PDA

View Full Version : Where did it go: Convert points to lights

chromatic
05-30-2008, 08:39 AM
Hi all,

I kinda feel silly here. I haven't used the feature of converting points to lights for some time and now that I need it I cannot find it in the menus? Am I going crazy from the heat? Did Newtek remove/rename this feature?

I would really appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this. No pun intended btw :)

evolross
05-30-2008, 08:57 AM
There's a way to add lights for any polygon in your model using Luxigons. William Vaughan demonstrates it in video 017 - Spinning Light Trick if you go the following url: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html
You basically assign Luxigons to polygons in Modeler (Select Polygons, Setup -> Layout Tools -> Add Luxigon), send the object to Layout, then convert them to lights in Layout (Items -> Add -> Lights -> Convert Luxigons).

chromatic
05-30-2008, 09:08 AM
aahh yes, Luxigons. So many features in LW I forgot the name for it :) Thnx for the heads up ;)

Surrealist.
06-02-2008, 08:21 PM
The thing that threw me on this one was you said add lights to points. Luxigons add them to the poly normal not the points. Just a note in case anyone is looking for that specifically.

chromatic
06-03-2008, 01:59 AM
Well I can remember LW used to have a tool to convert points to lights. Luxigons can be used in a similar way. Just convert a point to a poly and voila.

Surrealist.
06-03-2008, 03:41 AM
Yeah that will work. :)

starbase1
06-06-2008, 03:54 AM
Yes, there was a tool to do exactly that, I think it was way back in version 5.6! I found it very handy and elegant. This is exactly why I have a hard drive packed with old versions of Lightwave!

Nick

PLightwave
01-07-2012, 10:28 AM
There's a way to add lights for any polygon in your model using Luxigons. William Vaughan demonstrates it in video 017 - Spinning Light Trick if you go the following url: ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html
You basically assign Luxigons to polygons in Modeler (Select Polygons, Setup -> Layout Tools -> Add Luxigon), send the object to Layout, then convert them to lights in Layout (Items -> Add -> Lights -> Convert Luxigons).

Hello to all,

I have been reading this lines hoping to find a solution to the fact that I just cannot find this openly proposed option in layout of: Items -> Add -> Lights -> Convert Luxigons". i am using lightwave 10.1 and it just does not exist (at least in the lights option). Only the different lights appear, but not the convert luxigons option.
An every one comments on it as if it was there.... man! am I doing something so basically wrong ??? Please I would beg you to tell me exactly where the option is because I just can't find it and I previously assign the luxicons in modeler and I select the object as well before looking for this...

Any help I can get from you guys will be super appreciated !!

I

RudySchneider
01-07-2012, 11:07 AM
If you're using 10.1, its under Utilities > Additional > ConvertLuxigons.