PDA

View Full Version : Overlays should allow ivga also

adebats
05-23-2008, 02:53 AM
I've bought 2 Studios within 2 weeks and we do a lot of sports broadcasting around the world and the tricaster works well as hand luggage.

We'd like to equip all our mobile units with studios but we are coming up with a small problem - our overlay is a 2nd PC with flash graphics and stats so I have to use ivga as the main source with the actual signal behind in the effects row.

I'm losing out on all the transitions and other features by having to do this and my only solution is using another mixer for overlays but I'm then defeating the point of getting it all in one box.

If ivga were allowed as a source (nice space next to vcr1,2 and text) then my problems would be sorted. :help:

SBowie
05-23-2008, 05:22 AM
I'm losing out on all the transitions and other features by having to do this and my only solution is using another mixer for overlays but I'm then defeating the point of getting it all in one box.In the 2.0 software you can select EXT (External) as an Overlay source. Doing so allows iVGA sources as well as LiveText ones to be overlaid.

LiveText, of course, retains alpha when applied in this manner. I don't think there's a way to do that with an ordinary iVGA source though. It would be nice if such sources could use LiveMatte. OTOH, if your external box had an S-video out (as many do), you could connect that way and apply the overlay via the Switcher, with LiveMatte and effects ... bit more complicated though.

adebats
05-29-2008, 03:10 PM
Many thanks for the Reply Steve

I just saw the Broadcast box today with the Ext button nice and proud on screen. My heart leapt I must admit. Hence I came straight here to hopefully await news that the software for broadcast had been downgraded. I've only had 2 studios bought less than a month and already, I'm looking to upgrade :)

I am going back into the office tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I've got the upgrade TriCasterStudioUpdate2_int.zip 325,216Kb but there is only the VDR1,2 and Text buttons there on the overlay.

I sort of assumed that it would use LiveMatte actually but you make a good point there.

I can use svideo from the PC (in fact this was how I pretty much did everything PT - pre-tricaster) but the quality on IVGA is better for me and the way forward.

Whist I have your attention Steve, where on the web can I get good documentation on the details of the tricaster (I'll even buy a book) - I just don't have the time to learn the foibles of the Text Editor for example. I suppose I just need lots of your old tricks.

Cheers

SBowie
05-30-2008, 08:01 AM
I am going back into the office tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I've got the upgrade TriCasterStudioUpdate2_int.zip 325,216Kb but there is only the VDR1,2 and Text buttons there on the overlay.Hmmm - the 2.0 builds I've seen are all consistent in showing "Ext" on overlay - on all models. Perhaps Paul will have some insight.

Whist I have your attention Steve, where on the web can I get good documentation on the details of the tricaster (I'll even buy a book) - I just don't have the time to learn the foibles of the Text Editor for example. I suppose I just need lots of your old tricks.I'm not aware of anything other than the manual (which has been updated quite a bit for 2.0, btw) - not sure if it's available for download somewhere online or not. That said, TC's Edit Text module is not radically different than VT's CG system. You may be able to find useful tips and tricks or tutorials in that context. I'm sorry I don't have more to offer.

Paul Lara
06-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Hmmm - the 2.0 builds I've seen are all consistent in showing "Ext" on overlay - on all models. Perhaps Paul will have some insight.

Yes, the External button is on TriCaster STUDIO and BROADCAST units now shipping.

Paul Lara
06-03-2008, 10:22 AM
...where on the web can I get good documentation on the details of the tricaster (I'll even buy a book)

Cheers

Before you buy a book...download one. :thumbsup:

You can find the newest TriCaster manual HERE (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/TriCaster/TC_Family_4.24.08b.pdf).

adebats
06-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks Paul - will read this.

Does this mean that there will be another upgrade for the EXT button to appear - See my comment earlier showing the filename upgrade I have.

elactv
06-12-2008, 03:14 PM
:help:
Hi, i try to do basic chroma key using 2 cameras.
one shooting the talent other shooting the subject.
do you know the basic set up for that, Not using the live set.?
thank you

Carlos
ELACTV

I've bought 2 Studios within 2 weeks and we do a lot of sports broadcasting around the world and the tricaster works well as hand luggage.

We'd like to equip all our mobile units with studios but we are coming up with a small problem - our overlay is a 2nd PC with flash graphics and stats so I have to use ivga as the main source with the actual signal behind in the effects row.

I'm losing out on all the transitions and other features by having to do this and my only solution is using another mixer for overlays but I'm then defeating the point of getting it all in one box.

If ivga were allowed as a source (nice space next to vcr1,2 and text) then my problems would be sorted. :help: