PDA

View Full Version : 3D Coat 2.09 released

Philbert
05-24-2008, 12:17 AM
This was actually released a few days ago, but I didn't see a post hear about it so I thought I'd share. There are many new features that help out LightWave users.

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1073

Sekhar
05-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Works great with their built in objects, but I haven't been able to import an external LWO/OBJ created in 9.5 - e.g., a simple block shows up without sides or comes in with curved top/bottom. Could be just that I'm doing something wrong though. A simple sphere imports fine. Also, booleaned objects are completely messed up on import. Plus, ultra high poly objects take forever to load vs. ZB that loads them right away.

Philbert
05-24-2008, 12:16 PM
That's strange, you should post on the 3DC forum, if there's something wrong I'm sure Andrew would like to know about it. I just painted maps for color, spec, and bump for a human head (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32278&d=1210007953) with it that I imported from LW.

It's not really intended for importing high res models because it subdivides everything you import. I think there is an option for no subdivision, but that's really intended for low poly stuff like game models that you just want to paint color and spec on. It works a little differently that ZBrush or Mudbox. You start with a low res model and on import it creates a medium res version, then the rest of the fine detail is created with real-time normal mapping.

As far as booleaned objects, that's probably true, it works best with quads and triangles.

SP00
05-26-2008, 07:14 AM
Got a question. Can anyone give a comparison or point me to a comparison to how this stacks up to Modo's painting and sculpting tool? Seems very similar to modo than zbrush or mudbox as it uses mesh editing for the base and normal mapping for the finer details. Of course Modo is 895 and this is a little over 100.

NAS
05-26-2008, 08:42 AM
It seems way more advanced than Modo to me but i never got that much of a chance to test Modo properly
I do know a few Modo users that use this intead of painting in Modo though

NAS

Philbert
05-26-2008, 11:44 AM
I almost forgot Modo has this feature. I've never used it but I'd say it's likely that any stand-alone app with one specific purpose is going to be better than an app that has that feature tacked on.