PDA

View Full Version : Can Modeler zoom closer than 20mm??

heynewt
05-30-2008, 07:31 AM
I've got a big object with some very small components. I have to zoom down to the small components. If I had thought about it ahead of time I would have modeled everything over-sized. But I modeled to scale, and now I can't get Modeler to zoom beyond 20mm grid spacing. Is this new to 9.3? I thought I remembered the zoom capabilities going much closer. Maybe they never did.

Robert N.

JeffrySG
05-30-2008, 07:45 AM
Try selecting the area (polys) you want to zoom in on, and then "Hide unselected" "=" and then do a fit selection "shift-A".

You might also just get it to work by selecting the polys and doing a Shift-A.

See if that works....

meshpig
05-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Shift a should do it

m

heynewt
05-30-2008, 07:53 AM
Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. No, that doesn't work either. I'll just squint a lot and put my face real close to the monitor.

Did want to thank you for the great SubD tutorials you've put up. I'm trying to teach a Maya guy how to model in Modeler, and they're a big help.

Robert

heynewt
05-30-2008, 08:03 AM
I know about Shift-A, been using that for years. That does not cause the selected points/polys to fill the frame unless the grid zoom is greater than 20mm. It's like there's a mechanical "stop" on my zoom. Whether I'm using Shift-A (which is so familiar to me when I model, it's like breathing) or the little right and left keyboard pointer keys (the ones over the period) or whether I actually place the cursor on the magnifying glass and zoom in by hand. All methods stop when the grid hits 20mm (you can see it in the lower left hand corner).

I've probably tweaked some setting that limits my ability to zoom, though it's a setting I was unaware of. If I delete my configs it might fix it.

Robert N.

Steamthrower
05-30-2008, 08:27 AM
I just tried; I can zoom all the way down to 0.1 um, whatever the heck that is. It's way past 1mm.

heynewt
05-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Okay, thanks. That's what I thought. It's got to be a config problem on my end.

A few days ago I installed a piece of beta software (which I can't discuss), and I messed up on setting up a separate configs folder for it. I think it overwrote my configs, and that's where the problem lies.

I'll get it fixed. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Consider this one closed.

Robert N.

JeffrySG
05-30-2008, 09:33 AM
Jeff,
Did want to thank you for the great SubD tutorials you've put up. I'm trying to teach a Maya guy how to model in Modeler, and they're a big help.
Robert

Glad you're getting some use out of them! :)

zardoz
05-30-2008, 10:38 AM
see where is your mesh. If it is too far from the origin modeler may not be able to zoom in.
if you create a sphere with 1 meter and place it at 10km from the origin you won't be able to zoom in. maybe it is a bit far.

try to center it.

hdace
05-30-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't think it's the configs. Why don't you just scale up the whole model? Maybe by a factor of 10? With the origin as your center.

heynewt
05-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks. It was the configs (or else just rebooting the computer). I deleted them (needed to anyway). Reloaded all my settings. Now I can zoom into 1um. All is good with the world. Have no idea what caused that zoom lock.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. And yes, I have seen problems when you've got some object like 10KM from the point of origin. This object was less than a meter from the point of origin.

Also scaling up the object wasn't really practical, because the animation, cam, lighting, etc had already been set in the scene. I mean, I guess I could have scaled it back down in the scene, but it's all moot now.

It's fine.

Robert