PDA

View Full Version : Athlon XP 3000+ or P4 3 Ghz?

Joebob
02-22-2003, 08:08 PM
I'll probably need to get a new computer this summer, which chip would be faster at rendering? I won't have an insane amount to spend, so a dual Xeon machine is out of the question.

Elmar Moelzer
02-22-2003, 08:15 PM
I would go for the P4.
LW 7.5 is very well optimized for SSE2 and the speed is very good, even with DDR ram.
I have made no good experiences with Athlons in terms of stability and relyability and I am therefore a bit biased maybe. I am very happy with my P4- systems and their performance with LW.
CU
Elmar

rabid pitbull
02-23-2003, 10:34 AM
i have never had any problems with my atholon. i think people run into trouble if they get the wrong mother board.... course then it doesn't matter which chip you got.

but he is correct that LW is optimised for pentiums.... not sure how much of a difference you would see though?

best to wait and see what is up than, since a few months can make a huge difference when it comes to technology.;)

MarkG
02-23-2003, 01:11 PM
P4 probably. Anandtech has some Lightwave benchmarks, and while the Athlon beats the P4 on one of them, on another it's barely half the speed, and the third it's about 25% slower.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1783&p=27

Though, to be fair, beating the P4 on any Lightwave benchmark is pretty good considering it doesn't have SSE2 and is actually clocked much slower than the P4.

Prosprctor
02-23-2003, 01:16 PM
I also have no problems with any of my Athlons
I do have a P-4 for the VT2 because of the bandwith needed for video but that will change when AMD comes out with the Hammer chips.

If you can hold on till they come out (ya said this summer ya will do upgrading) then jump on one of those.

They will have all the same core codes as the P-4 and as anyone knows, an AMD with the same core code will out pace a P-4 any day of the week and 3 times on Sunday:cool:

MarkG
02-23-2003, 01:18 PM
Well, I _was_ holding out for the Hammer chips, but they've been delayed so often I've just got tired of the wait...

mattclary
02-24-2003, 07:41 AM
My last two PCs have been AMD and I've never had ANY problem with them. If money is no object, get the P4, if you are on a budget, get the AMD. If you go to http://www.blanos.com you can see tons of LightWave benchmarks for yourself. The P4 is top dog right now.

pixelmonk
02-24-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by mattclary
My last two PCs have been AMD and I've never had ANY problem with them. If money is no object, get the P4, if you are on a budget, get the AMD. If you go to http://www.blanos.com you can see tons of LightWave benchmarks for yourself. The P4 is top dog right now.

Actually the P4 is cheaper than an AMD (of a lesser speed). So for price and performance, a P4 would be a good thing to think about.

[pulled from pricewatch.com]
$232 - Athlon XP 2600 (2.1GHZ or around there)
$236 - Pentium 4 2.6GHz
$224 - Xeon 2.4GHz

hrgiger
02-24-2003, 12:25 PM
And doesn't LW support the P4 instead of the AMD as far as optimization? When I recently bought my system, it wasn't really even an issue to consider an Athalon. Too bad the celerons suck so much. I could afford to buy 4 or 5 computers for the price of my one and build myself a little network. ;)

pixelmonk
02-24-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
And doesn't LW support the P4 instead of the AMD as far as optimization? When I recently bought my system, it wasn't really even an issue to consider an Athalon. Too bad the celerons suck so much. I could afford to buy 4 or 5 computers for the price of my one and build myself a little network. ;)

Yeah there's been talk that the P4 runs LW smoother. I just built a 3GHZ PIV and it screams. I used to go all Intel till the Athlons proved themselves. Now Intel is back on top. It may change again. As long as one outperforms the other, that's who I'll go with. ;)

mattclary
02-24-2003, 02:35 PM
Pixelmonk, I haven't checked CPU prices in a while, but I would hazard a guess that Intel has dropped their prices on the 2.6ghz cpu since their 3ghz cpu is out. Normally an xxx+ AMD is cheaper than an XXX mz Intel, where xxx is more or less equal to xxx. I agree with you, if you can get a 2.6 for the same price as 2600+, I say go for it. If you are on a tight budget, however, I would go with the 2100+ for $79.

I think the only difference you will see between (newer) cpus with LW is at render time. Just my opinion.