PDA

View Full Version : Browser based game Rumadon requires 3D modellers

Rumadon
05-24-2008, 03:22 AM
Rumadon is an online adventure game completely browser based, running under most computer enviroments and most browsers. Rumadon's engine is currently an isometric pixel art graphics but requires 3D modellers than can do miniature scale but high details 3D models in an isometric perspective to liven up the game.

Features

Realistic ambience effects: Flowing rivers, realistic lighting for times: day, sunset, and night
Battle
Spells - use magic to teleport you to somewhere or give you the upper hand in a difficult fight
crafting - combine different items and materials to come out with different results. Combine magic items to produce better magic stones.
Large variety of items, monsters, spells, and crafting combination for you to play with.

You must have reasonable skill at 3D modelling and be able to produce images reasonably quickly.

Game link:
http://www.rumadon.com/

Ratboy
05-25-2008, 05:40 PM
So is this a paying gig?

Rumadon
05-25-2008, 10:50 PM
Sorry, I am unable to fund paying employees at this time until the game begins to bring in profits. Thanks.

adamredwoods
05-26-2008, 01:33 PM
You must have reasonable skill at 3D modelling and be able to produce images reasonably quickly.

Quality, Time, Money. When you want free work, don't expect quality or timeliness.

If you ask for baseline skills, you must pay baseline compensation. Otherwise, someone is getting ripped off.

Rumadon
05-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Redwoods, this project, although containing no funds at this time, is in some ways an investment of your time. Once the game opens and begins to bring in some profits, the 3D modellers and other members of the team that made it possible will begin to recieve cash in exchange for their work. Thanks,

Daniel.

evenflcw
05-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Cash? I'd rather have turnips instead. Giant turnips!

adamredwoods
05-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Redwoods, this project, although containing no funds at this time, is in some ways an investment of your time.

May I also suggest (and to all who start projects like this), that if you are confident that your project will bear fruit, then you may want to find some monetary investors.

Online gaming is HOT right now, thanks to World of Warcraft. Devise a business plan and your past experience resume and I'm sure you'll find some traction. It will also show your 'time investing' (or turnip investing) artists that you are serious and not scamming.

Good luck!

Steamthrower
05-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Are you prepared to give us a contract to sign that specifically says we will be payed down the road?

What amount of compensation would we be looking at? The standard hourly pay for a 3D artist is quite high.

RollerJesus
05-27-2008, 07:51 AM
So you've registered on rpgwebhosting.com and setup thier login page.
What does that do for me?

How about a website with some information about the game?
What is the storyline?
What engine are you using?
What are the specs of the isometric perspective you're planning on using?
What output are you expecting? (obj, dts, fbx, .x, or a sprite sheet?)
What are you plans on obtaining initial capital for hosting/payroll/testing/etc?
Are you even ready to start soliciting for 3d modelers? (even if you can pay)

You're description sounds like you want to remake Baulder's Gate in a web browser. What's going to set it apart?

Rumadon
05-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Sorry for the late response, I've been very busy with the game's developement, in V3 the game will provide a homepage, more information etc. I've never heard of Baulder's Gate, no I can't provide ANY garuantees that I can pay, I quite possibly won't be able to. But like an investment, you can't garuantee that something will come out of it, but I can provide you the information and let you decide if you are willing to do it or not. I AM NOT WILLING TO SIGN ANY LEGAL BINDING CONTRACTS OR MAKE ANY GARUANTEES. I'm ready for 3D modellers now infact need them now before Version 3 release sometime in June. The isometric perspective I use is the same as taking a straight on top image, rotating 45 degrees, and shrinking half. Any money in is profit with the situation I'm in.
I run RPGWEBHOSTING so my hosting on there is 100% free, with upgrades available. Money will be mainly made by Bought extras in game, although it's free to play. There will be members world, and members bonuses.

grey_matters
05-31-2008, 07:21 AM
I can't provide ANY garuantees that I can pay, I quite possibly won't be able to. But like an investment, you can't garuantee that something will come out of it, but I can provide you the information and let you decide if you are willing to do it or not. I AM NOT WILLING TO SIGN ANY LEGAL BINDING CONTRACTS OR MAKE ANY GARUANTEES.

