PDA

View Full Version : Displacement mapping tools in Layout???

Paul_Boland
05-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Hi Folks.

Was just messing around with Displacement Maps the other day to get a feel for how they work and it seems very odd to me that Displacement Mapping tools are in Layout and not Modeller. After all, when you use Displacement Mapping on an object to physically change the layout of the polygons making the model, sometimes you want to do more work on the model. In Lightwave, you create your dense base model in Modeller, take it into Layout, apply the Displacement Mapping and then in Modeller, to get it back, you have to save the scene in Layout and then in Modeller load object from scene?!?! Seems very cumbersome. The Displacement Mapping tools should be in Modeller, shouldn't they???

Paul_Boland
05-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks, Neverko. I'm not trying to make anything specifically, I was just getting a feel for how the Displacement Maps worked in Lightwave and it seems odd that they can only be applied in Layout. Thanks anyway, appreciate the feedback.

evenflcw
05-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Did you find the Texture Point Map function in Modeler yet?

The only thing missing from it is normal displacement, and of course a Nodal implementation (in which case almost anything would be possible).

EDIT:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/Texturedpoint.mov

Paul_Boland
05-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Did you find the Texture Point Map function in Modeler yet?

The only thing missing from it is normal displacement, and of course a Nodal implementation (in which case almost anything would be possible).

EDIT:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/Vidz/Texturedpoint.mov

Cool! Thanks for the link to the movie.