PDA

View Full Version : Mac vs PC user base?

Paul_Boland
05-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi Folks.

Lightwave is dual format, right, works on both Mac's and PC's. I was just curious what the user base is like so if you have a moment, take part in the poll above and if you wish add a comment below.

I'm a PC user by the way.

hdace
05-29-2008, 01:39 PM
I suppose I should vote 'cause I prefer the Mac OS. But I've been using both platforms since the early 90s and I see no reason why I should click on a button that places me in one camp or the other, especially when both have their own idiosyncratic pros & cons.

I can tell you now, my next few purchases will be of PC parts because it is so much cheaper to build one's own PC's, and I'll use them for rendering only. But in a year or two I will upgrade to the heftiest Mac for actual modeling and animating.

JeffrySG
05-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Yes, you should have added a few more options.

3. use both Win / Mac

and maybe these too:
4. Use Win but occasionally Mac
5. Use Mac but occasionally Win

Not sure if you can edit the survey....

Steamthrower
05-29-2008, 02:47 PM
I own a Mac and use that in freelance, but the company I work for is PC-only. I voted Mac.

rakker16mm
05-29-2008, 03:26 PM
I use LW on a Mac, but I am going to run a PC soon though not for the purpose of running LW.... although I am sure I will install it on that machine as well since I will have access to more plugins.

Anti-Distinctly
05-30-2008, 02:06 AM
Both.

archijam
05-30-2008, 02:13 AM
How about we just start this thread again :) ?

Both!

meshpig
05-30-2008, 02:51 AM
Yeah, statistically the outcome is already known. I'd be surprised if the balance tipped toward macs. Amusing if it were?

m

littlewaves
05-30-2008, 03:43 AM
I wonder how long this thread will last before it descends into another utterly pointless mac vs pc slagfest

voted Mac as that's my main machine at the moment although I've swapped back and forth through the years.

Have certainly considered moving to PC for lightwave use just because the larger user-base means more plugins and development.

Paul_Boland
05-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Sorry, didn't realise there was so many "both" users, I just assumed you'd use a Mac or a PC. Not looking to start a debate on which format is better, I was just interested in what the split was. At the moment it's 60/40 to PC. Interesting to see so many Mac users here, I would have expected it to be much smaller.

Nicolas Jordan
05-30-2008, 01:06 PM
I have considered getting a Mac many times but always ending up getting a boring PC because they tend to be much cheaper and can do the same job in the end.

frantbk
05-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Don't forget there is a thread here about using the Mac OS on a plain box PC. Also don't forget the Linux users. If they are a die hard Linux user which version of Lightwave are they using, PC, or Mac?

I think it would have been smaller if Mac was still on the PowerPC, but since the change to Intel I thought it would be higher than 40% - seeing that Vista was such a success.

hdace
05-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Don't forget there is a thread here about using the Mac OS on a plain box PC.

Link please.

SP00
05-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Mac, because coverflow and expose speeds up my workflow, but LW UB currently runs slower than the PC build. So the mac version is not good for heavy scenes.

frantbk
05-30-2008, 02:38 PM
Link please.

I could not find the link here at NT, so it must have been one of those side conversation in a thread. I did save a copy of the ZDnet CO.UK article:
Running Mac OS X on standard PCs
Kai Schmerer ZDNet Germany

Published: 14 May 2008

That should help.

hdace
05-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Cheers

hdace
05-30-2008, 02:48 PM
http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,1000001098,39415279,00.htm

wow - had no idea. Must try this out sometime!

SP00
05-30-2008, 02:51 PM
I have considered getting a Mac many times but always ending up getting a boring PC because they tend to be much cheaper and can do the same job in the end.

I don't think that is true anymore. Here are some prices.

Mac Pro
2.8 Dual Quads w. 1600mhz fsb, 800MHz 2 gigs of ram, 8800GT w. 512 M Ram, 320 Gig HD
$ 2,999.00

Dell Precision Workstation T5400 nSeries
2.8 Dual Quads w. 1333mhz fsb, 667Mhz 2gigs of ram, nVidia NVS 290 w. 256M Ram, 320 Gig HD.
$ 4,148.00

Self-Built (using Newegg.com for general reference) - Best match
3.0 Dual Quads 1600MHz = $2200 (cheapest harpertown at 1600Mhz)
2 G Ram at 800Mhz (with ECC fully buffered) = $140
Enclosure = $100
Powersupply = $100
Motherboard 1600Mhz fsb = $400
8800 GT = $200
320 G HD = $70
DVD RW = $40
XP Pro = $140
mouse & keyboard = $50
Total = $3,440.00

Granted that the self build computer is using a 3.0 processor instead of a 2.8 processor. These estimate still makes it very clear that the Mac Pro are a great value for the price. If you considered, the iLife suite, their amazing well thought out aluminum case and Motherboard design, then the MacPro becomes a no brainer for Dual Quads purchase.

hdace
05-30-2008, 03:10 PM
SP00 - Great research. I love adding up prices and building my own PCs. But I would like to remind those who are still interested that sometimes you just want a fast render box to compliment one's actual working box.

