PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet & inbound connections limit in Windows XP

SCS
05-20-2008, 08:40 PM
Please excuse me, I'm not certain if this post belongs here or in the LightWave forums... Is there a method to access more than 10 ScreamerNet nodes in VT-5's Lightwave using the LWSN -2 (Lightwave is the host) mode?

BeeVee
05-21-2008, 06:30 AM
Windows XP, even the Pro version, limits the total number of concurrent network connections to 10. If you want more you need to set up a Linux server, or get a server version of Windows (for big bucks).

B

SCS
05-21-2008, 07:49 AM
This version of Lightwave is integrated with VT5. The Linux server or Windows server won't run VT5.

I asked Newtek tech support and they had no answer.

BeeVee
05-21-2008, 08:11 AM
And LightWave wouldn't run under Linux either. You set up a Linux server that all the XP machines connect to, that way they won't be directly connecting each other, that way you don't run into the 10 concurrent connections issue.

B

SCS
05-21-2008, 01:55 PM
Ah, so it is possible... thank you.

Do any components of Lightwave or data need to reside on the server? Are there any websites that offer information on how this is configured?

jcupp
05-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Actually a simple technique is to set up the shared folder for screamernet on a NAS drive.

SCS
05-22-2008, 05:00 PM
So, even though the ScreamerNet app is launched on the WinXP computer with Lightwave, the 10 user limit is bypassed because the shared folder is on a NAS drive?

jcupp
05-23-2008, 07:20 AM
Screamernet works by writing a 'job' file for each node to a shared folder. The node reads the job file, loads the scene etc. and starts rendering. When it's done it writes the frame and a status file back to the shared directory so that the master knows it's done. The shared directory is the only "connection" between the computers.

SCS
05-23-2008, 07:43 AM
Thank you for the assistance. So if I set up a Linux server (or a shared folder on a Linux non-server machine?) I need to copy all of the files in the Lightwave folder (programs and data for the project) on the XP machine to the new shared folder and adjust the config files and bat files to point there as well?

Before I go out and get alot of rendering machines I'd like to test my system... is there any way in WinXP to determine the current number of users connected to a shared folder? I'm assuming if I have followed your instructions correctly, the only connected users on the WinXP machine should be WinXP itself and the NAS drive, correct?

jcupp
05-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Yeah, it's pretty simple - just a matter of setting up the content directory on a shared drive, setting the Screamernet working directory to,usually, the same shared drive and letting it rip. Details should be covered in the Lightwave manual.

By using a NAS you avoid the incoming connection limit because you actually have zero incoming connections. All the machines have outgoing connections to the NAS, which probably is running Linux internally. You can buy a 1TB NAS for a few hundred bucks and it's plug and play, unlike setting up your own Linux server.