PDA

View Full Version : PNG Sequences - Downside?

devin
05-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi,

Are there any downsides to rendering to a PNG sequence over another format such as TIFF? Due to the compression (though lossless), is there added time to write the files or are there any issues when reading them into compositing apps such as After Effects?

I've just started working remotely w/ our animation department in another city and I'm looking to "trim the fat". File transfers have become a new burden.

Would appreciate any insight.

Thanks,
Devin

Tom Wood
05-21-2008, 05:11 PM
What's the final output going to be in terms of resolution and the image size of the viewed images?

The reason I ask is that I used to use .TGA image sequences, but switched to PNG image sequences when the final output was going to be a small video on the web. There's no discernable difference in the final image at that size.

archijam
05-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Apart from the PNG32, which deals with alphas in a very different way, can't say I have any complaints here .. tho EXR is my mode of choice.

CC Rider
05-21-2008, 07:17 PM
I use PNG sequences all the time with no problems, but just like about anything else in LW, I would guess the results are probably going to be scene dependant.
I would suggest doing a test of a typical scene(if there is a typical one) and see how it works out for you.
The thing is, with a sequence you are likely to have things like motion blur which may mask any artifacts that are produced through compression so it may work just fine for you.
Test is the best way...

Good luck!

:jam:

wongster
05-21-2008, 11:04 PM
.PNG is the only file that i've found to hold its background transparency when importing into flash so thats one upside... only if you're going to be using flash to create web based content though.

adamredwoods
05-22-2008, 12:35 AM
In our department, I would have our remote workers send an ANIMATION quicktime with heavy compression (or a comp'ed Quicktime Sorenson3 for a quick sample) just for review purposes.

Then when we got to a certain point (weekly/biweekly) Fedex a harddrive of sequenced pic shots to the company.

I think some guys uploaded nightly in leu of Fedex' ing.

devin
05-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the insight. I'll give PNG's a whirl.

We typically render out at 800x600 for final output to WMV which are then used in courtroom multimedia presentation systems.

I also spoke to a friend at a LW house and they use PNG's as well so I'm sold.

Thanks again,
Devin