PDA

View Full Version : is there a lightwave master in Los Angeles?

patrick99e99
05-21-2008, 12:07 AM
Hello everyone,

I am interested in finding a Lightwave tutor in the LA area who can
help me learn what I need to in order to get a project off the ground. I
have experience with After Effects, but have not used lightwave at all.

Basically, I have been trying to develop a music education DVD series, but
I have now gone through two artists who I've paid basically the majority of my art/graphics budget to, but received minimal completed work
in return! It's been very frustrating, and so I am now at a place where
I am feeling like "If you want something done, you gotta do it
yourself"-- Plus I really don't have the funds now to get my project done unless I do it myself... So I am hoping I can find a highly talented and
knowledgeable person who I can meet with and say "this is what I am
trying to accomplish", and then be steered in the right direction.

If anyone here is a lightwave expert or knows of one who would be willing to help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could email me (mailto:[email protected]).

Thank you very much!

Patrick J. Collins
http://collinatorstudios.com

Surrealist.
05-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Hi Patrick,

Well you just missed the LA user group meeting (http://lwug.virginpi.net/index.aspx) for this month. But that might be a good group to connect up with for you. There is a section for user groups here and you will see posts like this (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84208).

You could get in contact with some people there through one of the group's organizers perhaps.

Other than that, if you have very specific questions and things you need done, you have come to the right place. Many of the best ones peruse this forum. And if you can be very very specific about the effect you want you 'll get plenty of responses with workable solutions. Then I would suggest starting to go through the manual section by section to get the hang of the different features.

patrick99e99
05-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Argh!!!

I can't believe I missed that.. I actually had privately emailed the organzier of that group about this, and she said she was forwarding my request onto someone-- but they never got in touch with me.

Anyway, as far as asking specific questions-- Yeah I feel like I need a basic from the ground-up lesson on what Lightwave's environment is, and how it all works... like why there are separate programs (hub, layout, modeler)...

Why I get a "license key was not found, contact newtek to get a permanent license key (product lock 36293)" when I launch any of the programs, and yet I have emailed newtek's tech support three times over a month and they never reply.

-p

Steamthrower
05-21-2008, 02:42 PM
1. Some of us have the same question. I'm thinking of starting a grassroots effort called Modout, or Layeler.

2. Call them. I've found tech support is incredibly supportive and helpful over the phone...not very responsive over email (unless you email Chilton, he's the demigod).

Surrealist.
05-21-2008, 10:39 PM
Argh!!!

I can't believe I missed that.. I actually had privately emailed the organzier of that group about this, and she said she was forwarding my request onto someone-- but they never got in touch with me.

Anyway, as far as asking specific questions-- Yeah I feel like I need a basic from the ground-up lesson on what Lightwave's environment is, and how it all works... like why there are separate programs (hub, layout, modeler)...

Why I get a "license key was not found, contact newtek to get a permanent license key (product lock 36293)" when I launch any of the programs, and yet I have emailed newtek's tech support three times over a month and they never reply.

-p

OK,

First open Layout and go to Help/Enter Licence key.

Copy your licence key from your Product page in the registration area and paste it into the field. Close lightwave and reopen to get out of discovery mode. If this does not work I can give you instructions on how to manually create this file. And if that does not work then maybe you have a bad key for some reason.

Then go to the downloads page of your Registration area and download the file. LightWave v9.2 WebHelp - PC Platform or mac if you are on a mac.

Install this program and you will have the LightWave manual at your fingertips with the press of F1 in Lightwave. You can use the search function to find answers.

For more recent upgrade info, download the addendum.

Then there is a pretty good reference section on the LightWiki (http://www.lightwiki.com/Lightwave_Reference).

And here is a site for tutorials (http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials%20/Main_Menu.htm).

LightWave is separate because that is the way it was designed originally 17 years ago or so and is likely so stay that way for a while. The hub is a way to make Modeler and Layout talk to each other. So when modeling in Modeler and if you have a the object in layout it will update. There some quirks about that you will learn in time.

It may take getting used to if you are from another program. But basically you model in Modeler and then send it to Layout for Animation and effects. There are many tools in modeler that you use only for what they will set up for you with the object in Layout. You'll learn about those in time as well.

Good luck with your venture.