PDA

View Full Version : Decent 24" Monitor?

WShawn
05-22-2008, 01:12 AM
Hi:

We recently upgraded my workstation to a 3 Ghz 8 core Mac Pro, replacing my dual 2.5GHz G5 Power Mac, and I'm looking for a decent 24"-ish monitor. I used two CRT monitors with my G5, a 19" main monitor and a 17" menu monitor, and they're still working okay. We bought a 24" Dell widescreen LCD monitor from Best Buy and have had it for a little under two weeks. It seems like a so-so monitor. There are a couple of issues with it. The bottom part of the screen is noticeably brighter, and I can't really calibrate it as accurately as I'd like. The Mac display calibration tells you to crank up the contrast on the monitor and then turn down the brightness until a grey oval is barely visible. Well, no combination of those adjustments will make that grey oval barely visible; it stands out a lot, so I don't know if the subsequent software adjustments are accurate. I'm wondering if this is an issue with all LCDs since they're backlit.

Any thoughts on good (or decent) 24" LCD monitor? I'm wondering if I'd be better off with two smaller monitors, like a good 20" for color and an adequate 17" for menus.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion Graphics

AbnRanger
05-22-2008, 06:31 AM
Hi:

We recently upgraded my workstation to a 3 Ghz 8 core Mac Pro, replacing my dual 2.5GHz G5 Power Mac, and I'm looking for a decent 24"-ish monitor. I used two CRT monitors with my G5, a 19" main monitor and a 17" menu monitor, and they're still working okay. We bought a 24" Dell widescreen LCD monitor from Best Buy and have had it for a little under two weeks. It seems like a so-so monitor. There are a couple of issues with it. The bottom part of the screen is noticeably brighter, and I can't really calibrate it as accurately as I'd like. The Mac display calibration tells you to crank up the contrast on the monitor and then turn down the brightness until a grey oval is barely visible. Well, no combination of those adjustments will make that grey oval barely visible; it stands out a lot, so I don't know if the subsequent software adjustments are accurate. I'm wondering if this is an issue with all LCDs since they're backlit.

Any thoughts on good (or decent) 24" LCD monitor? I'm wondering if I'd be better off with two smaller monitors, like a good 20" for color and an adequate 17" for menus.

Thanks.

Shawn Marshall
Marshall Arts Motion GraphicsI would take it back and exchange it (I think you have 14 for a full refund, and up to 30days for exchanges) for either another Dell (sounds like a defective one if the bottom half is much brighter) just like it, or try a comparable Samsung model.
It's one of the best selling flat screen monitors going, and for good reason. There was a thread about this some time ago, so you may try a search using "flat screen monitor" for your keywords. Some really liked BenQ as well.

It's really nice having all the extra screen real estate, so I wouldn't step down from your 24"

Jim_C
05-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Dell 24".
Love mine.
Menu is clunky tho.
Rotation option rocks for many apps.
You can get a Dell refurb thru their Outlet with full warranty for $330.

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=28&l=en&lob=MON&MODEL_DESC=ALL&s=dfb

Riff_Masteroff
05-24-2008, 07:36 PM
NEC 2470WNX

Just my opinion: far superior to Dell. Worth every penny of additional cost. Monitors are seriously important hardware. 3d users need adequate ones. Riff uses dual NEC 24" and is quite satisfied.

Riff Masteroff

WShawn
05-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Hi:

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

We did take the Dell back for a refund a few days ago without any hassles. We set up the Mac Pro as my main workstation, but right now I'm limping along with my Sony 19" CRT main monitor and Samsung 17" CRT menu monitor while I research LCDs. Unfortunately, most big box stores cater to more low-end consumer stuff. I read a good review of the LaCie 324, but I don't know if there's any place where I can actually see one before buying it.

Shawn Marshall
Portland, OR

sammael
05-27-2008, 03:21 AM
I thought these samsungs sounded ok for a reasonably priced monitor http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computerperipherals&type=monitor&subtype=lcdmonitor&model_cd=LS24KIEEFV/XSA

Review:
http://www.overclockersonline.net/?page=articles&num=1631&pnum=0