PDA

View Full Version : Inside Lightwave 7

ctg23
07-24-2003, 07:13 AM
I just recieved my inside lightwave 7 book, and I am starting chapter 4. It is awesome. My question to whoever reads this is who else bought the book and how easy was it for them to learn lightwave. And maybe anything else they may want to add. This is just for my curiousity to see how others did with this book.

riki
07-24-2003, 07:47 AM
Yeah they're great, I've bought the last two editions. I just wish it was a bit more concise, not such a large tome, purely project based and not repeating stuff in the manuals.

I always get to the bit where it tells you to read the manual, I go away and read the manual, then come back (several years later) and find they're going over the same stuff.

By this stage the next edition has been released and the whole cycle starts again. :)

ctg23
07-24-2003, 07:52 AM
Thanks,

Thats is nice to know!!! Are there any other ways of learning that you would recommend?

hrgiger
07-24-2003, 08:08 AM
The desktop series of DVD's and VHS tapes are very helpful but a little on the expensive side. The same guy who wrote the inside lightwave books, Dan Ablan, also has some nice looking courseware at his website. I think it's called 3D garage or something like that. He did have a downloadable section you could see what they were like, it looked extremely helpful. Someone else might be able to help with the link.

riki
07-24-2003, 08:13 AM
I've been meaning to try the video/DVD tuts one of these days. I like the though of sitting back with a beer and just watching it on the telly.

riki
07-24-2003, 08:15 AM
I think it's just 3dgarage.com I've also got some videos/DVD's listed in the link below.

ctg23
07-24-2003, 08:17 AM
I like that idea too. I might get some dvds. Some of the dvd tuts look good in the desktop.

ctg23
07-24-2003, 08:23 AM
Which DVD TUTORIALS ARE GOOD LEARNING!!!

riki
07-24-2003, 08:30 AM
Not too sure since I haven't actually watch any yet. Splinegod has some free video tuts. Actually Userdelta's Spin Quads one is pretty good see: http://www.lightwave3d.com/tutorials/modeling/head/index.html

ctg23
07-24-2003, 08:36 AM
Hey Riki,

I see you in here alot in these threads and you are very helpful to a lot of people. I m gonna keep you in the back of my head, if I have a question.

riki
07-24-2003, 08:48 AM
Thanks ctg23, yeah the forum is a great place to learn and exchange ideas.

ctg23
07-24-2003, 08:50 AM
I agree with you on that one. I havent been here long but the support for this program if fantastic. Everyone is extremely nice. I am addicted to see what is new and how everyone is doing on there projects. It is like one big family in here.

hrgiger
07-24-2003, 09:12 AM
If you want a fast way to pick up on info, there are many, many tutorials on the web. Just look up 'Lightwave tutorials on the web'. That's the actual name of the website. It has many great links to tutorials and it's broken down into sections.

ctg23
07-24-2003, 09:15 AM
Thank you.
I am messing around right now and I created a box and put texture onto it but how do I view the final product into a jpg file?

Any ideas, also i am using a demo of lightwave. I dont know if that will stop me from doing that or not.

riki
07-24-2003, 09:15 AM
I think this is the link you mean http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Newest_Links.htm also take a look at the Lightwave forum at CG talk, a lot of us hang out there as well, you'll start to recognise some of the faces.

riki
07-24-2003, 09:18 AM
The Demo version will add a watermark, just hit F9 for a preview. Also see the Render Options panel to export and press F10 to render an animation. F11 to render just the selected object.

ctg23
07-24-2003, 09:22 AM
I knew about the f9 and f10 render but I dont know what to do once i am in the render options to make it a .jpg file. Can you help me Riki?

badllarma
07-24-2003, 09:39 AM
ctg23
you want to get yourself over to www.3Dbuzz.com they have a full set of VTM's FOR FREE in the downloads section just join the group and go to downloads i think theres about 10 VTM's on Lightwave already.:D

riki
07-24-2003, 09:52 AM
Click on the 'Ouput Files' tab in the Render Options panel and select the 'Save RPG' check box, choose a location to save to and select Type 'LW_Jpg' then when you hit F10 it will render it out for you.

ctg23
07-24-2003, 11:06 AM
The 3dbuzz is an awesome site!!!!!

