PDA

View Full Version : Max scene to Lightwave!!!!????!!!!

andym323
05-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Hi all :D

I know this has probably been covered ad infinitum, but I doesn't hurt to ask 8/

I've just bought a rather natty Airbus A320 model for a project I'll be working on next week, it comes supplied in several formats including .lwo!

However, the only one that is animated is the .max file :thumbsdow

This plane has LOTS of moving parts, all the control surfaces move and the gear and doors work too, looking at the .lwo object, obviously its static, and sadly none of the pivots have been set up :(

Anybody know a way of getting the .max animation into LW, because it'll take AGES to redo everything in LW :( ??????????

Mike_RB
05-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi all :D

I know this has probably been covered ad infinitum, but I doesn't hurt to ask 8/

I've just bought a rather natty Airbus A320 model for a project I'll be working on next week, it comes supplied in several formats including .lwo!

However, the only one that is animated is the .max file :thumbsdow

This plane has LOTS of moving parts, all the control surfaces move and the gear and doors work too, looking at the .lwo object, obviously its static, and sadly none of the pivots have been set up :(

Anybody know a way of getting the .max animation into LW, because it'll take AGES to redo everything in LW :( ??????????

Load it in max and save as FBX maybe?

cresshead
05-30-2008, 12:29 PM
yeah, fbx is the way..if you can do your animation in 3dsmax that will be baked on export for lightwave to load up

note.
depending on which version of lightwave your using [9.5 beta has the most uptdate]
when exporting to fbx you may have to output to an older fbx type for lightwave to be able to load it.

VirtualFM
06-01-2008, 09:22 PM
This reminds me... Last time I did that I ended with a ton of objects in Layout. They get correctly positioned, but they are all parented together through Nulls. I couldn't even load them all into Modeler and save a only one object becasue all those pieces and bits were all centered (and arranjed in Layout in the correct positions).

If I exported in OBJ it would save as only one object, but it's a drag to have to redefine all the surfaces, etc.

Is there a way to export the model(s) only to one object? I guess it is something that has to be done in Max, but have no idea how to merge it all together in Max.

toonafish
06-02-2008, 12:37 AM
This reminds me... Last time I did that I ended with a ton of objects in Layout. They get correctly positioned, but they are all parented together through Nulls. I couldn't even load them all into Modeler and save a only one object becasue all those pieces and bits were all centered (and arranjed in Layout in the correct positions).

If I exported in OBJ it would save as only one object, but it's a drag to have to redefine all the surfaces, etc.

Is there a way to export the model(s) only to one object? I guess it is something that has to be done in Max, but have no idea how to merge it all together in Max.

there is a modeler script that imports all objects from a specified frame in a scene. I don't remember the name and where you can get is but I'm sure a search on Flay will help.

zardoz
06-02-2008, 03:02 AM
yep i would say that the fbx plugin would be your best option. the 2005_08 version is the one that i manged to export even the camera motion from max to lightwave.
We have point oven and is quite good too, but for this it would not be any good i guess because it bakes point cache.
there's also this plug http://www.guruware.at/main/index.html (it's the gwObjIO) in this site. It's a obj importer/exporter for max with lots of options and even a lightwave obj exporter. You can say that this is going to lightwave and it exports the mesh in obj with the best options to import back into lightwave.

cresshead
06-02-2008, 11:51 AM
if you want to merge objects in max to then export them via fbx>>

select your master object, the one which is the main part ie the car body for a car...righ hand click and use the quad menu to convert to edit poly if it's no already an edit poly object.

then scroll down the edit poly rollout and click the ''attatch button''...you can then either click on each object in the viewport you want to be attatched or you can hit the h key and then select from the select by name list....

one note...if some of the objects alreadyt have turbosmooth or meshsmooth on them you may want to delete that modifier...also fi you DO want to keep the subdivided version and FREEZE it at that level as you attatch it make sure it's not set to 'isoline display' in the turbosmooth modifier as when if freezes you'll get a 'corrupt freeze'...untick isoloine and toggle up and down the sub d ammount to refresh it before you freeze/collapse it.

have fun!

andym323
06-03-2008, 02:26 AM
Thanks guys, most enlightening, I've managed to export as an FBX, but I'm having 'issues' getting it into lightwave, is there a specific plugin that I need????

Cheers

Andy

andym323
06-03-2008, 03:40 AM
AAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!! I am, literally, banging my head on the desk in frustration, got the 2005-08 FBX plugin, and EVERY time I try and import to Lightwave, it crashes, anyone else had this issue :S

zardoz
06-03-2008, 07:26 AM
no problems here...so i guess i cannot help you.
what version of fbx are you using when exporting from max?
do all the available versions of fbx in max crash lightwave?

cresshead
06-03-2008, 10:46 AM
use the motion builder 5.5 fbx...i've moved large models [2.5million polys] over...if you get crashes i lw, slice n dice your models back over in 3dsmax and export selected from 3dsmax
a couple of times and merge the scenes in.

VirtualFM
06-16-2008, 06:23 AM
if you want to merge objects in max to then export them via fbx...

Thanks a lot, Cresshead!

iancamarillo
06-18-2008, 01:09 PM
AHHH!!!! i finnaly figured out you have to load the fbx plugin into the 32bit lw. is there a 64bit version?

cresshead
06-18-2008, 02:51 PM
sure import the scene into lw32bit..save the scene and load the lw scene into lw64bit!:D