Stingslang
05-27-2008, 01:28 PM
Can Lightwave run on Leopard?

BlueApple
05-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Yep.

Stingslang
05-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Now does anybody see and specific ups or downs to upgrading to leopard?

Steamthrower
05-27-2008, 03:26 PM
Cool wallpapers.

tribbles
05-27-2008, 05:07 PM
I've been using LW and Leopard for a while - not had any problems which I wouldn't put down to general LW and Mac (random crashes; probably not Leopard though).

Time machine could be good (only set it up on Sunday, and haven't had the need for it yet - nice effects though!).

But other than that, I haven't really seen anything too new (except the wallpapers, as mentioned by Steamthrower, and the fact that when you shut down, it's now 1 minute by default, rather than 2).

SkidBoot
05-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Does Lightwave crash as often as modo? Modo acts like a Crash-O-Matic on my Mac. I have a 2.8 Core 2 Extreme 24" i-Mac with 4 gig of ram (not Apple ram, G-Skill). Even with this setup, Modo crashed the last five times I tried to use it and it was usually within 15 minutes.

Kuzey
05-28-2008, 06:39 AM
Most of the time it's fine, but for some reason (maybe a system conflict somewhere or the like), you'll get people reporting crashes that are unique to their computer, when it's fine on an identical computer setup. For those Very few people it would crash like mad and often.

But don't let that stop ya :D

Kuzey

Kuzey
05-28-2008, 07:12 AM
Oh...if you don't have LW yet then try the demo first.

Also, I believe Ram can cause problems as well.

Kuzey

eblu
05-28-2008, 08:00 AM
LW is a very useful, but delicate tool. you can get a lot done, but you pretty much HAVE to live with unexplained crashes.

Chilton
05-28-2008, 08:24 AM
And if you send me your crash logs, they bump the priority for crashing bugs in LW.

-Chilton

[email protected]
or
[email protected]

Giacomo99
05-28-2008, 07:32 PM
Two points:

1) If you're going to use Lightwave on a Leopard-equipped Mac Pro, plan on installing the 9.5 Open Beta. In my experience, 9.3 is so slow as to be completely unusable on the newer Intel Macs.

2) You can't save new Presets to the Preset Shelf in Leopard. At all, ever. Until they fix it.

LastofTheLarrys
05-28-2008, 11:13 PM
What he just said. 9.3.1 on Mac Pros Running 10.5.2 is unusable. I boot to Lightwave on Vista.

Looking forward to getting FPrime on UB.

tribbles
05-30-2008, 04:06 PM
And if you send me your crash logs, they bump the priority for crashing bugs in LW.

-Chilton

[email protected]
or
[email protected]

Actually, I've been meaning to ask - are these the log files you get that MacOS reports (text document with what all the threads were doing and so forth - on any application)? Or is it something special?

I did a search for "crash logs" in the forum; not too many topics, but I couldn't see instructions (feel free to point me in the right direction and say I'm blind if you like :) ).

Chilton
05-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Hi,

Yes, that's the one. It's the thing that appears when you click the 'report this problem' button or something like that, after an app crashes. Copy and paste the resulting report in an email.

Thanks!
-Chilton

Weepul
05-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Chilton, is it better to send crash reports directly to you, or is it enough to put them on the bug tracker? Or ought one really do both?

Chilton
05-30-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi,

I generally prefer they go through the bug system first. However, if it's the weekend, and something suddenly started crashing, and you want to know why, emailing me the crash log directly will usually get a somewhat immediate response.

Note: I'm not trying to circumvent our normal procedure here, just trying to give our Mac users a little help where I can. I'm not a PC programmer, so I'm afraid PC crash logs won't get the same response.

-Chilton

Darth Mole
06-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Is anyone runnning Leopard on a Quad 2.5GHz G5 - any issues? I'm thinking of upgrading the OS, but don't want to break half my apps...

gatz
06-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Is anyone runnning Leopard on a Quad 2.5GHz G5 - any issues? I'm thinking of upgrading the OS, but don't want to break half my apps...

Stick with 10.4.11 on a G5. It will be the last, best access to classic apps you'll have. All of the best features of 10.5 require Intel processors. Step up. 10.6 will force the issue when PPC support goes away.

rg

archijam
06-10-2008, 04:10 AM
Bit sad, that. I was trying to get the original Myst and Dark Seed 1+2 running, no luck.

In the end we will probably need to:
Start in bootcamp.
Load a mac 8/9 emulator.
Load quicktime 2.
Play.

gatz
06-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Bit sad, that. I was trying to get the original Myst and Dark Seed 1+2 running, no luck.

With Myst you could always just open the Hypercard resource and look at the pretty pictures. With Dark Seed I never got past the first beast in the hallway.

rg

Steamthrower
06-10-2008, 10:51 AM
Myst was incredible. The graphics are good enough that you can still play it, 15 years later, and it doesn't feel dated. I think someone built a web-playable version of Myst...I'll have to check up on that.

avkills
06-11-2008, 07:16 AM
All of the best features of 10.5 require Intel processors.

rg

Which features do you mean; I have Leopard running on my Dual G5 and it is actually not doing anymore weirdness (mostly strange OpenGL stuff) since the 10.5.3 update. All my apps seem to behave also. I have not noticed anything that my MacBook Pro can do that the G5 can't.

-mark

Largemedium
06-20-2008, 12:28 AM
I didn't realize that MYST no longer worked. I'll have to pull it out someday and see if I can get it to at least play on my old G4 laptop. It will be a nice trip down memory lane. I have a special fondness for MYST because it was one of the main reasons I bought a Mac so many years ago. I was at a photographer friends studio back in the early 90's and he was showing off his new computer. I wasn't too crazy about computers back in those days because most of my experience up until then was with a PC and DOS. When my friend loaded up MYST, I was instantly hooked. Another thing that sealed the deal for me was when he showed me a little program called Photoshop (before it had layers!). I bought my first Mac the very same weekend. Fast forward to today and I make my living working on a Mac instead of slaving over a hot stove in a restaurant.

rakker16mm
06-20-2008, 01:08 AM
Stick with 10.4.11 on a G5. It will be the last, best access to classic apps you'll have. All of the best features of 10.5 require Intel processors. Step up. 10.6 will force the issue when PPC support goes away.

rg

I will most likely upgrade my G5 to 10.5 but I will keep 10.4.11 on the other drive. Any way there are not that many classic apps that I still need to run.

JeffrySG
06-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Myst was incredible. The graphics are good enough that you can still play it, 15 years later, and it doesn't feel dated. I think someone built a web-playable version of Myst...I'll have to check up on that.
...and it was modeled and rendered all in Strata3d too. :)