PDA

View Full Version : Lighting trouble

nolan5678
05-29-2008, 04:53 AM
Im having alot of trouble lighting this scene.
Does anyone have any advice as to how I could more effectively light this scene?

Mitja
05-29-2008, 05:00 AM
Depends on what this object is:
-a football stadium seen from top;
-a corridor (spaceship, submarine?) with a green door at the end of it;
-something else! :)

Nangleator
05-29-2008, 06:47 AM
Hmm... Looks like a mostly black product on an entirely black background.

I think in this case you've got a big problem with that black floor. I'd say lose it.

If this was my product, I'd mount it on a blown glass pedestal (that looked as chaotic as a frozen water fountain,) and place the whole thing against clouds of blue and purple smoke. That will give you some contrast, and let you hit that baby with light cannons.

That's just my term for strong kickers and a good key light.

One of my favorite things about doing product shots in LW is that I can take pictures that would make a photo studio guy go insane trying to duplicate. Here's (http://home.comcast.net/~david.nangle/images/3D_Product_9.jpg) part of a picture I did once for a guidewire.

RollerJesus
05-29-2008, 07:08 AM
I'd have to agree with changing the background, or at least the color.

Then try using an area light or a white plane above the camera and at about a 30 degree angle to the object (whatever it is), pointing it at the object. If you use an area light, try making it off white (experiment here with light colors) and adjust the intensity (85%) and falloff to taste. If you use a white plane, set the illumination as high as needed and experiment with color again.

Create a spotlight and place it slightly below the object at a 90 degree angle and use a light blue or orange, some light color to compliment the highlights in your object. (green maybe) Use about 35% intensity

Throw another spotlight above the object and a little behind it with a low intensity (25%) and experiment with color.

Add some other spot lights to fill in any dark parts with a low intensity setting.

Also, you can try giving the background a touch of reflection, it may help.

just some ideas...

voriax
05-29-2008, 06:07 PM
It's a stadium.. hold your mouse over the image without clicking it and it's called stadium_04_0001.jpg

I'd offer a suggestion, but I've no idea what look is trying to be achieved. Are you trying to light the exterior of the stadium or the interior?