PDA

View Full Version : worse performance when upgrading?

sadkkf
07-24-2003, 11:39 AM
It was less than a year ago I bought a VT[2] and built a dual 2.2 AMD machine for it.

Now I see the VT[3] is enhanced for 64-bit procesors. Will I see a performance DOWNGRADE if I upgrade to the [3] using my current system?

Thanks!

Fr1tz
07-25-2003, 03:36 AM
I can't really tell for sure, but I think you'll see a downgrade. The VT[3] uses SSE2 featured by P4's and AMD Opteron. Your CPU's have no SSE2. The story begins with Intel designing the P4 by following the marketing logic (lots of Mhz) and not the engineering logic (lots of real-life performance).

If you don't agree with that, prepare yourself for a nice long deep technical read:

http://www.emulators.com/docs/pentium_1.htm#Analyzing

...if you want to see the facts that made my opinion. If you're just an Intel fanatic and take CPUs as religion, then don't bother with that reading. I really don't want to offend your religious feelings :)

Athlon and P4 are so different in design that the software makers had to choose. NewTek choose P4. Generally speaking, if you optimize your software for P4 you de-optimize it for AMD. There, hope it helped you.

robewil
07-25-2003, 10:31 AM
Newtek has publicly stated that AMD processors will work in VT[3] but due to it not having SSE2 instructions, some features such as 3D positioning will operate significantly slower than on a comparable P4 system.

Now I see the VT[3] is enhanced for 64-bit procesorsNot yet it hasn't since the P4 is a 32 bit CPU.

sadkkf
07-28-2003, 02:26 PM
Well, thanks for the input. For now, I think, I'll stick with what works.

At least I can upgrade to LW8!