Matt
07-24-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by ctg23
The 3dbuzz is an awesome site!!!!!

it is, but, not enough LightWave material though :(

Stranahan
07-24-2003, 12:02 PM
Let me take a small opprotunity to pimp my videos for Class On Demand - the same company that does Dan's videos...

Seriously, my video are quite good if I do say so myself - but if anyone's seen them and wants to back me up, I'd look better.

Check www.classondemand.net for more

ctg23
07-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Do you have dvd tuts for lightwave 7

Stranahan
07-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Yes, and without wanting to sound arrogant - they are really good. They cover topics from an introduction to expressions to stuff on understanding the spreadsheet and a real practical intro to motion designer. They are very clear and fun to watch, so I'm told...

ctg23
07-24-2003, 01:23 PM
Which is the best dvd to start with for beginers?

Stranahan
07-24-2003, 01:30 PM
Really, depends what you are interested in - the expression stuff is good...

ctg23
07-24-2003, 01:31 PM
Thanks Ill check it out

dablan
07-24-2003, 05:51 PM
Glad you guys like my Inside LightWave 7 book. I don't know which part was a re-write of the manual, because as far as I remember, I wrote that stuff from scratch. I'll have to check it.

But, do ease any doubts, Inside LightWave 8 will be significantly improved, much better organization, and not quite as thick. Last book was 1200, we're going about 900 for this one. Tutorials are much coooler. Lots of character stuff. Match moving in LightWave for compositing, particles, bwwhwahahahaa.

And, be sure to check out my video tutorials on the newly renovated www.classondemand.net site, along with Lee's. My coursware is 20 hours on CD - find them at www.3dgarage.com.

But, NewTek has a ton of great stuff right from their website. Start there and get creating.

Dan Ablan
AGA Digital Studos, Inc.
Chicago

richpr
07-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Videos are nice and quick, and if it is your thing to learn this way...

There are hundreds of tutorials out there, easily found through either Flay (http://www.flay.com) or 3D Links (http://www.3dlinks.com) or any of the other sites you see passing here...

As far as communities... Newtek of course, The Lightwave Group (http://www.lwg3d.org) and as mentioned CG Talk.

I personally prefer books over videos, purely from a format and a value for money perspective. I have seen some free tutorials and some are good and some leave out too much details, which is not a good thing for beginners...

Anyway CTG, if you have trouble, keep posting here, there's plenty of people to help you out... (I'm still 6 chapters ahead of you ;))

hrgiger
07-24-2003, 10:18 PM
Not that I'm complaining about the size of the 7 book Dan but I'm glad this new book will be a little smaller. It'll be a little easier to read in the tub. ;)

dablan
07-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Yeah, and it's less stress on the binding.

Dan

hrgiger
07-24-2003, 10:41 PM
Well, surprisingly, with the number of times I've read it, I haven't broken up the spine too bad on Inside LW7. My LW7 manual on the other hand, its' in about 25 pieces. Anybody have the word on the Lightwave 8 manual yet? Is it still one massive tome or is it broken up again like v6? I would prefer the latter, but would be fine with either. I'll just have to go easy on the spine if it's one big massive book.

colkai
07-25-2003, 04:47 AM
hrgiger in the tub, now there's a mental polaroid we can all live without! ;) ;) ;)

riki
07-25-2003, 05:15 AM
Speaking of books it looks like Expose has landed

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=77817

ctg23
07-25-2003, 06:43 AM
Does the book expose have tutorials in it as well?

riki
07-25-2003, 06:48 AM
No I think just pictures.

