PDA

View Full Version : animated rail extrude

zzzndr
07-24-2003, 10:26 AM
hoi

i have to animate a growing building and tubes. the tubes have different kinds of shapes; they resemble sort of a knot ;). i can't make it work with morphing and sclaling. it needs to look slick. i have been looking for an animated rail extrude-like option in lightwave

i also tried to animate it with bones and subdivisions, but then it looks way to organic.

does anybody have a clue for me?

thanx

i'm still working in lightwave 6.5 :(

riki
07-24-2003, 10:46 AM
Growing tubes could be similar to growing vines??

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=40050#post40050

Neil_Campbell
07-24-2003, 01:07 PM
Without seeing exactly what you're trying to build it's not easy to say what would and wouldn't work. Can you post a couple of stills, like early in the "life" of the object and later on? Failing that, what about building the complete geometry then using animated clip / transparency maps to run along the tubes to gradually reveal "growth"?

zzzndr
07-25-2003, 02:21 AM
thanx for your reaction

i couldn't post any images of the tube-system, i'm still searching how to animate, that probably has concequences for the modeling technique. in windows there is a growing tubes screensaver, what i have to create has similarities

i have to animate flowing steam through the tubes as well. the link to the growing vines is really great, but sadly doesn't work in my case i'm afraid (or i could n't make work)

the image i attached is an old steammill from 1849. it drained together with 2 similar steammills the haarlemmermeer, a big lake between the dutch city's amsterdam, haarlem and leiden. it's also the biggest steam engine in the world; a couple of years after they build the 3 steammills they discovered how to build effective steam enigines, so they did n't need to be that big anymore :)

the tubesystem are inside the tower
the look and feel will be grafical, i have to surfacing though

munky
07-25-2003, 02:28 AM
Have you had a look at Object Replacement?

regards

paul

zzzndr
07-25-2003, 03:49 AM
does that mean i'll have to model dozens of objects?

or can i morph between those objects?

until now i always worked with endomorphs

munky
07-25-2003, 06:11 AM
Yes you would have to make lots of models sort of but the way to do it is to make the longest tube first and then reduce the length but remember to number them in reverse. Also there is a plugin which enables you to do this as layers then export all the layers as seperate objects. I think youll find it on flay.com and if my memory serves me right it's called layers to object

also you could checkout Bezier Bend which might do the trick.

regards
paul

zzzndr
07-25-2003, 07:36 AM
thank you

i'll try it

07-25-2003, 10:00 AM
Plan your shots before you build the models.
When you first try this sort of thing, it's always tempting to try to set up the complete 'growth' as one sequence and then film it from different angles, but that usually ends it tears.
Your' going to want to cut between camera angles, and there is going to be loads of 'growth' which simply doesn't happen in frame.
Concentrate on the individal shots, you can get away with murder off-camera and severe felony in the background, continuity-wise, if your centre of attention is good enough, and you change camera angle judiciously, and the end result will be a much more impressive bit of video !

(you will also discover that using morphs to 'grow' things by working backwards, gradually parcelling up the polys at the growth end, does lead you to a very big cluster of points to 'hide' in your growing end, and a it can be a real pain to get things to grow smoothely round curves)

kthegene
07-26-2003, 08:15 AM
i was trying to do something similar. i found a plugin....however never got it to work properly.

others have however.

it was in lightwave tips and tricks, with keywords animated extrusions.

i don't know if this will be of help. if you get it to work...perhaps you can enlighten me!

kthegene
07-26-2003, 08:19 AM
http://kagedio.infoseek.livedoor.com/pg_a.html

this is the shortcut. you'll have to mess around a bit. try downloading what you can. unless you speak japanese.....then you will know which one for sure.