PDA

View Full Version : Support for Widescreen GUI?

Adam_LightPlay
05-27-2008, 08:53 PM
It seems that most computer monitors are going widescreen, at least the ones on sale sure seem to be.
Will TriCaster 2.0 software still be locked to 1280x1084, or will it support widescreen settings like 1680x1050? Improper aspect ratio bugs the heck out of me, and not a lot of VGA monitors will go into a pillar box mode.
I understand that it might not be practical to redesign the GUI to a different shape, but if would be great if there could at least be a way to use the common widescreen monitors, and send them a pillar boxed version. Thanks.

Quiet1onTheSet
05-28-2008, 09:22 PM
It seems that most computer monitors are going widescreen, at least the ones on sale sure seem to be.
Will TriCaster 2.0 software still be locked to 1280x1084, or will it support widescreen settings like 1680x1050?

Hi, Adam. TriCaster 2.0 software upgrade, along with some cool new abilities, brings to even the lower-tiered TriCaster models, much of what's available in TriCaster STUDIO.

That said, I'd imagine that your upgrading to the 2.0 software will likely get you that Widescreen interface display/monitoring option, as has been available on TriCaster STUDIO for over a year now.

Q1

Adam_LightPlay
05-28-2008, 11:39 PM
That said, I'd imagine that your upgrading to the 2.0 software will likely get you that Widescreen interface display/monitoring option, as has been available on TriCaster STUDIO for over a year now.

Q1

Really, it is? On the VGA-GUI port? Or are you referring to the DVI-Projector port's adjustable settings?

Just to be clear, I don't mean support for widescreen video, I mean support for the TriCasters GUI to be on a widescreen VGA monitor, that usually has a tendency to stretch the GUI so round knobs are ovals and everyone has a fat head.

Anyway, Thanks for the help.

Quiet1onTheSet
05-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Really, it is? On the VGA-GUI port? Or are you referring to the DVI-Projector port's adjustable settings?

Just to be clear, I don't mean support for widescreen video, I mean support for the TriCasters GUI to be on a widescreen VGA monitor, that usually has a tendency to stretch the GUI so round knobs are ovals and everyone has a fat head...Thanks for the clarification, Adam. NewTek's press release
Next Generation TriCaster Systems (http://www.newtek.com/news/pressrelease.php?viewpr=55) indicate that the 16:9 support that'll be available to TriCaster and TriCasterPRO relate to support for 16:9 video switching.

I'll add that in this mode, the GUI is also transformed to a 16:9 output to your connected interface display monitor, which ought then to be the choice of a 16 x 9 monitor as you apparently have.

I suspect that 4:3 video coming into a TriCaster 2.0 (that's launched in 16:9 mode) would be pillar boxed on the left and right sides. On behalf of Adam, could anyone offer clarity on whether or not this is the case?

Excerpted quote from press release:
"...Both TriCaster PRO and TriCaster now offer switching support for both 16:9 and 4:3 video for greater flexibility in live production, along with SpeedEDIT™-based nonlinear editing for expanded pre and post production capabilities. In addition, the entry level TriCaster now includes Windows Media® push streaming which dramatically simplifies the ability to stream, a full featured character generator for creation of custom titles and adjustable VGA output resolution for projectors that support higher resolution display."

Q1

Adam_LightPlay
05-29-2008, 01:35 PM
I'll add that in this mode, the GUI is also transformed to a 16:9 output to your connected interface display monitor, which ought then to be the choice of a 16 x 9 monitor as you apparently have.
Q1

The little on-screen monitors stretch to 16x9, but I'm talking about the whole computer screen (GUI)

I suspect that 4:3 video coming into a TriCaster 2.0 (that's launched in 16:9 mode) would be pillar boxed on the left and right sides. On behalf of Adam, could anyone offer clarity on whether or not this is the case?

Q1

I's OK. Yes I know that is the case.

Paul Lara
05-29-2008, 02:45 PM
Yes, Adam, the new TriCaster Update stretches the interface to use that wide-aspect real-estate.

Quiet1onTheSet
05-29-2008, 03:36 PM
I'll add that in this mode, the GUI is also transformed to a 16:9 output to your connected interface display monitor, which ought then to be the choice of a 16 x 9 monitor as you apparently have. First off, I need to make a correction to my earlier statement above. Actually, widescreen LCD computer displays on the market, such as the one you're likely rockin' with, Adam, are typically 16:10 in shape, not 16:9 aspect ratio.

That said, is it a useful thing, for me to submit a feature request for having the TriCaster 16:9 Mode startup procedure include some options for
Auto-Scaling to fill the Connected Monitor
Enter the Native Display REsolution of Connected Monitor

I'm thinking that this might facilitate our "monitoring" incoming 16:9 video streams in true 16:9 ISO, PREVIEW and LIVE Out windows within TriCaster's Live Production GUI; and within the MONITOR windows for CAPTURE MEDIA and EDIT MEDIA.

Now, perhaps I'm off-base here, in that it's conceivable that this is already taken care of somehow. Ideas, insights, other thoughts welcome.

Q1