ctg23
07-25-2003, 06:52 AM
Man there are sooooo many tutorial, videos and books to choose from. I think it is so great that there is so much to get someone started. Just finding out were to start will be the challenge!!!!1:D

riki
07-25-2003, 07:05 AM
There's lots of free tutorials on the web which is great. But the good thing about buying a book is that your getting a structured overview.

ctg23
07-25-2003, 07:07 AM
What books have you purchased Riki? You dont have to tell me all of them if there is alot, just the most recent ones.

riki
07-25-2003, 07:21 AM
My last three books were

Inside Lightwave 7
by Dan Ablan

Digital Texturing & Painting
by Owen Demers

Digital Lighting & Rendering
by Jeremy Birn, George Maestri (Editor)

riki
07-25-2003, 07:25 AM
I haven't even opened the Digital Lighting book yet, it went straight into the closet with a big pile of other books.

The good thing about the texturing book is that it's concepts are universal and therefore it actually remains relevant for longer.

So typically I'll buy a book like Actionscripting for Flash and I'll only make it half way through. Then by the time I pick it up again it will be time to update.

ctg23
07-25-2003, 07:56 AM
Sounds like you have a plan!! If you treat your books like your beer you'd probably finish them off in a few hours!!!!:D

riki
07-25-2003, 08:04 AM
haha sounds good, just not enough hours on the day for LW.

ctg23
07-25-2003, 08:11 AM
I agree!! It hard to fit in a busy schedule.

dablan
07-25-2003, 09:51 AM
riki,

good choice on books :)

Actually, the [digital] series from New Riders is a great universal approach to common issues with 3D graphics. I was tech editor on Jeremy's Digital Lighting. And last year, I did a book for that same series, Digital Cinematography & Directing. Too many animators jump into lighting and textures, which is great, but they completely forget about the art of the camera. That's what this book is about.

Cheers,
Dan Ablan
AGA Digital Studios, Inc.
Chicago

ctg23
07-25-2003, 09:55 AM
I will have to look into getting those books, my birthday is coming up maybe just maybe I can talk the wife into buying me one......

riki
07-25-2003, 10:03 AM
Yeah the 'Digital Cinematography & Directing' one is definately on my wish list. My last Gf did her doctorate in Film Theory, mainly on German Cinema, so from her I picked up an appreciation of the art and psychology behind certain camera techniques, which is obviously a profession just in itself.

thekho
07-26-2003, 12:44 PM
Hi Dan

I didn't know you are in the forums.

I really want to say i love your books (Inside Lightwave 3D and 7 which i got it). You inspired me.

I'm deaf. When i started to learn about Lightwave 5.6 with a manual for my first time was about 5 years ago. I didn't like the manual, it has lots of diffcults words which i didn't understand and it was really diffcult for me, because i was young and i was not very good at English. My first language is British Sign Language and second language is English.
I brought your inside Lightwave 3D book. It has really helped me to learn about Lightwave 5.6 quickly and is better than the manual :) .

Now I'm pretty good at English, so i can understand the manual but that didn't stop me, i brought your Inside Lightwave 7 last year and i love it. Your Inside Lightwave7 has lots of pictures with steps by steps and words which were really important and helpful, and good for me as well as deaf people.

Anyway, I'll looking forward to your new inside lightwave 8. You ROCK!:)

Best Regards

Keddy

dablan
07-26-2003, 12:52 PM
Keddy!
Thanks much. I'm glad the books helped.

Well, I appreciate any comments or suggestions, and all I can say is, Inside LightWave 8 will be tremendously better than 7 or 6. Much better formating, much better for beginners, and cooler tutorials.

Keep on wavin'

Dan

lone
07-26-2003, 04:43 PM
INSIDE 7 definitely helped me out, and the stuff it does repeat from the manual is alot easier to understand than it is in the manual itself.

ctg23
07-28-2003, 07:45 AM
Im starting to get further in my book and it is more and more interesting. I am starting on chapter 5 now. Cant wait to do the skyscrapers(chapter 8)

richpr
07-29-2003, 02:31 AM
I have the 3 New Riders books [Digital] as well and they are beautiful books... and of course very helpful, but in a deeper, more general way... They give a lot of insight I find...

