PDA

View Full Version : Issues with bacground HDR image

BeDrinkable
05-29-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm working on a handfull of outdoor scenes, and I decided to use some HDR images of skies for a skydome. Having little experience with these images, I just put an HDR Exposure filter on it to adjust the sky to look good enough for my purposes and left it at that.

The issue since then has been that when I take the scenes and network render them on screamernet, the HDR Exposure filter will only work sometimes rendering some frames and then fail to expose properly when it renders other frames. This results in a sky that flickers between being very dark sky image and much lighter one. So, what I'm trying to figure out is if there is a way to just save an image in lightwave with the HDR Exposure settings, or have I gotten myself into a real mess?

I have tried, with little success, to UV unwrap (I'm not that good with Lightwave's UV tools) the hemisphere where I have the image placed (I have image currently spherically projected onto my hemisphere and not UVed) so I can try to surface bake it, but as you can guess it wasn't working too well for me, so I'm here.

Any help would be greatfully appriciated.

flakester
05-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Howdy Dude.

You should be able to take your HDR into a later release of Photoshop or even After Effects to adjust the exposure to your liking, then save it from there. Then use the newly exposed image in LW as your map.

Hope that helps,

flakester.

BeDrinkable
05-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Howdy Dude.

You should be able to take your HDR into a later release of Photoshop or even After Effects to adjust the exposure to your liking, then save it from there. Then use the newly exposed image in LW as your map.

Hope that helps,

flakester.

Thanks for the help. So far, using photoshop is the route that I've started to take. The only thing that I don't like it that I don't seem to be getting results that I like as much as I was with LW.

Anyone have any tips on working between LW and Photoshop with HDRIs?

flakester
05-29-2008, 09:08 AM
You should also be able to open the HDR in LW's Image Viewer FP, to change the exposure there, and save a new version of the image for use as a map.

BeDrinkable
05-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Or I could be smart and realize I could throw the image in the background of an empty scene and render out a new image of the same size. Funny how this issue went from me being in it pretty deep if I don't get this solved really soon to being simple. I guess pressure can make you over think things. lol

Thanks for the help!