PDA

View Full Version : Quadro instead of Geforce, any significant imporvement in using lightwave?

lserlohn
05-26-2008, 04:24 AM
Quadro instead of Geforce, any significant imporvement in using lightwave?

Hi, I have one geforce 8600GT now.I want to upgrade it to a quadro series video card for better performance. However, I searched quite a lot pages, but I haven't found any evidence suggesting there are very significant imporvement when using Quadro series instead of Geforce series.

I do understand Quadro is for graph workstations and geforce is for desktop gamings, but where are the improvements? How can I feel that?

creacon
05-26-2008, 05:37 AM
Hi,

we're using both and you shouldn't buy a quadro for the performance.
For the same money you'll get more performance from a Geforce.

There used to be a difference in quality when you ran benchmark software, like missing pixels in opengl etc, but I haven't seen any of these flaws in the last few years.

The only difference that we're seeing is that the quadros last longer (the fans) when they are used everyday, while the Geforces give up after a year or 2. but after 2 years you can probably replace the card for a fraction of the cost.

Another difference is that the quadro driver will show you presets for the most common 3D software and the geforce will show you game presets.

creacon

Quadro instead of Geforce, any significant imporvement in using lightwave?

Hi, I have one geforce 8600GT now.I want to upgrade it to a quadro series video card for better performance. However, I searched quite a lot pages, but I haven't found any evidence suggesting there are very significant imporvement when using Quadro series instead of Geforce series.

I do understand Quadro is for graph workstations and geforce is for desktop gamings, but where are the improvements? How can I feel that?

Ztreem
05-26-2008, 06:17 AM
The only difference that we're seeing is that the quadros last longer (the fans) when they are used everyday, while the Geforces give up after a year or 2. but after 2 years you can probably replace the card for a fraction of the cost.

That's why you should have water-cooling.:D

With a Quadro card you will not notice a very big difference in performance, but you will notice a big difference in your wallet. :thumbsup:

Red_Oddity
05-26-2008, 07:22 AM
I run a 8800GTX softmodded to a Quadro 4600, this way i can use proper OpenGL drivers in Maya (so no more overlay bugs, which can be prevented by turning on AA, but that makes LW BSOD XP64) and run LW without a problem.
Good enough performance and a tenth of the cost.

mattclary
05-26-2008, 08:01 AM
That's why you should have water-cooling.:D

I would rather take my chances with a fan going bad after two years than having a water cooler go bad.

Ztreem
05-26-2008, 08:13 AM
I've never had any HDD, fan, or watercooling sytem gone bad on any of my computers. They usually rest during the night though.
I don't like the noise of fans so I use Zalman's fanless watercooling system, I like silence.

mattclary
05-26-2008, 08:58 AM
I've never had any HDD, fan, or watercooling sytem gone bad on any of my computers. They usually rest during the night though.
I don't like the noise of fans so I use Zalman's fanless watercooling system, I like silence.

I like silence too, so I use Zalman fans on CPU and GPU.

You might have had good luck so far, but if your luck does run out, you are going to have a SERIOUSLY bad day.

Ztreem
05-26-2008, 09:20 AM
You might have had good luck so far, but if your luck does run out, you are going to have a SERIOUSLY bad day.

I would have the same problem if my fans went bad, so I don't see the big difference. OK, If my water cooling goes bad both my cpu and graphics card goes to the trash. With fans it's more likely that only one fan goes bad and just my cpu or graphicscard will break. I'll live with that, it's so nice to have a noiseless computer without fans so I'll take my chances.
It only need to hold for a year, then the prices has dropped and you can replace the parts with cheaper and better parts. :thumbsup:

zapper1998
05-26-2008, 09:41 AM
Water + Electronics = BAD Hair day

I replace the fans usually once a year, just replaced all 8 fans in the 3D Machine
and it is a quite beast now.
I use to clean em, i do soak the old case cooling fans in W-40 for a few days, then clean em up real good, for if i have a new fan go out. they make good spares..

Michael