I have read 2 out of 3. The two on texturing and lighting have helped enormously... I read the first couple of chapters on Cinematography as well and then, started Inside Lightwave 7, since I wanted the modelling/layout skills and had this urge to create after too much reading... ;)

I am now 40 pages into modelling my own head (chapter 10) and I am wondering how many people have worked through the whole book from start to finish...?

BTW this approach to modeling a head is simply amazing... The problem is that I can tweak for hours and just love it... ;)

ctg23
07-29-2003, 06:03 AM
Hey Richpr are you still doing a self portrait of yourself, if you are how it is coming along.... maybe you can give us some screen shots of your progress...

dablan
07-29-2003, 08:14 AM
Rich
glad you like the tutorials. Surprisingly, I've heard from a lot of people that don't intend to go through the whole book - just bits and pieces as needed. But then they find that it's pretty easy reading, and before yoy know it - you're moving from chapter to chapter.

ctg23
07-29-2003, 08:29 AM
Hey Dan

I am a beginner so I HAVE to go through the whole book. So far I am liking every bit of it up to chapter 5. Very cool, and easy to learn. I love that you take baby steps for people like myself so that it is easier to learn.

dablan
07-29-2003, 08:38 AM
ctg,
thanks.

If you think Inside 7 is easy to use, wait until Inside 8.
I'm refocusing the entire book.
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, it'll get you going right from chapter one. Imagine that by chapter 2, you would have already modeled, textured, lit, composited, and rendered a scene. Yep. All in 1 chapter while understanding what you're doing.

Then, as you move through the rest of the book, you'll learn through projects what all the cool new features of LW 8 are.

ctg23
07-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Im sure youve probably heard this a thousand times but I must not be paying attention to all the forums, but when does lightwave 8 book come out?

Matt
07-29-2003, 08:52 AM
Dan

Will it cover any advanced topics, like photorealism, advanced modelling techniques etc?

Cheers
Matt

richpr
07-29-2003, 10:30 AM
@ctg Check the WIP link for the current state of the head...

ctg23
07-29-2003, 11:03 AM
That is some awesome stuff!!! I like the other project you are working on as well, it reminds me of Nasa. Keep the updates coming!!!!!

dablan
07-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Matt -
yeah, photorealism with HDRI, bipedal stuff, quadroped stuff...

Yep>

richpr
08-02-2003, 10:59 PM
While waiting for a render to finish these last two days, I read the 220 page [Digital] Cinematography & Directing, also by Dan...

A great book and a pleasure to read! It provides a LOT of background on lots of things around "setting up your scenes/movies" in a great way. It raises a lot of questions too, since a lot of things are touched on briefly without getting too technical. However plenty of references are given to investigate...

It is also a great book in that gives you loads of ideas resulting from the "tried/traditional" movie techniques discussed, which is a rich food for thought and spawns loads of future projects...

Loads of nice pictures too and recognizable from Inside Lightwave 7... Of course all the screenshots of how to do something with 3D software compared to a real-life movie director situation, are Lightwave too ;)

Not a long read, but loads of stuff to ponder on and revisit...

PS All that is left is a New Riders' [Digital] Modeling and Sculpting... Which would be a very nice 4th book to the series... ;)

nuclearchutney
08-03-2003, 03:49 AM
Hey Dan,
I take it you are workin on a LW8 book as well to coincide with the L8 release right? right? ;)

richpr
08-03-2003, 09:10 AM
See previous page... LW X/8...

badllarma
08-03-2003, 09:16 AM
DOH well I wasn't going to bother with Inside Lightwave 8 (already have 6 and 7) but once again sound like it's going to be a good investmant. And my birthday is around release date so I'll have to start hiniting to the girl friend:D

richpr
08-03-2003, 09:19 AM
New Riders has another one listed as well for release around mid-Oct.: Lightwave X Killer Tips or so...

