PDA

View Full Version : UV Mapping

DHudson
05-19-2008, 09:27 AM
Hello -

I need help .. I understand I need to UV map the wood texture onto these wood moulding profiles I am working on. I am bringing them into Wirefusion so they can be viewed on the web, and I read I need to UV map the textures on.

I have purchased Larry Shultz's UV Texturing in LW 3D DVD, and I am just not getting it. I have uploaded a sample that is just white now- it needs a pine textured wrapped correctly around it.

Is there any help out there for me? hehe ...

thanks so much
DHudson

Titus
05-19-2008, 09:48 AM
If you use the 3D wood procedural texture the don't need UV.

DHudson
05-19-2008, 10:16 AM
Unfortunately, I need to use the client approved wood texture.

adamredwoods
05-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Where are you specifically having trouble?

First step:

Have you created a UVMap in modeler?

Second step:

Have you loaded the image in through image loader?

Third step:

Create your color texture and add the image with UVMap coordinates.

markschum
05-19-2008, 11:49 AM
to map the moulding shown , select view of UV in one of the viewports. select the visible polygons , then go to the mapping tab and select "create map" , fill in the prompts, map type planar, axis , whatever is 90 degrees to the item , i.e if moulding runs along x axis then map axis is z.

You should see one or more boxes appear in the map window.

remember to attach the map in surface editor before exporting as an obj file , or you lose the uv mapping .

SplineGod
05-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Thats pretty much it. I would also use the support forum on KURV to get more direct help:
http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=180

DHudson
05-19-2008, 03:15 PM
Thank you guys for the input- I get a little thrown off at the stage where you are trying to fit the texture to the shape.

SplineGod
05-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Can you post an image of your texture map and UV map?

Philbert
05-24-2008, 12:41 AM
If you're still having trouble with this I'd suggest just making a UV map and then apply a checkerboard texture to it and tweak the map while looking at the checkers in the Perspective view. I'll even attach one that I made recently, the color doesn't matter, I just happen to like blue. Just be sure to set the Texture Resolution high enough in the GL tab of the Display Options and do the same for the Backdrop tab in the viewport where you have the UVs. 2048 should work very well, but you can go higher if your video card will allow it.

DHudson
05-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Thank you Phil- I appreciate that. I gotta wonder how most people learn how to UV map, its seems so daunting a task. I feel like I need a video to watch that was made just for the wood mouldings I am working on to learn how to do this. Man, I sound like a brat. hehe ... I will check over at Kurv Studios like you suggested Larry, thank you.

Sande
05-24-2008, 07:30 AM
UV-mapping may seem a bit difficult first, but once you learn the basic idea it quickly becomes quite easy, although boring task.

The free PLG-plugins (http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm) for UV-mapping should be recommended in every thread about uv-mapping in LightWave, so here you go. :)
"UV Mapping (Unfolding, Unwrapping) Edit Plugin" alone has saved me hundreds of work hours.

evenflcw
05-24-2008, 08:47 AM
DHudson. In order to create anything it usually helps alot to have an idea what you want to end up with. If you atleast understand the concept of UV mapping/projection (, which you should after watching a commercial dvd,) could you tell us how you want the uv map to look (draw an image in paint or whatever)? From there we will be able to see if you have understood the concept, whether your wishes are even possible and advisable, and suggests what tool to use. Personally I think UVSpider would do well here. The PLG plugin would do well too if you place the seams properly (really only one way to place them to get distortion free uv map).

JeffrySG
05-24-2008, 09:38 AM
Thank you Phil- I appreciate that. I gotta wonder how most people learn how to UV map, its seems so daunting a task. I feel like I need a video to watch that was made just for the wood mouldings I am working on to learn how to do this. Man, I sound like a brat. hehe ... I will check over at Kurv Studios like you suggested Larry, thank you.

Also, Essential Lightwave is a great resource, and it comes with 14 hours of training videos. Some are on texturing as well....

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-LightWave-v9-Fastest-Easiest/dp/1598220241/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211643463&sr=8-1

Some free videos from the book...
http://www.stevewarner.com/html/uv_unwrapping.html

SplineGod
05-24-2008, 05:24 PM
The underlying concept of UV mapping is actually pretty simple. In practice its usually pretty tedious simply because anything that gives you point level control will be. Theres all kinds of free and commericial plugins that can help such as PLG, Roadkill etc.

DHudson
05-28-2008, 10:43 AM
Thank you guys- I appreciate all the help. As always, I couldn't get through a project without you.

I think I am getting this - but there is still something I am doing wrong. I have an MDF and a white texture on each wood moulding profile. In Modeler, I used Atlas on the UV map for each UV texture. I applied the UV map with the correct texture for each. So far looks good. I bring it into Lightwave and I need to use Surface Baker because I am bringing the mouldings into Wirefusion for web viewing. All the little lines that connect the polygons show up in a strange way.

I've attached 3 images. One shows you how it should look. The next image shows you what the baked texture looks like. The third pic has the baked image applied.

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong?
Again, thank you so much.

Iain
05-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Looks like errors on the uv map itself.
After creating the map, you can view it by changing the modeler viewport to uv.
Any lines going diagonally like in your second picture can be selected and deleted like polygons.

As an aside, why are you using uvs here? Is it for practice? Planar or cubic would appear to be all you need from looking at the object.

DHudson
05-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Thank you for the info- I will work on the UV "polys".

I have been told that I need to have a UV texture so I can bake the lighting onto the profile. I am using Wirefusion to bring a customer-manueverable 3D image onto the web.

RollerJesus
05-28-2008, 01:04 PM
One method I use is as follows:

I texture the object using convential methods or nodes.
Go back to modeler and select all and create an Atlas UV map.
Jump back into Layout and use the Surface Baking Camera to create a perfect UV map.
Now go back to the texture window and assign the object the UV map you just created.

I'm sure there are some flaws with this method compared to traditional UV mapping, but it works great for me.

DHudson
05-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Hey Iain - when i select any lines going diagonally in the UV texture window and delete them, leaving nice squares it is also deleting geometry of the wood profile I need to texture (the sides disapear). What am I doing wrong?

DHudson
05-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I will try your method too RollerJesus - I will try anything at this point ;)

thank you

DHudson
05-29-2008, 10:13 AM
I used the method described by RollerJesus. It looks like the texure is bit mapped around the edges when I apply the baked image to the UV map. Any thoughts as to what needs to be changed?

I have attached a screen shot for you to see.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Philbert
05-29-2008, 01:19 PM
I don't think deleteing those diagonal lines would be the answer. They are probably supposed to be there, but just didn't get disconnected properly. It would help to see the actual wires of the UV map.

If there are a lot of diagonal lines going to one point, then unweld the model (Ctrl+U) in poly selection mode select those diagonal lines and use the Drag tool to move that one point until it looks right and most importantly does not cross over any other lines. Don't forget to merge points back together when finished (m key).

UV mapping isn't too hard basically just make it so that every poly in the map is the same shape as the same poly on the model, or as close as you can get anyway. Something fun that might help wrap your head around it is this game. Ironically the guy who made it probably has no idea what UV mapping is.
http://nonoba.com/chris/untangle

RollerJesus
05-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I used the method described by RollerJesus. It looks like the texure is bit mapped around the edges when I apply the baked image to the UV map. Any thoughts as to what needs to be changed?

You can try creating a larger outputed uv map from the render globals (or camera) options.

Try lowering the offset from surface to about 20 um under the surface baking camera properties.

Makes sure you applied the UV map to all surfaces too.

Hope this helps!