PDA

View Full Version : VOB Editing

AL DOLAN
07-24-2003, 11:50 AM
I work for a Pipeline inspection service that has been delivering their product/service to their customer on VHS or S-VHS tape. The video is usually a 2 hr tape with 10 or 15 segments showing the inside of 8" to 8ft sewer pipe Each of the segments are numbered by manhole cover to manhole cover. ie 78401 - 78402, 78402 - 78403 and so on

They want to change over and deliver on DVD but still record on S-VHS ( Some day I may get to put DVD recorders in the trucks if we figure out how to seal it away from the nasty environment ).

We were sold a VT3 to do this transfer to DVD. The proposed method was to capture on VT3 - edit on Speed Razor and convert to .m2v. Then author in Reel DVD from Sonic as it is necessary to menu and name each line segment according to Manhole to Manhole. Anyway the Sonic thing finally brings us to a .vob on a DVD. The whole process takes about 5 1/2 hrs to yield each 1 hr of DVD -- Not Acceptable

I have found a $700 desktop DVD recorder (Panasonic DMR-E80H) wherein I capture the video onto it's 80 gig hard drive.
A 1 hr capture in .vob has to be edited into the separate segments and named with a gameboy type controller manipulation (which is slow and cumbersome). Once edited and a menu created it's ready for burning to DVD. - Whole process 2 1/2 hrs - Still pretty slow

What I would like to do is capture as a .vob - edit into line segments name them and drop it all onto a DVD as a file transfer
maybe in 1 1/2 hrs?? Is that possible?

What are all these companies selling in vob editing - are you right in there competing with them.

I see their web sites when I do a google search with "vob edit"

AL DOLAN
[email protected]

hunter
07-24-2003, 02:01 PM
what you need is a capture card that captures in mp2. There are many out there, matrox, pinnacle etc. It saves all the time converting to dvd.

meshmaster
07-25-2003, 07:55 AM
that the next version of Premiere will have the power to edit vobs directly.