PDA

View Full Version : What texturing method/tool should I use ?

Weetos
05-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi gang

I modeled this object and I need to texture it, going for photorealism. I was wondering how I could go about texturing it, since its has rounded edges almost everywhere, and I'm after a used look (the "chrome" layer should be missing in some areas, unrevealing the brass underneath, and it should have scratches here and there, see picture attached)

I only have LW, Photoshop and a wacom tablet, and I'd love to be able to paint directly on the model ( ala bodypaint or modo) so if you know a cheap/free tool that allows to do that, I'll be more than happy to know about it :) Otherwise, I'd love to hear what techniques should I use, given the toolset I have

Thanks !

PS : LW9.3.1 / Photoshop CS3

JeffrySG
05-28-2008, 04:22 PM
If you can't find a free 3d paint app, why not just uv unwrap the key and paint it in photoshop? The key is pretty flat so I don't think you'll lose too much painting in 2d... you know?

Surrealist.
05-28-2008, 06:32 PM
I agree on the UV mapping. Doesn't Blender have 3D painting?

Anyway to UV map it just take each facet one at a time.

You can unweld the points of the model, then just select the polys of each part that needs a different kind of map or direction and add it to the map one by one. You can play with it and see which ones will work.

Weetos
05-29-2008, 02:33 AM
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I tried to make a UV map starting from an Atlas UV which was pretty clean (just had to tidy it up a bit and ). My main concern is that don't want seams to be visible, so I may have to try different UVs before I get the expected result.

Thanks again guys, I'll post the result asap if anyone is interested.

JeffrySG
05-29-2008, 07:20 AM
To help with the seams (seamless) issue, I would probably break the key into four parts:
1. front
2. back
3. outside edge
4. inside edge of the hole.

This will help hide the seams as all the breaks will be on the sharp(est) places and most of the wearing will take place on those areas. This is the method I've been using for my WIP (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83057) and it's been working pretty well so far. I've also been unwraping in blender as the plg tools don't work on the mac.