I bet you could come up with a render box that doesn't have the fancy stuff that comes out cheaper than the Mac Pro (keeping in mind that I far prefer Macs).

Enclosure: $30, no video card (doesn't the motherboard you've got have one built in?), 40 G HD: $45, 16x DVD RW: $25 (that's if you can be arsed), XP Home OEM $89 (I think), mouse & keyboard: $20.

If my math is right that comes out to $2799. Only $200 savings, but makes you think, huh? And I'm still blown away by the idea of running OS X on a PC. That could especially help if you want Mac OS for ScreamerNet.

rakker16mm
05-30-2008, 03:39 PM
I find Macs to be very stable [ which is important to me ] and that probably has more to do with the tight coupling of the OS to the hardware than anything else. The down side of that obviously is when it comes to picking and choosing what components you feel are best suited to your system. If you really need a custom rig then Macs may not be for you.

As far as price and performance go you will usually pay more for name brand turn key solutions whether they be Dell, HP or Apple than something you can cobble on your own, BUT when things go wrong you tend to be on your own.

The argument of what is the best computer or OS will never be answered because different people and organizations have different needs.

The best computer is the one that is going to do 1 ) what you want/need it to do 2 ) in the time frame you can live with 3 ) no more hoop jumping and headaches than you can deal with and finally 4 ) is with in your budget.

If it fails in one of those four key areas you need a different computer. Right now for me the computer satisfies those four requirements is most often a Mac, but I am also resurrecting an old PC to run some animation that currently does not run on a Mac. At other times I am running Final Cut pro which runs only on a Mac. Which computer is better? The one that gets the job done.

SP00
05-30-2008, 03:40 PM
That is true that it is cheaper to build your own bare minimum renderbox, but there is also the time it takes to put everything together and make sure eveything works on a rock solid stable level. Definitely don't want a crash on a render that might run overnight. I built my last 3 computers before I got a macpro, but right before I got the mac, I decided that I rather give them money to make sure it is stable. Plus there parts are generally of higher quality.

Stooch
05-30-2008, 04:08 PM
mac user here. only macs and nothing else for me. everything else is boring and no professional would use boring computers.

Ztreem
05-30-2008, 04:40 PM
PC user here. only PCs and nothing else for me. everything else is boring and no professional would use boring computers. :D

rakker16mm
05-30-2008, 07:15 PM
CASIO FX-750P user here. only Casio and nothing else for me. everything else is boring. :thumbsup:

COBRASoft
05-30-2008, 08:25 PM
I would like to say... AMIGA :)

But, due to work and the lack of Amiga support, I switched to a PC WorkStation. Mac used to be good, when they used the Motorola/IBM chips. Now, they're a linux variant running on Intel chips. I would say that the real Mac is dead, although I know very well that the OS has become very powerfull nowadays. Still no support for .Net developers though (shame on you MS).

JonW
05-30-2008, 09:40 PM
I use both Mac & PC, & do everything on my prehistoric Mac including very large Photoshop files. Computing power for rendering is in another league and I needed as much CPU power as possible, having only so much money, I could buy a lot more computing power for rendering with the PC..... 8 CPUs, 8 gb ram etc, & build the computer to my specifications.

My PC & Mac are networked & work really well together, there aren’t any issues, and I can also work on something else while 8 CPUs work flat out.

If you need serious number crunching & have a limited budget ad a PC (or 2) to your set-up to get the most GHz per Dollar, you can have the best of both worlds. Using Lightwave on Mac or PC is basically the same and you can enjoy using your Mac for the less intensive CPU tasks.

LW_Will
05-31-2008, 08:21 AM
I use both. I think most people who use the Mac use a PC. This is true if they use an Intel Mac (BootCamp or Virtual Machine) or some of the G4 systems (cheap PC in the corner).

I think we need a third category, BOTH.

Also, I've heard some plug-in developers say that people always bug them about making a Mac version of their plug-ins, but, when they release the Mac version, they never sell one.

What's that about?

Lightwolf
05-31-2008, 08:38 AM
Also, I've heard some plug-in developers say that people always bug them about making a Mac version of their plug-ins, but, when they release the Mac version, they never sell one.

What's that about?
We old more than one ;)

The problem with any kind of statistic like this is that you're (in this case) finding out the number of users amongst the ones that: know this forum, participate and bother ot answer. That already narrows things down a lot.

The same for developers: Ther statistics only reflect the number of users that know of the plugin and also need it and are willing to pay for it (or download it if it is free).

