PDA

View Full Version : Toothbrush Bristles

Weevil
05-19-2008, 08:49 AM
Hey fellow Lw'ers,

I'm trying to animate toothbrush bristles moving over teeth. I tried playing around with collision but with disasterous results. I'm not sure how to proceed.:help:

SplineGod
05-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Depending upon how accurate it needs to be/look you might try bones/morphs and then render the brush and teeth separately(or not depending if the intercollisions look too bad or not.

Weevil
05-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Ok, I'll try a render with the objects together.

JMCarrigan
05-19-2008, 10:13 AM
Which makes me wanna ask about clothFX settings; are there good setting for hair in clothfx. What about the stiffness of a short haircut or toothbrush fibers? I'm going nuts trying to figure out all the combined settings/meaning of clothfx. Also - since I'm asking, is there a way to combine all the fixed points of various hair surfaces into one. (If you break a scalp down into different surface areas for styling purposes - each has a FIXed part - but I need only one for all.)

SplineGod
05-19-2008, 10:20 AM
I havent seen universal settings that work on every model. It always seems to boil down to that specific geometry and how you want to set things up. For example , using clothfx directly on an object or on a proxy and using metalink etc.

Bristles can be made stiff using hold structure, viscosity, etc.

Not only do you have all the separate settings like weight, spring, viscosity etc etc but you also can effect all those with weight maps.

Things can be fixed based on pretty much any sort of way of tagging information onto points...surfaces, part names, point selection sets, weight maps, UVs etc etc.
This also works with editfx as well.

In this example I used a weight map to change the resistance in certain areas so that different parts of the cloth would fall faster then others.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/3dtext.mov

rakker16mm
05-19-2008, 10:48 AM
You might try localized morphing based on distance to object.

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/md.mov

JMCarrigan
05-19-2008, 01:11 PM
For what it's worth. This is a collision with fiberfx and clothfx. I have no idea what I'm doing.

SplineGod
05-19-2008, 01:13 PM
You could also apply IKBoost to your object and use dynamics on the bones.

JMCarrigan
05-19-2008, 01:28 PM
I hadn't seen those 2 movies before I posted my toofbrush. WOW!