See here (http://www.newriders.com/books/product.asp?st={BC0D20F2-19F8-4EB8-8E66-26B57DCE47E8}&session_id={ED7519C1-39ED-4588-AE99-E96605ED9E45}&product_id={F9D4C876-4FF7-4384-8F40-A71D08C763C4})

http://www.newriders.com/content/images/0735713715/0735713715.jpg

dablan
08-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Yes - two new LightWave 8 books in the works.
Both covers will be updated soon.

Inside LightWave 8 is brand new, more tutorials, better examples, better formatting, lots and lots on the CD, etc.
Full integration of the new 8 tools into the projects throughout the book.

LightWave 8 Killer Tips is being co-authored with Randy Sharp from Digital Domain. We're already well into this book. This will be out first, then the Inside 8 book.

Even if you have 6 and 7 for LightWave, if you upgrade to 8, you'll want the new Inside book. As I mentioned in earlier posts, all of the tutorials are brand new, and cooler.

Thanks all.

badllarma
08-03-2003, 11:19 AM
Ok I'm going to be a little selffish here so sorry folks and this mainly aimed for Dan but can we please have a a tutorial on photorealistic texturing for landscapes!

Now I've read all the online tuts and even Dans Lightwave 6 book touches on it with the school house tut and also Lightwave Applied does a tutorial on it.

BUT all these look sod all really like terrain in the UK. At present the nearest thing that I've found looks like photorealitic landscape and I mean phtotorealistic is Terragen!

In fact work I've done in this you cannot really tell the difference at all but to try and do the same thing in Lightwave you need a zillion layers and it still look bugger all like the quality of Terragen.
In fact i have emailed the makers of Terragen to see if the LWO export can actually include a texture export but they say the file sizes would be prohibative so if this was included in any book it would be a great plus point!

for me anyway:D

richpr
08-03-2003, 11:26 AM
There was/is a thread for a huge landscape tutorial (now in beta I believe) over at lwg3d.org (http://www.lwg3d.org)

It's here (http://www.lwg3d.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13976) actually.

badllarma
08-03-2003, 11:40 AM
Cheers richpr
i'll have a good look :)

dablan
08-03-2003, 12:10 PM
Thanks -
I'll see about adding this. However, we have a cool terrain tutorial in the 3D Garage advanced courseware (coming out soon) - this is a full landscape with a waterfall, trees, birds, etc.

Thanks,

ghopper
08-03-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by dablan
Thanks -
I'll see about adding this. However, we have a cool terrain tutorial in the 3D Garage advanced courseware (coming out soon) - this is a full landscape with a waterfall, trees, birds, etc.

Thanks,

Dan, can you tell us what the advanced course will cover ? I couldn't find a TOC on your site. And how long is the special offer valid for ?

dablan
08-03-2003, 09:35 PM
I don't want to put up a full TOC until it's totally complete. That leads to too many problems.

However, I can tell you this -
The advanced course is fully project based. We will assume that you understand LightWave well, and know your way around both Modeler and Layout. There is just a few projects within the course. One project shows you how to create a complete landscape/waterfall scene. Add proper skies, correct lighting, vegetation, and even flocks of birds. UV Mapping will be used in many areas, and we'll cover bones and skelegons, as well as more advanced texturing. There will be another full project taking you through more complex modeling, then texturing, then lighting for photoreal product shots. You'll be able to use these techniques for anything you wish.

SIGGRAPH pricing will end this week.
Advanced pre-release pricing ends when we release the new
course in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your interest.

Hope that helps!

SplineGod
08-04-2003, 12:23 PM
Hey ctg23, Youre more then welcome.
I have some free tutorials and rigs on my site at well, over an hour of stuff. Theyre in quicktime format and easy to follow.

SplineGod
08-04-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Baloney Pony
After seeing your Siggraph presentation(s) I'll pass.
-Da' Pony
Thats too bad. Apparently others felt differently.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=748891#post748891

LWD
08-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Anybody that has doubts should really consider Dan's stuff. The books are great and even an old grizzled veteran like me has 'em.
They'd be worth the price if all you got was the head tutorial alone.