Well see that's a problem. I think most people somewhat understand about investing their time and efforts up front on a project that has no gaurantee, but with out a contract stating that they will get paid if money is made, you can just keep everything and screw everyone over.

Steamthrower
05-31-2008, 10:56 AM
Rumadon, I can only imagine what you're thinking. So far you haven't gotten anything but negative responses. I'm sure you think, "what a bunch of stuck-up elitists there are on this board."

Well...contracts are a necessity for me. If I am going to do some work, I will either want to sign a contract, an NDA, or similar document. I am going to want to know your full name and your company/personal website or blog. As a freelancer, I will want to know that, even if I am not paid, that I will not be sued for something I didn't do, or didn't know you prohibited. I'll want to know where the game will be used, and the intended audience of the game (I wouldn't want my name on a game with objectionable content in it, whether racist, sexual, or inflammatory).

You've got to see it from our view as well as yours.

Rumadon
05-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Yes, very stuck up (nah kidding kidding). I understand what you mean, I can provide any information neccesary. But I am unable to sign a contract, as, see it from my point of view: I'm 14, I have no available funds on this project, so I don't want to make any promises that could get me into trouble obligating me to do anything, so I'll lay it out nice 'n' simple.
The website will not contain any objectionable content, the goal is a clean, safe, moderated game for players of all ages young to old. I can show proof of my website, contact emails, AIM's MSN's, every bit of contact details needed (except phone, address, or full name, for my own safety reasons). If you'd like you can add me on AIM on xhamsterxdancex and we can talk further, I can answer more questions. Thanks.

jameswillmott
06-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Being 14 you're not legally able to sign a contract anyway. Good luck with your search for people to work on spec for you, not providing your full contact details to anyone who will potentially be helping you make money, won't win you many backers.

Rumadon
06-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Uhh.. thanks I think.

Steamthrower
06-01-2008, 07:44 PM
At least in the United States, the legal age you have to be before forming or signing contracts is 18. Not to dampen your enthusiasm, at all, but you'll probably find help easier in other forums. I will hazard a guess that most of the frequenters of this board are looking for contract work, or at least something high profile to put on their resume. You might give these two a shot: www.devmaster.net and www.anim8or.org

Rumadon
06-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Alright then.

adamredwoods
06-02-2008, 03:20 PM
A note to young entrepreneurs is that big indie games are rarely made alone, and usually you end up losing a lot of money in the beginning. The profits and millions come after the game has been around for a while, and after everyone has been compensated.

This is because its such a big big big chore to make a game.

Because of your age and perhaps past track record of successfully launched games, I would bank that it doesn't get made (how many indie RPG games are out there? Project Offset anyone?)-- But don't frown, no matter how far you get is a learning experience that most people dont have. And you can sell the game's "shell" to another company as well.

Good luck.

Rumadon
06-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I realise that Adam, well I'm currently trying to build a team of freelancers that will work for free, I got a few friends that can help me, RPGWEBHOSTING is supplying me with free full upgrade hosting, I got artists working for free, and they're all doing it just to be on the project, I was hoping I could get the same from 3D, guess not.

3D Kiwi
06-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Been watching this post and untill now i didnt even see you were a Kiwi, so im in.

Not sure how much i could do as i have some other big projects at work and at home, but pm me and we can go from there.

I also have a mate that is learning 3d so he might be keen just for practice.

Rumadon
06-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Oh, happy to hear that 3D kiwi, I've PM'd you.

adamredwoods
06-02-2008, 11:53 PM
I got artists working for free, and they're all doing it just to be on the project, I was hoping I could get the same from 3D

Great! I wish you the best of luck. But just to clarify your original post seemed to be looking for a higher level than beginner, but you were unwilling to pay, or put anything in writing-- which doesn't really make sense as a business.

But good luck to all!

Rumadon
06-03-2008, 12:40 AM
Sorry Adam, I wasn't very clear in my first post.

RollerJesus
06-03-2008, 06:32 AM
I didn't mean to sound negative, just trying to bring a little reality to the offer. Best of luck!

Have you picked an engine yet?

Rumadon
06-03-2008, 06:20 PM
My goal is to make it browser based and run on any computer, so therefore I'm using web based scripting languages such as PHP, JAVASCRIPT, MYSQL, and AJAX, so I will not be using an engine, it will all be pre-rendered.. makes life a little more difficult doesn't it?