PDA

View Full Version : Keyframe Creation-Floating Image

Froch
05-19-2008, 10:02 PM
I am a new user, so I apologize for what I'm sure is a questions that may have been asked previously. I did a search, but to no avail. Thanks in advance for your help!
It's important to know that I just received my 3D Arsenal/LW 7.5 , so have about 14 working hours on it. It's also important to know that I am a HACK BUTTON PUSHER....hence, my purchase of Arnsenal with it's pre-made scenes...so, I have that goin' for me :o)

One issue I am having is trying to have an IMAGE rotate thru the frame and stop at various points. I've searched the manual and from what I can see, based on my limited knowledge, I don't see a resolution.
What I am doing is moving the IMAGE and setting a KEYFRAME for it's new position (or allowing LW to insert it with the Auto feature). I want to have the IMAGE stay at that KEYFRAME/POSITION for 1second, so I am moving the slider bar 30frames and then setting a NEW KEYFRAME. Except when I play it back, the image floats between the two last keyframes slightly. Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

The other issue I am having is UNDO.......but I am still doing the research on that. I have not tried hard enough to find that answer yet. I may ask your help again, but want to try and find the answer myself first.

Thanks all!

Surrealist.
05-20-2008, 12:16 AM
To have an image stay at frome 1 for one second, move the slider there and then hit enter. Enter a number for the last frame of your frame rate - 30 as an example and then hit enter.

Move your slider to the next position , say frame 6O and then move the picture to your next location create a keyframe there if auto create is not on.

Then open the graph editor and set the curve Tension of all the animated channels (curves) to 1 for keyframe 30. You can look up how to load up and select the curves as well as keyframes in the graph editor in the manual.

Froch
05-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks Richard
I won't get a chance to try that until Weds. I'll let you know.
Thanks again!

Froch
05-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Still working on this. I could not get this to work on the image that I am moving around the frame, but then had success on a camera move.........so I'm still banging away at it.

Surrealist.
05-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Tell me how you want the image to appear, move etc and where, what frame you want it to happen on and I'll explain in detail how to do it.

Froch
05-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Richard, thanks for taking the time!
Let me say that my purchase of the program 3DArsenal/Lightwave7.5 was not for modeling, but solely as a way to have a 3D environment for text, pictures and video to playback within. 3D Arsenal has some fun “template” scenes, but nothing that seems to fit the below sequence I am trying to create.
One gag would have a fixed camera position, looking out over multiple title and photo/ video images. These images are spread out over a large plane on the X and Z axis?
As the music plays, all the text/images will move SHARPLY on a specified path (that’s my next lesson to research). That path would either be circular or it may have the images move quickly towards the camera. These movements would be very quick, 10-15frames or less.
Using the circular path as an example, the images would spin past the camera. The effect would be similar to if you were standing on a subway platform, and the train went by. The windows being the images flying by (hopefully that gives you a sense of the effect). At certain points, the images would all stop and the image closest to the camera would become the focus, for one or two beats. Then all the images would rotate on the circular path again, and after a couple of beats, would stop again-- displaying another image of importance for the viewer to see.
I can’t thank you enough for taking the time. I sure part of my frustration is that I am new to the program. With that said, can you or anyone recommend any books that would best fit my working with the program. Unfortunately, I don’t have the vocabulary yet, so maybe an “Lightwave for Dummies” level of book?

Surrealist.
05-23-2008, 02:25 PM
Dan Ablans books are pretty good for beginners so if you can find one used maybe. He has some that go back to 7.5 I think. Also look through the tutorials section at www.lightwiki.com You can aslo use google to find many LW tutorials.

But for what you want, for the circular example, I would set the camera at 0,0,0, I would load a null and put it there. I would parent and target all of the polygons to the null.

To set up the polygons for this, create them in the back view with the polygon facing down the positive Z Axis. When you target the polygon to the null it will spin around and face the null. This would also be facing the camera.

Do the same with all the image polygons and then stagger them so they are positioned in a circle and of course from the same distance to the null.

Now when you spin the null all of the images spin. Stop the null and then move the image polygon in toward the camera if that is the effect you want and then pop it back in place and return the null to a spin.

To get a grasp of the graph editor. Just try using it with simple things first. If you do any simple tutorials with animation ion Lightwave the Graph editor will likely be covered. Once you get the idea of how to make your animation crisp using curve tension the things you want to do will be a snap.

I go into it in more detail in this thread here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79077&highlight=tension). And here is another thread that covers it as well (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81018&highlight=tension).

Froch
06-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Richard, just another quick thanks for your help. I've been able to achieve all the effects I needed due to your suggestions. Thanks again!

Surrealist.
06-20-2008, 07:45 AM
No problem. If you can post some results. Love to see it. :)