PDA

View Full Version : newbie: multigon surface problems

Archigram
07-24-2003, 07:33 AM
When I make multi-sided polys with concave and convex corners-- a cross shape for instance--using either the pen tool or the make poly command I get render problems in which the surface connects protrusions diagonally instead of following the polygon edge. I realize that if you cut the surface into convex quads or triangles you won't have a problem, but I am rendering my edges to get a CAD-like wireshaded look, so I need to preserve the integrity of my multigons. I've tried all the polygon commands, like merge polys, QemLoss (sorry if I got the name wrong, I'm not near my LW computer). Are there any fixes for this problem? Maybe I'm doing something stupid. Thanks for your help.

David Brody

riki
07-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Yeah I've seen it a few times. But does it show up in the render? Worth doing a test.

hrgiger
07-24-2003, 09:31 AM
Can you post a screenshot?

riki
07-24-2003, 10:05 AM
It's a fairly common problem, it happens sometimes when your working with Text.

Archigram
07-24-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks a lot Riki and everyone--I hadn't thought of rendering the problem object. It does render just fine! It's still a bit annoying to have to work with a deformed object since it makes it hard to see what you're doing, but I'll stop complaining.

db

riki
07-24-2003, 05:49 PM
haha yeah I know, it bugs me as well, sometimes I'll split the Multigon, just to get rid of the problem.