PDA

View Full Version : UV Spider for non-uniform segments

ttomw
05-23-2008, 10:41 AM
I am trying to find a good way (tool, plugin, setting) to evenly distribute a tileable UV over a long linear object that has non-uniform lengths of polygon segments.

Spider UV does exactly what I want if the segments are uniform length, but mine are not. This is actually a kerb that curves around corners so the corner areas are close, short segments, but straight areas are longer and fewer.

I know I can do this by manually bending and positioning the segments on the UV Map and then stretching it but it would be so much cleaner to have a UV spider type tool that would neatly stack the polys onto the UV map but maintain their proportional lengths....

Am I making this clear as Mud?

Another approach would be to find a tool that would uniformly chop up the polys like Julienne, but along the uneven curving path of the polys. This would be less desirable though since it uneccessarily increases the poly count...

Thanks

JeffrySG
05-23-2008, 03:02 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but the UV noodle plugins can do some types of alignment, etc.

http://www.aooe58.dsl.pipex.com/htm/frameplugins.shtml

ttomw
05-24-2008, 04:06 PM
D-Storm's UV Road plugin actually does what I am describing...stacks all the poly segments neatly on the UV map, while maintaining the proportional lengths of each segment.

The only challenge with UV Road is it doesn't align each point pair so there is some distortion if you don't do some manual clean up of the point pairs.

It would be wonderful if DStorm or someone tweaked that plugin slightly so it auto aligns all the point pairs on the UV Map...But I'm not complaining UVRoad is a great step in the right direction and I really appreciate that work:)

ttomw
05-25-2008, 12:48 AM
kw_spread6 is very good for this

Ok, I give...where is this kw_spread6? I have done google searches, forum searches here, and at Flay and don't find anything like that name.

Please enlighten me...
Thanks

ttomw
05-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Its listed as KW Spread on Flay.com

can be found here: http://www.mmm.ne.jp/~waken/

Will give it a try. Thanks for the heads up Chunder...:)

ttomw
05-26-2008, 06:12 PM
I tested it and KW_spread6 does exactly what I was describing and hoping for above.

It takes the concept of UVRoad one step further by keeping the point pairs or joints of the lattice aligned while maintaining the proportional lengths of the segments in the UV map.

Thanks again for the tip Chunderburger.