PDA

View Full Version : Texture Editor hidding on me....or am I just blind?

Algae998
05-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Man, I hate how I have a ton of posts in this forum haha.

Ok heres the scoop, I have a texture .psd map that needs to be slapped onto my model...but I cannot find the Texture Editor like the Help File shows!
I hit F6 to bring up the Image Editor but the contents file doesnt explain how to get to the Texture Editor.
(UVs, displacement and normals are setup and rockin')

Im tryin to push my bourndaries, but I keep stubbing my toes on these walls :bangwall:

Any help would be great! (Someday Ill be answering other people's questions)

Algae998
05-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Oh yes, I am using V9.0 by the way..if that helps out any.

Giacomo99
05-23-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as the Texture Editor (but then, I've only been using Lightwave for eight years and am continually discovering new features.) There IS the Surface Editor, accessible both from the menu on the left and by the F5 key.

Algae998
05-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Weird. Ill have to poke around in the surface editor some more.

The attached file was copied directly from the help file. Maybe Im missing something.

UnCommonGrafx
05-23-2008, 04:40 PM
bmps are not net friendly.

irenderlw
05-23-2008, 05:21 PM
In the surface editor click the T box to the right of the color channel.

Hopper
05-23-2008, 09:29 PM
They really should just call that the Surface Layer editor.

Algae998
05-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the replys! In the surface editor and next to the color channel, the "T" box is greyed out and I cannot chose a color for the object. Will it work if I go into Edit Nodes in the surface editor and go Add Node>2D Textures>Image, select the .psd or .png and connect the image color channel to the surface's color channel?

I did a test of this with some random .jpg (couldnt find my color map! :mad: ), selected the mapping as the UV map for the object and linked color to color. But on my render there wasnt an image applied. Or do I specificly need the color map that was made for it?

Also I did a test of the random .jpg on a plane using the "T" box next to the color channel in the surface editor (which wasnt greyed out) and it worked...:grumpy:

Giacomo99
05-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Because they relate to Specular or Transparency characteristics, Glossiness and Refraction Index are greyed out if Specular or Transparency is zero.

I've never encountered a situation where the "T" box for Color is greyed out, though. Something might be funky somewhere. You might want load a new basic surface from the Preset Shelf (Windows--Presets panel--Colors, and then double-click to select a color) and start over from there.

You can experiment with Nodes (Google around for tutorials) if you want, but I really wouldn't recommend it to beginners--especially if you're not familiar with the much-simpler normal texturing system.

Algae998
05-24-2008, 08:14 PM
I tried this this method out on another model, which had uvs, displacement and normal maps setup. I took the color map for that model and tried to apply it. For this model, the "T" box next to the color channel in the surface editor was not greyed out. But the "edit image" button was inactive (nothing happened when I hit it). I tried applying it using the nodes method by adding a 2d texture and image node, taking the color channel of the image to the color channel on the model (uv mapping for the model's uv)...the result is the attached image. Very confusing.