PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet & inbound connections limit in Windows XP

SCS
05-21-2008, 07:51 AM
Please excuse me, I'm not certain if this post belongs here or in the VT forums... Is there a method to access more than 10 ScreamerNet nodes in VT-5's Lightwave using the LWSN -2 (Lightwave is the host) mode?

MooseDog
05-21-2008, 09:33 AM
xp home is limited to ten network connections, xp pro is not. i'm assuming you have home on your host machine? in which case, you're kinda stuck :(.

jthompson3d
05-21-2008, 10:23 AM
xp home is limited to ten network connections, xp pro is not. (.

Actually XP Home and XP Pro both have a limit on how many connections.
Both are limited to 10 connects because they are not server based OS, i know this from experience but read mircrosoft's website.

Which could be found here: http://http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882/en-us

or you can do your own research, look up inbound connection limit in xp pro
As our company got pass 10 computers we had to end up getting a server with Microsoft Small Bussiness Server 2003, which has no connection limit.

Hope this helps.

SCS
05-21-2008, 01:58 PM
I understand the server approach to work around the 10 users limit, however I am not certain about what components of Lightwave or data need to reside on that server... are there any websites that offer insights?

Thanks

jthompson3d
05-21-2008, 02:25 PM
What we have done at our company is everything for lightwave is on our server beside the actualy program, what I mean by this is this:

All content (Objects, Textures, Renders, cache files, etc.)
Plugins
Configs
EVEYTHING do with lightwave.

All those listed above we have on our server and in Lightwave you can tell it were to point for the default directory by press "D", should bring up your Preferences and the last tab called "Paths". This is were you can set all this. We have a little over 20 machine with Lightwave on 18 of them and all point to the same folders ects, some people we have gone around and set there own location for configs cause not everyone likes the same menu, keystrokes etc.

It makes it pretty easy and also makes it were everything is in one spot. A MUST THING TO DO is keep backups regularly, our server we have back up itself every night on a tape backup, if you don't have one of those atleast backup your stuff on DVD once a week, this protects you incase the server crash or something like that so you have all your information backed up somewhere.

As you might tell, I'm also the IT person up at my work, I manage a lot of the computers up here and make sure everything runs smoothly.

Like I stated above the only thing we have on each machine is the Lightwave program but we make sure no one saves to there local machine so anyone can access files if needed. We work on multiple projects a week so in our case doing it this way works best for us.

Hope this clears some of that up for you.

MooseDog
05-21-2008, 02:25 PM
For Windows XP Professional, the maximum number of other computers that are permitted to simultaneously connect over the network is ten. This limit includes all transports and resource sharing protocols combined. For Windows XP Home Edition, the maximum number of other computers that are permitted to simultaneously connect over the network is five.

good find jthompson3d. thx for the link. clears things up:thumbsup: