PDA

View Full Version : I love LW 8 already

Emmanuel
07-24-2003, 05:12 AM
Hi,

can't help, I was pretty happy when NT announced "mainly workflow enhancements" and I was exspecting some rearranged buttons.
Honestly, I doubt that ANYBODY would have exspected real undo in Layout, not after all these years.
But then, NT adds new character setup and animation tools.
Then, they seem to add new dynamics stuff, and also particle stuff IIRC.
And the week isn't over yet and I start to think that instead of the competitions "whoa we are Oscar(tm)-winners with our software, we're ruling with our fluid dynamics !" NewTek just adds features to the list like if they were just mere bugfixes ("Oh, by the way, how about a complete new IK-dynamics-right-clicking-system", "Hey, we found this under some old stack of papers: new rigid and soft body system!")

Whats next ? "Oh, by the way, could anybody use this realtime 3D painting system for Layout ? We developed it but aren't quite sure if its interesting or not..."

Those guys are really quite funny, somehow You gotta love em :)))

lord
07-24-2003, 06:41 AM
Wonder how much work went into implimenting the undo, I'm aware that it's far from easy to acheive if it's not dealt with early on in the development of a software's code.

Hoping that it's a real undo and not just "bit's of layout" can be undone lots.

Then again almost anything is better than the current Undo so I shall quietly be joyful with whatever improvement has been made and graciously thank NT with much gratitude.

[QUOTE]NewTek just adds features to the list like if they were just mere bugfixes ("Oh, by the way, how about a complete new IK-dynamics-right-clicking-system", "Hey, we found this under some old stack of papers: new rigid and soft body system!")

I do love the understated way NT seem to work.

Baited Breath in anticipation of next weeks sigraph preview!

hrgiger
07-24-2003, 08:30 AM
It looks pretty good so far. I know that significant render improvements or significant modeler improvements aren't slated for 8.0 but there will be some minor improvements I'm sure. Not to mention, NT is already mentioning development on the point releases so that's good news.
All I ever wanted to do was character work so it's exciting to see some of the new features. I'm hoping feedback while animating is a little faster in Layout, like faster IK. Sounds like the dynamics stuff will be top shelf.
Also looking forward to the seemingly more agressive stance NT is taking on updates.

badllarma
07-24-2003, 09:33 AM
With you all on this one people really love what i'm seeing or not as the case is:D

all I want to know now is the UK shipping dates so I can book the time off work to learn all the new goodies Lee? Any one? Chuck?

:confused:

riki
07-25-2003, 12:16 AM
Publishing shipping dates is problematic as past experience has shown.

Stranahan
07-25-2003, 12:47 AM
Riki said it...

badllarma
07-25-2003, 12:53 AM
Ok i see you point folks but two points

I hope to god Newtek will be able to take the demand over the net for downloads.
Secondly will there be some sort of lead time or will it just be an email on the day of release?

Oh and one last thing Sooner or later? :D

riki
07-25-2003, 01:30 AM
If you're getting a boxed copy it will also depend on your distributor. I know that New Magic in Oz don't like to release dates.

I think usually for downloads, there's normally a few mirrors.

colkai
07-25-2003, 04:40 AM
Ya can bet Dan Ablan will probably assist - he normally does
(No pressure Dan ;) )

It's all down to who's system can take the beating you just *know* it's gonna get :D

It's a bit wierd, ordering something you're not likely to get for (conservatively) 3 months or so, but deals like these are too sweet to pass up. I just hope my bank manager agrees :p