PDA

View Full Version : PVR - Perception

Mr Rid
05-29-2008, 12:57 AM
Am I the only one still using one regularly?

The motherboard started acting up in an old W2K system with the PVR and 3 SCSI drives that's been running smooth for 12 years. I tried replacing the MB with 2 others (both older MBs as well) that fixed the problem, but now I keep getting a 'PVR Failed To Start' error and the event log says it fails to see any of the SCSi drives. Cant figure out why.

Tried re-installing the PVR software, and there is nothing wrong with drives, IDs, or termination because they worked when I last re-connected them to the original MB, right before that MB died altogether. The 'knowledge base' on the current DPS/Leitch/Harris site is no help. Am losing hope of salvaging my old Video Action Pro edit timelines used the dedicated PVR drives.

I keep thinking there is some configuration trick I have forgotten somewhere. Any suggestions from any other old-timers out there who might recall a pertinent peculiarity of PVR install?

digefxgrp
05-30-2008, 06:23 AM
I remember getting that message a few motherboards back. There was some bs incompatibility issue with the PVR and that particular board's chipset. If I remember correctly, it was an Asus. This forced me to shelve the board. :compbeati
However last fall I built up a couple of new Quad-core machines and for shitz and giggles reinstalled the PVR and Reality cards. To my surprise both worked with the new motherboards (Intel) as well as XP Pro.
They're now back in service and I love once again having video frame buffer LW output for testing. The Reality software came with a LW output tool and for the PVR I use Shekinah Studios PVR-Render plugin.

Surrealist.
05-30-2008, 07:08 AM
For what it's worth weighing in on it. I was thinking hardware conflict too. With the added information that the 2K Os always seemed to be picky about SCSI, but I am not sure if that effects the dedicated drives in the same way. I stopped using DPS after the PAR but have had similar machines over that period. Interesting that the PVR works on current boards. :)

Mr Rid
06-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Nice to get any response on this. I thought one of the two alt MBs I tried might work since they are both about as old as the original MB. Though Ive read of others getting it to work on newer systems and with XP. Is not easy to find a MB that has room for the elongated PVR and under-hung capture card. I have a special, monster case for it, housing 7 drives and 12 fans. Depressing for it to not work anymore.

I love the PVR though and have still never seen a more efficient equivalent. The compression quality is still fantastic, can render tests directly to the drives, and is so easy to throw play lists together with a few clicks and store reference and animations. The PVR definitely speeds my workflow. The old Video Action editor is full featured and works directly with the dedicated drives. Animations just plain look better viewed on a big video display.

Is also helpful when matchmoving if you load your ref clip from the PVR. The image scrubs on the vid monitor right along with the frame scrub in LW so you can see it clearly. Fusion will also update any part of a flow thru the PVR by just clicking '3' on any current tool and will display/scrub it on your video monitor.

The thing just still kicks ***. I didnt know any PVR users who liked the Reality board follow up. Was much less intuitive, clunky and crashy. Its always so strange to me when someone make an upgrade that is worse.

Surrealist.
06-02-2008, 01:15 AM
Wow interesting report on that. It has been so long since I have been hardware dependent, I have not missed it at all. But I can see the definite advantages there. And I always liked DPS as a company. They were pretty good for a while. Hope you can get it running. :)

robk
06-05-2008, 10:26 PM
I have a perception card and 9.1 gb 10000 rpm scsi hd just sitting in the closet. Hmm I wonder if anyone would be interested?

Mr Rid
06-06-2008, 01:30 PM
I used to occasionally see them for sale on ebay for a maybe a few hundred. But it is too outdated these days.

I would be interested in a whole system that currently works. As I have found, it is too much trouble if you dont know if the PVR will work with a particular MB. I have spoken to someone in town who said they may give me a system they dont use anymore.