PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane VFX (Animation+Breakdown) Lightwave, Houdini and Fusion

Netvudu
05-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Hi there. I enjoy making FX animations over stills because itīs that much more of a challenge to make artwork work in motion.
Some people at the odforce forum (Houdini-centric forum) asked me for a little breakdown on the process I followed for my last FX shot, so I made this little video.
I used quite a lot of Lightwave for this one, so it really belongs to this forum.
Hope you like it.

http://usuarios.lycos.es/Netvudu/Images/Hurricane1.jpg

Seems like my old hoster doesnīt like direct linking for big files....sorry guys, wil have to use megaupload till my new webspace is up. My apologies for this cheap solution.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EKUAZHY5

Dodgy
05-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Nice...

erikals
05-20-2008, 01:32 AM
Cool technique, thanks for sharing :)
The result looks Professional too...

Lwmaniac
05-20-2008, 01:49 AM
Yeah thanks for sharing. Never thought about doing something like this with camera projection. Cool

3DGFXStudios
05-25-2008, 12:25 PM
I like these brake downs. It looks realistic! Cool ;)

OOZZEE
05-26-2008, 11:01 AM
how do you view this once you are on the mega upload site.... do you need to register / login ?

monovich
05-26-2008, 01:57 PM
mega upload = confusion.

the animation is great, though!

rakker16mm
05-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Great breakdown and nice video. Any chance you might do a tutorial? :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Netvudu
05-26-2008, 05:22 PM
mega upload = confusion.

the animation is great, though!

Again Iīm sorry for the megaupload thing mono. Iīm on the process of creating a web site for my stuff...not as fun as yours, thatīs for sure :D

Great breakdown and nice video. Any chance you might do a tutorial?

You gotta be kiddinī.This breakdown is far better than any tut where you would have to stand my constant self-praising and even occasional singing of catchy tunes.

rakker16mm
05-26-2008, 05:27 PM
You gotta be kiddinī.This breakdown is far better than any tut where you would have to stand my constant self-praising and even occasional singing of catchy tunes.

LOL :) That's OK. If it is a written tutorial we can just skip or edit those parts out. OTOH who says you don't deserve all that praise you give yourself? Looks to me like you know your stuff.

xes
05-27-2008, 03:59 AM
Great Job! :thumbsup:

Are you can explain the process?

Xes

erikals
05-27-2008, 04:30 AM
xes, as shown in the video, it is just a displacement map with a sattelite photo on top of it, and then adding some hypervoxels here and there.
Pretty simple stuff. Pretty cool result :)

Netvudu
05-27-2008, 07:52 AM
xes, as shown in the video, it is just a displacement map with a sattelite photo on top of it, and then adding some hypervoxels here and there.
Pretty simple stuff. Pretty cool result :)

To add a bit to that explanation, itīs a matte made of several photos...it is otherwise quite tough to find one photo that fits into the displaced terrain.
Also, "on top of it" should be changed by "baked over it", otherwise the matte wonīt follow the deformations.
Finally, it could have been done with HVs, but as you can see it was Houdini volumetrics and sprites..

...but I know that Erikals already knew all that. Heīs just teasing me :yoda: But yes, itīs a simple process.

erikals
05-27-2008, 11:11 AM
:) yep,. and I didn't say it wouldn't be time-consuming ;)

thekho
05-27-2008, 03:58 PM
Cool! It looks so awesome :) Also thanks for interseting tips! :thumbsup:

Derrick_SA
05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
I can't download it unless I install the megaupload toolbar, and I aint gonna do that.

can't you upload to youtube? they do high quality now.

thanks,
Derrick

erikals
05-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Yes you can :)... try again, you might have to wait 50 seconds or so before download starts

silviotoledo
05-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Please put it on youtube :) it's better. I couldn't get it on megaupload .

Netvudu
05-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Ooookeeeeeeey, :stop:

I made this quickie web page so that you can check it on my old host without direct linking. Now you donīt have to suffer Megaupload, just an ugly page.

http://usuarios.lycos.es/Netvudu/JavierRepository.htm

Red_Oddity
05-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Or Vimeo (much much much better quality than YouTube)

Nice shot, and btw, is that the Dig soundtrack?

Derrick_SA
05-29-2008, 01:52 PM
thanks for posting it there,

looks awesome! and the breakdown is uber cool!

- Derrick

Netvudu
05-29-2008, 04:24 PM
Or Vimeo (much much much better quality than YouTube)

Nice shot, and btw, is that the Dig soundtrack?

Indeed. Itīs the Dig Soundtrack. It has a nice mystical edge to it.