-----------------------------
Dave Adams
I, Robot/Digital Domain

Original1
08-04-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by LWD
Anybody that has doubts should really consider Dan's stuff. The books are great and even an old grizzled veteran like me has 'em.
They'd be worth the price if all you got was the head tutorial alone.

Dave Adams
I, Robot/Digital Domain

I have everything Dan has ever written, the only one I felt was a little light was Lightwave 6.5 magic, ( which was a colaboration which I think Dan edited) but I read it straight after having read inside Lightwave 6, and Maybe expected a bit more, with a lot more practice under my belt I could probably go back to it tomorrow and have some technique I missed hit me right between the eyes.

for those of you cussing out Spline God just bear in mind that theres over an hours free stuff on his site, which is accesscible now. If Dan has an issue with Larry posting in the middle of a thread about his books then I am sure he will take it up discreetly himself. However I think both of them are big enough not to even give it a thought.

Lightwavers have always been a community that have helped each over out, there seems to be far too much contention on the forums lately

Baloney Pony
08-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
Thats too bad. Apparently others felt differently.
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=748891#post748891

OK. I stand corrected. Two people got something out of it.

-Da' Pony

cgolchert
08-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Original1 theres over an hours free stuff on his site, which is accesscible now.

http://www.3dgarage.com/downloads.htm

LWD
08-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Original1
I have everything Dan has ever written, the only one I felt was a little light was Lightwave 6.5 magic, ( which was a colaboration which I think Dan edited) but I read it straight after having read inside Lightwave 6, and Maybe expected a bit more, with a lot more practice under my belt I could probably go back to it tomorrow and have some technique I missed hit me right between the eyes.

I really dug the Twister particle tute and some of the stuff that laid out what the real issues were with LW's DoF (and what the magic numbers are to get it to work). When I look at books like that one they give me inspiration to pick up things I already know and revisit them in a new way. Also, I think in each one of his books I come across a few things I didn't know. Either way, I think the Magic book was a jumpstarter to get people to develop other techniques based on what's discussed there. A springboard book.

-------------------------------
Dave Adams
I, Robot/Digital Domain
-------------------------------

dablan
08-04-2003, 02:09 PM
Hey, thanks Dave!

That book could have been much better too. I unfortunately only got to work on about half of the tutorials. Many of our contributors dropped out of site. Needless to say, we were able to put in some cool and effective tutorials. It's not our best LightWave book - but the New Riders LightWave books are still the best selling across the globe. I'm happy to be working with them.

Thanks again.

ctg23
08-04-2003, 02:15 PM
After inside lightwave 7 I plan to purchase the Cinematography & Directing, and the other digital book by Dan. I just keep on learning more and more each day with lightwave 7 book, so I am sure that the other books will help too.

dablan
08-04-2003, 02:18 PM
Thanks -

New Riders has a Digital Compositing book in the works too. This will follow the [digital] series format. I'm not sure when it's coming out, there were a few snags with it - but it's coming. And, there's talk about a [digital] modeling book too.

ctg23
08-04-2003, 02:24 PM
That is great to hear, I cant wait for the modeling book to come out, God knows I can use some modeling help.

CoryC
08-04-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by ctg23
After inside lightwave 7 I plan to purchase the Cinematography & Directing, and the other digital book by Dan. I just keep on learning more and more each day with lightwave 7 book, so I am sure that the other books will help too.

It is a great book. Definitely worth getting and it covers some of the more forgotten areas of 3D work.

I have the Digital Compositing book on pre-order. I with they would release it already. Dan, put some pressure on them. They will jump if you tell them too :D

dablan
08-04-2003, 04:45 PM
Hehe. Thanks.
I know that their working on it. Scott had some problems, a move, and now they're working to finish it up.

Original1
08-05-2003, 03:08 AM
I think my point was that I personally didn't get as much out of Lightwave magic as I did out of the others.

