http://www.blendernation.com/2008/06/18/note-from-shawn-kelly-cofounder-of-animation-mentor-and-senior-animator-at-ilm/

Andyjaggy
06-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Just watched it. Impressive. I can't believe this is coming out of an open source program. Watch out all you software giants. And Lightwave.