PDA

View Full Version : VUE Xstream 6.5 and LW9.5

guardonduty
05-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Does Vue6.5 Xtream work with LW 9.5. Would really like to know before I purchase Xstream

Phil
05-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Ask in the OB area - no-one can tell you due to NDA for the beta of LW.

lwaddict
07-07-2008, 12:01 PM
I wouldn't purchase XStream until I've SEEN it work.

Vue's great for pulling layers to bring into post but this end-all solution they've been toting hasn't exactly been working out for anyone. Not like they said it would.

They're even toting ILM as using it...but they won't dare ask just how. There's an interview with an effects guy on their site that so much as says he just pulls layers and fixes it all in post. I think it was for that "Spiderwick" flick...

Here's a quote, "Well, if I had to render the complete shot frame-by-frame and to keep everything in 3D, I would have needed to compromise on a lot of things. So I used a trick we use a lot, as 3ds Max has a way to render in slices by limiting the camera clipping planes. Each plane is a render of 3D stuff used as a textured 2D plane, with an alpha map applied.

The whole shot is more 2.5D than true 3D. So all I needed was a set of high quality still images and thanks to this technique I did not have to compromise on any of the important subtlety."

Which is to say, roughly, we pulled stills and image mapped them onto new objects in Max (or in our case, Lightwave). Same thing.

You might want to seriously look at just getting "Infinite", which is on a sweet sale at www.sharbor.com right now.

Andyjaggy
07-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Yeah from what I could tell from the ILM stuff it was never true 3D, it was rendering out stuff and putting it on planes etc.....

3dworks
07-10-2008, 12:33 PM
guardonduty, have a look at the user forum at eon's site - there are a few posts about this topic over there ;)

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/support/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=1404

markus

lwaddict
07-10-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't think he can unless he's already bought the damned thing.

That's a great trick too...
"User Forums" to help you.
Then you buy it.
Then you go to the user forums to hear that you shouldn't have bought it.

Ouch. :twak:

Sekhar
07-10-2008, 02:24 PM
Guardonduty, do a search on these forums for xStream - you'll find a range of opinions/experiences that should in your decision. The summary from all those (the way I read them) would be that there's nothing like xStream when it works, but there are a whole bunch of issues you have to deal with. Yes, get on the beta threads for info specific to interaction with LW 9.5, but my experiences with LW 9.3 generally apply for 9.5 as well, at least for the 64 bit version.

3dworks
07-10-2008, 02:24 PM
I don't think he can unless he's already bought the damned thing.

That's a great trick too...
"User Forums" to help you.
Then you buy it.
Then you go to the user forums to hear that you shouldn't have bought it.

Ouch. :twak:

are you sure he has to buy it? afaik everyone can register the forums...

Guardonduty, do a search on these forums for xStream - you'll find a range of opinions/experiences that should in your decision. The summary from all those (the way I read them) would be that there's nothing like xStream when it works, but there are a whole bunch of issues you have to deal with. Yes, get on the beta threads for info specific to interaction with LW 9.5, but my experiences with LW 9.3 generally apply for 9.5 as well, at least for the 64 bit version.

that's pretty up to the point ;)

summarizing the posts at eon's forum: it does work for some, it doesn't for others...

markus

Andyjaggy
07-10-2008, 02:44 PM
I never found much info on the e-on forums, the biggest source of info I've found has been at cornucopia.

lwaddict
07-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Try going into the E-On forum without purchasing first.

Not happening.

Why?

Because it's the location of the longest list of why you shouldn't but the package, at least not the Xstream version.

I'm waiting until I see someone managing to actually animate with it. That'd be sweet. If it did half of what it promises, I'd gladly purchase two copies.

Andyjaggy
08-24-2008, 09:53 AM
Has anyone found any trickery to get Xstream working with 9.5. I normally don't bother with Xstream but I have a certain project I need the LW objects to reflect the vegetation so I need it. Might just have to boot into 9.3

3dworks
09-18-2008, 03:40 PM
just a short update: vue xstream 6.6 (last patch) here is running with LW 9.5.1 open beta but NOT with 9.5.0 release. this on windows xp64. on mac OSX, there are still severe stability and GUI issues, and lately e-on support confirmed on request that those won't probably be fixed until xstream version 7.

as a side note, it seems to me that render times for the vue embedded scene are much shorter when running xstream together with LW 9.3.1! so, it's about chosing between faster native LW rendering with LW 9.5.1 or faster vue rendering on the older version - depending on the scene.

markus

Andyjaggy
09-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Well that's understandable. They have to look out for their own software, It wouldn't make much sense to continue to support an old version that doesn't work because NT came out with a new version of LW.

Here is hoping that version 7 will be all that and more.