So what? you win some you lose some.

Digital Composting, Well Dan I will be looking forward to that one, I already have the rest of that series as well as Ron Brinkmans book I love that whole New riders digital series since it trys to be none application specific.

I hadn't seen Keyframe Magazine in a while Dan, Is it still going?
I'll been geting NewtekPro but they seem to have hit the buffers temporarialy.

dablan
08-05-2003, 07:12 AM
Yeah Keyframe is still going. I'm now the Editor, and we've already made changes. Lee did a great job up to this point, but now we're moving it into a new direction.

There's a new issue out (it was at SIGGRAPH) covering new tutorials and programs - reviews, etc. Upcoming issues will have more hollywood effects done with LightWave.

sadkkf
08-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Dan--

I love the new look for Keyframe. Very easy to read. There is usually something in every issue I can use, too. Still, I'd love to see more tutorials. Perhaps some tutes on LW tools: How to use bandsaw in modeler or cool particle effects in layout.

Just a thought!

dablan
08-05-2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks -

don't worry. Much more to come.

KOlson
08-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Hey Dan, is the current issue #34 or is it still at #33?

pixeltek
08-05-2003, 11:39 PM
Since I got my copy at Siggraph, I can verify that the newest one is #34. I just bought #33 at B&N, and 34, the one from Siggraph, should hit the stores very shortly. I see why you are confused. I just looked. and they have not yet updated their website http://www.keyframemag.com/ which still announces issue 33.

dablan
08-06-2003, 12:34 PM
Fixin' a few things in the mag, then the website.
One thing at a time :)

Cheers,

KOlson
08-06-2003, 08:23 PM
No rush Dan.. looking forward to the next issue in my mailbox :)

pblacklock
08-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Guess i might as well renew my subscription, just noticed it ran out with issue #33.

has your copy 34 already shipped to Canada if yes where can i buy it in stores here while my new subs takes effect?

Paul

dablan
08-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Should be in Barnes and Nobles this week

pblacklock
08-06-2003, 09:25 PM
we have chapters and independent magazine retailers here. no b&n. but i just checked with my favorite mag retailer and he hasn't received his copies yet so i imagine within early next week it should be here as well and i'll pick it up while my subs mailing is back up and running.

will you guys ever attach a resource dvd like the british magazine like digit and others or because of cost, would never be implemented here in north america.

keep up the good work!

Paul

dablan
08-06-2003, 09:38 PM
Thanks Paul,
we've talked about it, but right now, it's just too costly. I hardly make anything on it, as do the writers. In order to keep it completely tutorial driven, which is unlike most magazines, the cost unfortunately remains higher.

But, I do intend at some point to start adding monthly content to the website.

pblacklock
08-06-2003, 10:08 PM
no problem, i totally understand. need to increase your subscribers base to a reasonable amount to support the associated cost with more expenses.

what if to further expand lightwave user base by incorporating video and graphic composition programs such as fusion or AE, photoshop and in depth stories of existing TD of special effect houses, narrowing in on other fields that complement lightwave, i know you did lots of commercial for various clients, that would be interesting to find out how-to and approaches of various projects.
a quick survey would definitely tell what people want and need, i know with the fusion dfx deal, people will want to learn more about their new tool.

looking forward to the on line resources,

Paul

dablan
08-06-2003, 11:33 PM
Uh, well - now that you mention it, coverage of those applications and others is already in the works.

Original1
08-07-2003, 12:38 AM
Dan does anyone still hold or stock the mag in the UK?

pblacklock
08-07-2003, 05:20 AM
That's great news. Let's hope new Advertisers will join in. We all want you guys to be around for a long time and nothing wrong for you and your writers to make some decent money too. :D

here is a technical question that you might be able to answer for us.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=61443#post61443

later,
Paul

dablan
08-07-2003, 09:56 AM
UK? Not sure.
Send a note to Charles the publisher at:
Charles Edgin [email protected]