I've had some statistics for free plugins I ported cross platform (all LW platforms) and MacOS had generally as many downloads as the Win64 version, which is roughly 15%-20% of the amount of Win32 downloads.

Cheers,
Mike

Stooch
06-01-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't think that is true anymore. Here are some prices.

Mac Pro
2.8 Dual Quads w. 1600mhz fsb, 800MHz 2 gigs of ram, 8800GT w. 512 M Ram, 320 Gig HD
$ 2,999.00

Dell Precision Workstation T5400 nSeries
2.8 Dual Quads w. 1333mhz fsb, 667Mhz 2gigs of ram, nVidia NVS 290 w. 256M Ram, 320 Gig HD.
$ 4,148.00

Self-Built (using Newegg.com for general reference) - Best match
3.0 Dual Quads 1600MHz = $2200 (cheapest harpertown at 1600Mhz)
2 G Ram at 800Mhz (with ECC fully buffered) = $140
Enclosure = $100 >>> REUSE
Powersupply = $100 >>> REUSE
Motherboard 1600Mhz fsb = $400
8800 GT = $200 >>> REUSE
320 G HD = $70 >>> REUSE
DVD RW = $40 >>> REUSE
XP Pro = $140 >>> REUSE
mouse & keyboard = $50 >>> REUSE
Total = $3,440.00 OR AS LOW AS: ~2340

Any custom pc builder will have parts lying around from older setups.
Infact the main reason why builders save money is because you get to reuse alot of components, while new rigs tend to slap on alot of hardware even if you dont need it. Even the vid card could be reused from an old setup, especially for LW since it doesnt really make full use of your video accelerator anyway. infact you could just replace the motherboard, cpu and ram and optionally the powersupply to give your machine a new render heart.

So to make your statement more accurate, it will only apply to someone who is new to PC building, if this is the case a person like that wouldnt even bother building a pc from scratch, they would automatically choose a pre-assembled or a barebones setup. There are system integrators that are directly competitive with the mac pro. Just do a google search for "dual quad core barebones" there is a whole slew of them. newegg is not the best place for system builders. try www.pricewatch.com

dwburman
06-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Oops. I meant to vote Mac but clicked PC. Technically, I use both. I'm using the Mac version now more b/c it's on a faster machine, tho it's sort of a borrowed machine at the moment.

arsad
06-01-2008, 02:31 PM
well i use the Pc version on a Macpro...(botcamp)
...am I in the Mac or Pc camp?

Steamthrower
06-01-2008, 02:42 PM

You're a Mac! ;)

arsad
06-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Well to be correct, at home I use both platforms (1 MAC and 6 PCs) but only the win version of Lightwave.
I recently bought a MBP and till now I found no reason to switch to LW-Mac.
Even where I work right now we only use the windows version (there are 5 Macs and only 1 PC).
This might change if the LW 9.5 UB version kicks @$$ and essential plugins are developped for Mac.

Steamthrower
06-01-2008, 06:26 PM
if the LW 9.5 UB version kicks @$$

It does kick @$$, I assure you.

Just curious; what would you consider essential plugins?

hdace
06-01-2008, 11:40 PM
Any custom pc builder will have parts lying around from older setups.

AND, every item you marked as reuse can be got on ebay for peanuts.

I can't believe I forgot to mention that earlier. I often reuse parts, just as you say, and when I haven't got them I get them, as I say, on ebay, a PC builder's best friend.

hdace
06-01-2008, 11:57 PM

Even where I work right now we only use the windows version (there are 5 Macs and only 1 PC).

With regard to the first point (and your work situation only), as Steamthrower says, you're definitely Mac. At least with regard to this thread. That is because the original question was Mac or PC, not Mac OS or Windows OS. That would imply hardware and you're mostly using Mac hardware.

But that is a prerequisite to the far more interesting issue regarding your second point and the other discussions here about PC building. The company you work for is probably modeled on the conventional business mode where prebuilt hardware is purchased with minimal fuss and price.

In that case it's a no-brainer, buy the Mac.

But if your company is run by an unconventional, PC building person who doesn't mind the extra effort in finding cheap parts and putting them together, then it's gotta be a PC.

Someone else mentioned stability. I've built lots of PC's and I never have problems with stability.

Paul_Boland
06-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Well to be correct, at home I use both platforms (1 MAC and 6 PCs)...

Do you live in an office? LOL!!

arsad
06-02-2008, 02:17 PM
no I'm freelancer and sometimes work at home.
So I need some renderpower to render my animations.
It is just a little renderfarm 12 Cpus total. And yes, I have
an extra room in my appartment for the work! ;-)

DiscreetFX
06-02-2008, 04:22 PM
Both are used @ DiscreetFX

DiscreetFX
06-02-2008, 04:42 PM
And we use Amiga too! For fun!

:D