PDA

View Full Version : How do you use Dan's Courseware

firecandle
05-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Hi. I'm new here and also to lightwave. I am about to buy Dan Ablan's lightwave 9 signature courseware. this is going to seem a really stupid question but I just want to get the best out of it so..

how do you actually use it? like do you play it and follow allong or do you watch each video and then attempt it. how do you actually incorparate it into actually doing the tutorials?

Thanks (and sorry for the weird question)
Ross

AbnRanger
05-25-2008, 04:42 PM
You'll likely want to watch the videos first, try to replicate what he did...and maybe re-playing certain parts to make sure you're taking the correct steps. It helps to have 2 monitors...or you can just ALT+TAB to switch back and forth on a single monitor.
You'll like Dan's material...he teaches in a very personable way, and gives a lot of tricks/tips that go beyond just teaching the fundamentals.

Cageman
05-25-2008, 04:45 PM
When viewing videotutorials I usually sit down in my livingroom and view it from start to finish, often with a cup of coffie or something. Very relaxed... :)

I then know pretty well which technique is shown in which video, so I can easily load up the vid when I work and look at it again and possibly follow through. For me, often I have very different objects and whatnot, so I have to "translate" what the video is showing into something that fits my particular scene/object. This is something you end up doing when knowing more about LW though. As a beginner, it can be good to actually follow through in order to learn where the tools are and getting familiar with whatever the video is showing.

But, as I said, it is always good to just sit down and view the video from start to finish before touching anything else. :)

Good luck and welcome to this forum! :)

firecandle
05-25-2008, 04:52 PM
thanks for the quick responses! yeah after viewing the preview clips on his website i knew the courseware was a must if i was going to get a basic knoledge of the program. i have my computer and a laptop (my laptop has higher specs) so i will have the videos playing on that and after viewing them once try to follow along.
Thanks,
Ross

King Rygar
05-25-2008, 05:22 PM
I used them a bunch of different ways... I mainly watched them on my computer while I mimicked what he did while pausing the video..

Then again, sometimes I'd have them running while I was going to bed. My theory was to bombard myself with it even while I was asleep! I think it's good to saturate yourself as much as possible, as there is just so much to this program.

I still go back and watch ones I've been through many times, just in case I make pick up on something new or "understand" something a little better than before... :thumbsup:

firecandle
05-25-2008, 05:37 PM
yeah. Ive heard alot about the tips he gives you all through it so i might go through some of the videos after i'm done them and note down anytihng that i would want to remember etc.

jlyon
05-26-2008, 08:19 PM
A continually n00b, I watch them and follow along. I watched them in order, and did each step in parallel using the alt-tab method (well, the apple-tab method, but the same idea really...). Then when I've gone on to my own projects, I know which video has the similar technique when I get stuck or need help. It's worked well so far...

dablan
06-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey guys -
what I usually do with other tutorials that I watch, is open them up in a window on my computer, watch and get a feel for what's going on. Often, I'll just watch, then go back and try the steps. Other times, I'll just work through the steps as I watch the video. It all depends on the training and what I want to accomplish. I would imagine it's the same for some of you watching the 3D Garage course. Visit our forums and ask questions, post your progress, etc. www.danablan.com/blog/forum

Rob79
06-05-2008, 02:08 PM
hi all

welcome to lightwave and to the forum

I'm like Cageman but drink pepsi I then go and follow the tutorials just as shown
As much as I can then I go though it acan but with my own objects

Also make a note book since your new to lightwave I started out this way and was glad I did like a part on weight maps
I write wightmaps @ 5:13 the 5:13 is the Time in on the tutorials or what ever the display says this will help if you forget Something you know right where to go. It does help a lot
If there are specific things that stand out to you its good to write them down to

PS you pick a very good course to start with good luck and enjoy

:thumbsup: