PDA

View Full Version : Text Altering

Videonut
05-21-2008, 01:12 PM
I am a newbie to the Lightwave scene but have been a VT user for many years. I have a simple question but have struggled how to do this. Is there an easy way to take a text such as 2008 and on the number 2, take the top surface and indent it so I can animate the camera inside this indention like traveling down a hallway. I will map photos on the walls of this hallway and make them appear as though they are paintings. My help is with making the hallway and I think that I can figure out the rest.

Be nice to me since I am new because after I see how to do it, I probably will kick myself for how easy it would be. Also, I am currently using LW 8.5.

Gary Heck
05-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Are you wanting to take the camera from the outside of the number and dolly/crane shot it into the interrior of the 2? Why does the number need to be indented?

Videonut
05-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Are you wanting to take the camera from the outside of the number and dolly/crane shot it into the interrior of the 2? Why does the number need to be indented?

I never even thought of that. Actually, your idea would work also. I would envision actually starting down a 4 sided hallway (floor-walls-ceiling) and then the camera would exit the interior of the number 2. I guess that brings up a question, if you take a text letter like the number 2 and place the camera in the interior, is the text a wireframe box with a blank interior or are the grids solid? I am not sure I am asking the question correctly.

Hopper
05-21-2008, 09:27 PM
I would suggest making the "2" like you would a room just like you are saying.

There are a million ways to do it, but I would do it like the following.

Make 2 using the text tool.
Center it (F2)
With all polys selected, copy it to the clipboard.
Paste it, which will put the copy right on top of the original.
Using point normal move (or size), shrink it so you now have an "interior".
Take the smaller 2 and flip all the polys so that the normals are facing the inside.

If you want the whole thing to be one piece instead of 2 seperate objects you can either weld them together, or create a "2" then extrude it, then use Multishift.

Do you want the 2 to be like inside a room or like a "bordered" 2 with a floor with no ceiling?

Hopper
05-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Like this? but with a ceiling?

If so, I just made a "2", extruded it, then used Multishift to inset, then shift down to make a floor. If you wanted a ceiling, you could simply select all top points, then make a double sided poly for the top.

Videonut
05-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I will have to play with your idea a bit to see how it works. I tried the text tool, cut and paste, but I did not get the results when you resize. I am not sure I understand that point.

Hopper
05-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Thanks for the info. I will have to play with your idea a bit to see how it works. I tried the text tool, cut and paste, but I did not get the results when you resize. I am not sure I understand that point.
Nope - you probably did it right. I used both size and point normal move and the walls crossed eachother just as you have already seen on your own. It seems that the Multishift solution works the best.